Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-31-2022, 04:47 AM   #1
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Includes free Audible book

I bought a number of ebooks from Amazon that alleged to include a free Audible edition.

Is this actually a lie? I can't see them anywhere. I got a S/H Oasis yesterday and it claimed I have Audible [audio] books. But the Library filter has 0 (zero) even after download of all the ebooks (I decided to see what the Kindle Experience is like now without Calibre or PC).

Is Audible in fact a subscription only service, thus there is no free content, just content included in subscription?

If I signed for free trial (and remembered to cancel) would the "free" Audible titles that came with some Kindle ebooks appear on the Oasis?
Would they vanish again when I cancel?

If there were truly free audiobooks with some Kindle eBooks I'd not need to take out a subscription.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:50 AM   #2
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I’ve got a KU trial and the audiobooks are there and also in audible. They will disappear if you return the book or cancel the trial. BUT not all books have included audible for free. I have a few that say I can have an audio version for a few pounds, which if bought will stay on audible even if you return the ebook.
I’ve not seen any ebooks to buy that include a free audible book yet.
I’m fairly impressed with the syncing of audio and text although if you stop the audiobook it restarts at the top of the current page which isn’t always where you stopped initially. Hope this helps.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:18 AM   #3
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the way, in my iOS app you have to click the middle of the page to get a download prompt for the audiobook. You might need to do the same with your Oasis?
Old 08-31-2022, 09:57 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

KU is a subscription service.
So your "experience" is meaningless to someone simply buying ebooks.

Mostly if a book has Audible I see something like
Quote:
Add Audible narration to your purchase for just £2.99
OR
Quote:
Add Audible narration to your purchase for just £8.49
Audiobook £0.99 with Audible Membership
This suggests that you can buy Audible Audio books without subscription?

However I'm baffled. I've looked at about 40 titles I've bought and now can't find any that include the Audible Narration free. Maybe it was a passing special offer to get me to sign up to Audible?
Old 08-31-2022, 10:39 AM   #5
Martinoptic
Bibliolater

Sorry I misinterpreted. However, my “experience” is that the ku audiobooks show up in audible. My ebooks that I bought with the “add audible narration” show up in the kindle app and the audible app. I don’t have an audible subscription so yes you can buy audible audiobooks without one.

Still not seen a free one.

Last edited by Martinoptic; 08-31-2022 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Spelling - trying to type too fast.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:17 AM   #6
Spinningwoman
Connoisseur
Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinningwoman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1
I’ve definitely had some KU books that included free audible narration, though I don’t think I’ve had one for a while. I have an audible subscription so I can’t test this but my guess is that if I didn’t, they would still be playable via the Kindle app, which on iOS now does both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Spinningwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:52 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Not interested in KU or apps.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:48 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningwoman View Post
I’ve definitely had some KU books that included free audible narration, though I don’t think I’ve had one for a while. I have an audible subscription so I can’t test this but my guess is that if I didn’t, they would still be playable via the Kindle app, which on iOS now does both.
You don’t need an Audible subscription to use the Audible app. Former subscribers can still access their library and KU subscribers can use it to listen to free companion audiobooks. Mostly I’ve see free Audible narration on AmazonClassics Editions available through KU.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:53 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

However I'm baffled. I've looked at about 40 titles I've bought and now can't find any that include the Audible Narration free. Maybe it was a passing special offer to get me to sign up to Audible?
I think that’s the likeliest explanation, although I also think that you’ll see the same offer on the next Kindle book you buy, if there’s an associated audiobook. It’s the standard come-on for Audible; the first month, i.e., the first book, is free.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:05 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think that’s the likeliest explanation, although I also think that you’ll see the same offer on the next Kindle book you buy, if there’s an associated audiobook. It’s the standard come-on for Audible; the first month, i.e., the first book, is free.
Thanks. I think that's it. So there wasn't really ever any "free" Audible Narration.
They are variously (on different days) either offering 30 days free, or 99p for a month and then two months free. Then about £8, which would be a waste considering I only listen to audiobooks for research. I'm not doing anything ever that would let me listen to Audiobooks at the same time. If I can concentrate on a book, I'll read one.
I've found Musicolet on Android good for audiobooks in mp3 as it can "remember" location and play folders.
I find cassette tapes far better than CDs as not so many are needed, they are more portable, they "remember" location even if moved to a different player and good enough quality for speech.

I gave away my nearly complete Narnia Cassette Audiobooks because the narration was too much mixed with effects and music. I discovered in 1980s recording narration that that doesn't work. At most you can have a few bars of music between chapters. Almost nothing at a scene break.

I'm really more interested in non-exclusive distribution by Audible than consumption and know two people with subs that use phone apps. One listens on his 50min drive to office, but I can only have music or stuff I'm not concentrating on when driving, certainly not BBC R4 radio play, book at bed-time or audio books.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:44 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
You own Audible narration for this Kindle Book
Banner after purchasing the ebook and NOT ticking the box to add the Audible Narration for £3.48
But underneath they want my phone number to send a link for App. But I have an Oasis gen 9 on my account, which does audible.

(BTW if you select Download rather than an ereader before Clicking Buy, the bank payment screen doesn't load. Blank page and url is bifrost api or something.)

If I log into Audible using my Amazon account the "Library" is empty