Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #31
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I exclusively use my ipad. My wife inherited the K2. On occasion, I'll be somewhere without the ipad and use my iphone.

I use only the kindle app, and could see getting a K3 wi-fi for outdoor reading, but I don't do much of that.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #32
Stngray
Stngray began at the beginning.

Device: nook STR, iPhone 4, 3G iPad
I'm using my iPad exclusively over my 3G nook now. Girlfriend still prefers her nook for ebooks though.
Stngray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #33
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
100% on my iPad, sold my Sony 900 and Nook on Craigslist.

I now buy books with the Kindle App, Nook App, Borders App and use Bluefire for all my Sony ebook needs. And yes I even have a few purchases from iBooks.

Love the larger size and the backlit screen. I better change my profile.

Last edited by trevgriff; 11-30-2010 at 09:09 PM.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #34
Godofbeer
Godofbeer doesn't litterGodofbeer doesn't litter

Device: iphone4
I read/watch a lot, and load balance between my Ipad and Iphone.

*** Ipad:
Textbooks, magazines, web content, larger PDFs, movies.

*** Iphone:
Pleasure reading (novels), email.

-------------

Got the best of both worlds, but unlike the Ipad which usually stays at home, my Iphone is ALWAYS with me. Usually read my novels in bed with the Iphone cause the smaller light emission of the Iphone doesn't disturb the wife as much as the Ipad.

W.
Godofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #35
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godofbeer View Post

*** Ipad:
Textbooks, magazines, web content, larger PDFs, movies.

*** Iphone:
Pleasure reading (novels), email.

-------------

Got the best of both worlds, but unlike the Ipad which usually stays at home, my Iphone is ALWAYS with me. Usually read my novels in bed with the Iphone cause the smaller light emission of the Iphone doesn't disturb the wife as much as the Ipad.

W.
Love your MR name, GodofBeer! LOL Welcome and join in the fun. I tried a few times to read my iPad in bed but found it not comfortable and besides, when I go to bed, I am so ready for sleeping! zzzzzzzz
My hubby is the one who wants to read in bed till he's sleepy, usually about five minutes, LOL
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #36
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I love my Kindle and do most of my reading on that.. I do read on my iPad, mainly library books. If a book is picture heavy( travel guides, art books, medical books), I read it on the iPad.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #37
Godofbeer
Godofbeer doesn't litterGodofbeer doesn't litter

Device: iphone4
MsAstoria:

Nice to meet you too!

What type of fun books books do you like ... away from business and textbooks? Since I'm asking, I'll also share, here's a few of the types I like. Interested in seeing if we share similar tastes ... and if you have new ideas for me.

***Science fiction / fantasy
- Ian Banks
- Greg Bear
- The older guys (Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein, etc.)
- Scott R. Bakker
- Steven R. Donaldson
- Raymond Fiest
- Terry Goodkind
- Tolkein
- Gordon R. Dickson
- David Drake
- Harry Harrison
- James L. Halperin
- Jerry Pournelle
- S. M. Stirling
- Robert Jordan
- David Weber

*** Business / legal / crime / mystery
- Dick Francis
- John Grisham
- John Connolly
- Jonathan Kellerman
- Steig Larrson
- Scott Turow
- James Lee Burke
- Elmore Leonard
- Tom Clancy
- Patricia Cornwell
- John D. MacDonald
- Robert Parker
- David Webb
Godofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #38
DaHarder
DaHarder began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and Sony PRS-700
I really only read my Zinio magazine subscriptions on my iPad, and not for long periods as the thing's just too big, heavy and ungainly to hold in a manner that feels comfortable to me.

As soon as Zinio is released for my Samsung Galaxy Tab/Android, I probably won't ever use my iPad as an eReader, as my Galaxy Tab has become my primary go-anywhere device for almost everything digital-media related.

Note: My other option is the NOOKColor I just bought last weekend, which looks promising as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dav's GTab&iPad&NOOKcolor.jpg
Views:	1441
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	62142  
DaHarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #39
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
[QUOTE=Godofbeer;1247896]MsAstoria:

Nice to meet you too!

What type of fun books books do you like ... away from business and textbooks? Since I'm asking, I'll also share, here's a few of the types I like. Interested in seeing if we share similar tastes ... and if you have new ideas for

Well, i am a big mystey fan so have ton of free books loaded up from both Amazon and Feedbooks. I find some gems at Smashwords too. Currently I am reading Starfish (feedbooks), The Elephant to Hollywood (Amazon $$$), Stupid Christmas (Amazon-free), and Collapse, how societies choose to fail or succeed (Amazon $$$). Yesterday I downloaded some freebie cookbooks from Amazon which i found here on MRin the Dec. Freebie section. It's fun to see how other cultures live and eat.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #40
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godofbeer View Post
I'd probably read a lot more on a handheld device (iPhone, etc.) because of convenience, but at my age the type is just too small (:.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #41
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
I ended up buying a K3 as I was getting too many headaches reading alot on the ipad. No more headacheds with the kindle
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #42
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Not reading on iPad at all

I mainly read on 2 occasions: On the sofa or on the train.
In both instances, I simply find iPad too bulky and heavy.
I don't have any problems at all with the screen though.
But still I partially agree: Since the introduction of affordable and mobile tablets, only few reasons remain for dedicated eBook readers.
Basically, it's battery and contrast.
On the other hand, tablets have tons of additional features.

For the moment, my main gadget is Samsung Galaxy Tab. It perfectly fits in my coat's pocket, so I've got it with me "all the time".
It's the perfect travel companion (Qype and Google "in the wild").
In addition, I take Dell Streak with me. It's compact enough and easily fits in any pocket.
By taking 2 gadgets with me, the battery issue usually is solved. And I find Streak's 5" screen big enough for some quick reading. When I've got more time, I switch to Galaxy Tab.

I'd go for a 7" iPad in an instance. But for now, I actually don't have any real need for that huge display...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #43
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
I sold my kindle dx to get an ipad & haven't looked back since. The main advantage was speed.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #44
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
One other input, I recently got a cheap chinese android tablet, piece of junk, waste of money. But, the size is perfect, that 7 inch screen size is fantastic.
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #45
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I have a few thousand comics, magazines and Trades and they don't work well with e-ink. I use my Pad 95% of the time, even with straight text.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote