Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
pricciar
pricciar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Purchased a new Kobo Libra H2O Reader what Calibre Plug-ins should I install

After allowing commenters her twist my arm and convince me I ordered a Libra H2O from the Kobo website (oddly, it appears to be out of stock now. I don't know what that means, but I am super happy that I got it a day before that happened.) While it is on its way to me, I thought I should prepare by getting some of my books converted to the KEPUB format, and got the right plug-ins installed in Calibre.

What are the must have plugins to use Calibre with Kobo effectively?
I searched around installed these 4

Kobo Utilities
Looks like this will allow me to update metadata in books, and work with collections inside of Calibre.

KoboTouchExtended
I guess this allows for epubs to be converted to kepub?

That's what I have so far. Any other suggestions? Should I convert my books now, or wait until I get the thing and convert as I copy over to the device?

Any advice is welcomed!

Thank you.
pricciar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
The only one I use is the driver so that I can sideload kepub.
And I looked up how to install the bookerly don't from my kindles.
Other than that, it was all good, already.

Get used to it , then look for add one of your,e missing anything

E.g. most screens don't tell me the time so a persistent clock is something I may search out one day
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
With KoboTouchExtended you convert to kepub when sending the books to the reader, so you can't do this yet.

DeDRM plugin for removing drm.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Though I perversely use the "KoboTouchExtended" driver for my Kobos with kepub generation turned off.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Though I perversely use the "KoboTouchExtended" driver for my Kobos with kepub generation turned off.
Me too...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I read mostly ePub because I much prefer the better typesetting with ePub. With KePub, the typesetting is not nearly as good.

You also want Kobo Utilities. That allows you to backup the database every time you connect your Kobo to your library among a lot of other useful things.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricciar View Post
After allowing commenters her twist my arm and convince me I ordered a Libra H2O from the Kobo website (oddly, it appears to be out of stock now. I don't know what that means, but I am super happy that I got it a day before that happened.) While it is on its way to me, I thought I should prepare by getting some of my books converted to the KEPUB format, and got the right plug-ins installed in Calibre.

Kobo Utilities
Looks like this will allow me to update metadata in books, and work with collections inside of Calibre.

KoboTouchExtended

That's what I have so far. Any other suggestions? Should I convert my books now, or wait until I get the thing and convert as I copy over to the device?

Any advice is welcomed!
Twp of those at least. For me, davidfor's KoboUtilities plugin and KoboTouch driver are necessities.

For the few kepubs I'm using, I've been using geek1011's kepubify with the -calibre option (saves the output file as .kepub so it can co-exist with the original epub in my calibre library). Handy for testing and the few ebooks I have where I want to be able to zoom images. This makes the KoboTouchExtended driver a non-starter for me. Having both versions also helps when I want to compare the behaviour of the two renderers. There are some odd differences between their behaviour in such items as font handling.

Otherwise, I use the Quality Check, ModifyEPUB and KindleUnpack plugins. And of course, the deDRM and obok plugins. Other plugins that are used lightly used (ScambleEbook, for example) tend to get installed as needed and then removed after use.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
My opinion is, none. Get the device and play first. Read an epub and see how you like it. f you want to try a kepub, get something free from the Kobo store. Or simply rename an epub on the device to have the extension ".kepub.epub". That will work well enough to see if the differences (but, you can't save bookmarks/annotations and the reading position is at the start of the chapter).

The built-in KoboTouch driver will handle getting books to the device fine. It can also update the metadata if you change it.

Otherwise, I tend to say, all of them. You can enable or disable the KoboTouchExtended driver depending on whether you want read particular books in different format. Or you can convert to kepub with the KepubOutput plugin. In which case you also need the kepub metadata reader and writer plugins. And you may as well add the KepubInput plugin. And my Kobo Utilities has a lot of functions, but, if nothing interests you, it isn't needed. But, other than the KoboTouchExtended driver, if they are installed, they don't do anything unless you use them. The extended driver needs to be disabled if you don't want its function.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:19 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The copy selected book's annotations to window for clipboard of the Kobo Utilities is wonderfully fast and ideal if saving them to some other program. I've saved over €1000 now in paper and toner doing proof reading on the Kobo.
SaveAS Docx -> Convert to epub2 in Calibre -> Calibre to Kobo -> Proof and annotate -> Calibre Kobo Utilities -> notes to KATE or Notepad++ in a window beside source in Wordprocessor -> SaveAs incremented version in native format (ODT) -> Edit notes -> Spell & Grammar & Regex searches -> SaveAs incremented verison -> add/delete/rewrite -> Spell & Grammar & Regex searches -> Extra SaveAs Docx for Calibre again.

I download "Kindle format with Images" from Gutenberg and then use Calibre conversion to epub2 with "Smarten punctuation" "Remove paragraph spacing" "Add first line indent of 1.4 em".

For other formats I convert the "cleaned" epub2 version.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:43 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing I highly suggest is going to the Calibre plugin forum and reading what all the plugins do and deciding which ones interest you. Yes you can ask questions about the plugins.

One plugin not mentioned here that I do use a lot of the Reading List plugin.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:56 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricciar View Post

Kobo Utilities

KoboTouchExtended

Any advice is welcomed!

Thank you.
I only use KoboTouchExtended. I don't use Kobo Utilities.

As for converting to kepub, you don't need to. When you connect your Kobo to Calibre and send books to the device, KoboTouchExtended will automagically convert as it sends. So you will have a kepub on the Aura and still have an ePub or whatever format on your hard drive.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-02-2020 at 06:06 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calbire, kobo, kobo libra h2o, plug-ins