Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #61
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Haha... there's probably folks in the South who would think you're the one from another planet.
Nonsense! Bostonians do not have accents.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #62
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I remember listening to a book on Librivox where the reader came across the British spelling of drafty (draughty) and pronounced it draw-ty.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2017, 01:43 AM   #63
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
One of the most annoying Librivox fluffs I ever heard --- A collection of short stories.
And at the start of every story, the narrator informs us the author is "Guy (rhyme with eye) Maussapant." I wonder if he is spinning in his grave.

Librivox has a policy not to inform narrators of mispronunciations, but I would think that the correct *author's name* is a pretty vital part of the book!
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Librivox has a policy not to inform narrators of mispronunciations, but I would think that the correct *author's name* is a pretty vital part of the book!
That's a very silly policy, to my mind. How can narrators know that they're mispronouncing something, and correct the problem, if nobody tells them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:44 AM   #65
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
They don't want their volunteers' feelings hurt; it might drive them away never to return to read aloud again. It is even in the "proof-listener" instructions, that the listener can pretty much only criticize for a re-do things like *extreme* back-ground noise and totally garbled and unintelligible reading. (Unless the reader *asks* for critique of pronunciation.)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They don't want their volunteers' feelings hurt; it might drive them away never to return to read aloud again.
Poor sensitive souls . Seriously, that's a ridiculous policy, I think. They should be aiming to improve the quality of their output.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #67
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
One of the most annoying Librivox fluffs I ever heard --- A collection of short stories.
And at the start of every story, the narrator informs us the author is "Guy (rhyme with eye) Maussapant." I wonder if he is spinning in his grave.
Not being English, how should you pronounce that name then? (I always pronounce it like that in my head...) I'm talking about the first name...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Not being English, how should you pronounce that name then? (I always pronounce it like that in my head...) I'm talking about the first name...
The narrator was getting the "s" and the "p" the wrong way around. It's "Maupassant", not "Mausappant".

Given that he was a French writer, I'm pretty sure he would pronounce his first name "gee" to rhyme with "see", with a hard "g".
Old 06-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #69
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Listening to an audiobook today with a main character "Valentin". The character is supposed to be Russian.

Not being Russian, I can't say for sure, but I'm expecting this to be read as "VAL-en-tin".

The narrator is saying "Val-IN-tin" - which is jarring enough to me, given I'm expecting the other - but about 80% of the time, she's actually saying "Val-IN-tee-in" (as if it were spelled Valentian, not Valentin". It's driving me a little bit crazy.

ETA: Oh, and there's a character "Anastasia" - and she's pronouncing it "Ah-na-sta-SEE-ya".

Last edited by FizzyWater; 06-15-2017 at 08:55 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:48 PM   #70
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
ETA: Oh, and there's a character "Anastasia" - and she's pronouncing it "Ah-na-sta-SEE-ya".
That's how I pronounce it in my head
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #71
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Right now, I'm listening to Grace Conlin read Wharton's The Custom of the Country. She pronounces "coronet" as "coronay" and "egregious" with two hard g's.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #72
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
@issybird As you have an eye (ear) for mispronunciations, and I don't want any in my recordings of my stories, how would you recommend I pronounce ancillary? Not being sure which of the three I could think of might be right, I just chose one and hoped for the best.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
@issybird As you have an eye (ear) for mispronunciations, and I don't want any in my recordings of my stories, how would you recommend I pronounce ancillary? Not being sure which of the three I could think of might be right, I just chose one and hoped for the best.
An-SILL-uh-ree
Old 06-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #74
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An-SILL-uh-ree
an-suh-lair-ee
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
an-suh-lair-ee
I was going to say "that's just weird", but my dictionary tells me that it is indeed the American pronunciation (with the stress on the "an"), but it still sounds weird to me .