Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #1
Erwitt
Erwitt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Kindle Oasis 3 or Kobo Libra H2O at the same price

Hello everyone!

I'm looking a new ereader to replace my old Kindle basic 4. And after lot of researching, I was on the verge of buying a used Kobo Libra H2O.

But now I have find a Kindle Oasis 3 (2019), also used, for almost the same price that the Kobo (around 150€).

So my question is pretty straightforward: do you prefer the Kobo Libra H2O or the Kindle Oasis 3 if the price is not an issue?

I have read a lot of forum and blog posts about this topic, but most of them compare the Kobo with the Oasis 2 or they take into account the price difference. That's why I'm creating this topic.

Thanks for your help!
Erwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it's worth, I've read on both a Libra H2O and an Oasis 3. I prefer the flexibility of the Libra H2O and the ability to modify the software without having to worry about whether the device is jailbreakable. Overall, the Oasis 3 I used had slightly better evenness to the frontlight but neither frontlight was bad enough to make it annoying to use.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have an Oasis 2 and a Libra H20. The Oasis is a more premium device, and if you only read Amazon books it would probably be the better device, but the Libra, and Kobo really, is much better for non Amazon ebooks. The software is easier to use and much simpler to control via Calibre. It really all depends on what you want to read, and where the books come from.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what it's worth, I've read on both a Libra H2O and an Oasis 3. I prefer the flexibility of the Libra H2O and the ability to modify the software without having to worry about whether the device is jailbreakable. Overall, the Oasis 3 I used had slightly better evenness to the frontlight but neither frontlight was bad enough to make it annoying to use.
This. I regularly read with both of them and like them both. The Libra works much better with Calibre, so if you're a heavy Calibre user, get the Libra. If you don't use Calibre, patching/modifying/customizing isn't all that important and the price is more or less the same, get the Oasis.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:15 PM   #5
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I also have both the Libra and the Oasis 3. They are both extremely good ereaders. I live in a hot place (well, actually, a place that swings between being extremely hot, and sometimes, extremely cold). With the Libra I was able to read outside in 88F heat without feeling the device was hot, that was a nice change from the Oasis, and something you might want to consider if you read outside. Just about every time I read outside last year with my Oasis, it would get extremely hot to the touch and shut down with a warning. It frequently reaches 100F and higher here, might not be a factor for you.

I love my Libra, it feels a lot nicer to hold, I love how it changes screen orientation automatically for both portrait and landscape.

My Oasis definitely has a more even screen light though. The screen on the Libra is lovely, the light is not as perfect as on the Oasis 3.

I bought the Libra after having had the Oasis 2 then Oasis 3 for the past 3.5 years. I prefer it.

That is an amazing deal for the Oasis 3 though!

Last edited by Pjama; 04-14-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #6
Erwitt
Erwitt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for your responses!

Regarding the main aspects of your comments:

The lighting in the Libra is one of my biggest concerns, because I read mostly at nights. I have read so much about it's unneveness, but don't know how noticeable it will be reading at low-medium illumination (I don't intend to turn it up to full brightness).

On the other hand, I have also read that the battery of the Oasis doesn't last very long. What's your experience on this?

About where my books come from, I always buy them in Amazon, especially in Kindle Flash offers. Having a Kindle, it was the easiest for me, so usually I don't need Calibre.

That said, I have used it sometimes and had no problems, but I would prefer to send the books to my e-reader directly without having to go through the computer.

If I had a Kobo, I wouldn't mind buying elsewhere if I could find offers similar to Kindle Flash in other stores (my main reason to get an e-reader was to be able to buy books at a very cheap prices).

And also I like the ability to borrow books from the library (my library doesn't support Kindle).
Erwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Re the lighting on the Libra: The attached photo was taken in a room at night, with the only illumination being the Libra's frontlight - how does it look to you?

As for buying books from anywhere, that's the great advantage of Calibre. I just bought a book from Amazon because it was 2-3% cheaper than at Kobo, but after a quick removal of the DRM, I can convert it and load it on to my Libra via Calibre. Kobo's book sales can be quite good too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tY4jItJ.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	186629

Last edited by issybird; 04-15-2021 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Oversize image attached as thumbnail. Please read the guidelines.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #8
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwitt View Post
Thanks for your responses!

Regarding the main aspects of your comments:

The lighting in the Libra is one of my biggest concerns, because I read mostly at nights. I have read so much about it's unneveness, but don't know how noticeable it will be reading at low-medium illumination (I don't intend to turn it up to full brightness).

On the other hand, I have also read that the battery of the Oasis doesn't last very long. What's your experience on this?

About where my books come from, I always buy them in Amazon, especially in Kindle Flash offers. Having a Kindle, it was the easiest for me, so usually I don't need Calibre.

That said, I have used it sometimes and had no problems, but I would prefer to send the books to my e-reader directly without having to go through the computer.

If I had a Kobo, I wouldn't mind buying elsewhere if I could find offers similar to Kindle Flash in other stores (my main reason to get an e-reader was to be able to buy books at a very cheap prices).

And also I like the ability to borrow books from the library (my library doesn't support Kindle).
At the same price, for me it's a no brainer. I would go for the Oasis 3.

The Libra is slower, has an uneven front light screen, tends to wash out the blacks/ contrast.
On the opposite, the Oasis 3 screen is even and sharp, handles the automatic warm light in a more elegant way, has a light sensor so it can adjust the front light intensity automatically and it's a really fast reader.

Not to mention the buttons. I tend to have to press twice sometimes on the Libra, while the Oasis is always ultra responsive.

My experience reading on the Libra is good, but I'm often reminded I'm reading on an e-reader, while the Oasis 3, I forget the device and just enjoy my books.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #9
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

My battery is very poor, and needs recharged two to three times per book, I can't really relax because of this.

Quote:

If you usually buy through Amazon, you would probably be better with the Oasis, unless you are happy to switch to the Kobo store, and also convert all your Kindle books then copy them to your Kobo using your computer.

Quote:
If you are in a country that supports Overdrive, the Kobo supports borrowing from your library direct from the device.

Sounds like you need both!

Seriously, though, it depends whether your priority is convenience of purchasing or being able to use the library.

The Kindle is solid and dependable, with frustratingly few options to adjust reading settings (wide margins - even on narrowest setting, few font bolding options). The Kobo feels very nice in the hand IMO due to the tactile plastic, it is also a more comfortable shape for me to hold.

They are both wonderful readers.

I hope you enjoy whichever one you pick, and please let us know what you decide.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Re the lighting on the Libra: The attached photo was taken in a room at night, with the only illumination being the Libra's frontlight - how does it look to you?

As for buying books from anywhere, that's the great advantage of Calibre. I just bought a book from Amazon because it was 2-3% cheaper than at Kobo, but after a quick removal of the DRM, I can convert it and load it on to my Libra via Calibre. Kobo's book sales can be quite good too.

Attachment 186629
Would you mind taking the photo again with a better camera? The image is not all that clear and too small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:21 PM   #11
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I'm looking a new ereader to replace my old Kindle basic 4. And after lot of researching, I was on the verge of buying a used Kobo Libra H2O.

But now I have find a Kindle Oasis 3 (2019), also used, for almost the same price that the Kobo (around 150€).
Just rereading your post, I noticed that they are both used? I wouldn’t buy a used Libra for Euro 150, isn’t that the price of a new one?

That makes the choice easy - the Oasis is the better bargain.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:21 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given that the Oasis is used, you could end up with a blacklisted device. That means you cannot register it at Amazon and you cannot use it with eBooks from Amazon with DRM.

The Libra is a better device thanks to the better firmware. You can buy eBooks from Amazon, download them as KF8 or Mobi, and remove the DRM. Then you can convert to ePub for reading on your Libra.

The Oasis is not a premium device. It's just an overpriced device and some think because it costs more that it's better which (IMHO) is not true.

I have a PW3 and a Kobo Aura H2O. The H2O uses the same firmware as the Libra and I much prefer Kobo's firmware. Also, you get much better integration with Calibre and much better eBook management.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:23 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Just rereading your post, I noticed that they are both used? I wouldn’t buy a used Libra for Euro 150, isn’t that the price of a new one?

That makes the choice easy - the Oasis is the better bargain.
A new Libra in Europe is 179,99€. So it's up to the OP if he wants to spend the extra 30€ or buy the used one.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-15-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:14 PM   #14
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that the Oasis is used, you could end up with a blacklisted device. That means you cannot register it at Amazon and you cannot use it with eBooks from Amazon with DRM.
A simple call to Amazon can clarify the situation, They're used to that.
Quote:
The Libra is a better device thanks to the better firmware. You can buy eBooks from Amazon, download them as KF8 or Mobi, and remove the DRM. Then you can convert to ePub for reading on your Libra.
My Libra freezes occasionally, is almost unusable to search the store via the device occasionally. The slide to change light intensity doesn't always work the way it should
We can tweak the firmware, but it does not make it any superior to the Kindle.
Quote:
The Oasis is not a premium device. It's just an overpriced device and some think because it costs more that it's better which (IMHO) is not true.
Have you really had an Oasis in your hands?
The built of the Oasis is close to what Apple could deliver. The screen quality is really good, front-light way ahead of the Libra, the contract is better, the device is so much faster and responsive than the Libra. Not to mention the difference of buttons quality.

Quote:
I have a PW3 and a Kobo Aura H2O. The H2O uses the same firmware as the Libra and I much prefer Kobo's firmware. Also, you get much better integration with Calibre and much better eBook management.
And the Kindle devices handle highlighting and footnotes in a better way.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:34 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
A simple call to Amazon can clarify the situation, They're used to that.
Amazon will not unblacklist a blacklisted Kindle. So calling Amazon will do nothing useful.

Quote:
My Libra freezes occasionally, is almost unusable to search the store via the device occasionally. The slide to change light intensity doesn't always work the way it should
We can tweak the firmware, but it does not make it any superior to the Kindle.
I have no idea why your Libra freezes. But if it was a major issue, it would have been reported a lot more here. As for the firmware, even with no patches, it's still better then that of the Kindle.

Quote:
Have you really had an Oasis in your hands?
The built of the Oasis is close to what Apple could deliver. The screen quality is really good, front-light way ahead of the Libra, the contract is better, the device is so much faster and responsive than the Libra. Not to mention the difference of buttons quality.
Yes, I have held an Oasis 3. I didn't find it all that special.

Quote:
And the Kindle devices handle highlighting and footnotes in a better way.
Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with that. Highlighting was improved in one of the 4.2x firmware versions and footnotes do work well.

Tags
kindle oasis 3, kobo libra h2o