Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-29-2020, 11:49 PM   #1
pricciar
pricciar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Worth it jumping from the Kindle Paperwhite (4th gen) to Kobo Libra H2O

Hi All,

I've been using a Kindle of some sort for ten years now. For the most part, I like it a lot, but small things have always bothered me a little bit. And, looking at the Kobo Libra H2O it seems to answer a lot of my small problems with the Kindle, so I am writing this post to get some advice.

First, I will talk about how I currently use my Kindle.

I tend to keep Airplane mode on at all times, and sideload books using Calibre. I have books that I have gotten from places like Tor (the sf publisher) that are in Epub format, or even when I get a book from the library (these are usually in mobi, or azw format), I download them to my computer, and copy it to the device.

Does the H2O work as well with Calibre as the Kindle does? Is it reasonable to expect to be able to maintain my library as I have been doing it?

When I read I often use the touch screen to select text for 3 major reasons. 1) To make note of interesting quotes. 2) To check the dictionary to see the meaning of a word. 3) To search the rest of the book for a character name, to remind myself if I missed who a character was halfway through the book.)

I've never been particularly happy with highlighting text to make note of it on the Kindle. It always takes me a few tries to get the exact words I want. Sometimes it is so frustrating I just forget the whole thing.

Does this work any better on the H2O? I realize that touch screens with e-ink can't be expected to be as good as on a tablet, but I was hoping for perhaps an easier to use interface. Or, maybe I just need to lose weight in my finger tips.

On the other hand, the dictionary and search features work flawlessly on the Kindle. I click on the word, and it's dead simple to get either a definition, or click on the magnifying glass to search the book. Sometimes, when I add a new book and try a search I have to wait a while, because it hasn't been indexed, yet. But, I've never come across an unsearchable text.

How does this activity compare on the Kobo Libra H2O? Does searching/spell checking work in all formatted books, or only books that were specially formatted for the Kobo?

What caused me to consider switching?
1) I love the physical buttons.
2) A little bit of a bigger screen is pretty cool.
3) I've always wanted to put the cover of the book I am currently reading as my Kindle screensaver, but I have never been able to.
4) Being able to rotate the Kindle so I can read in Landscape is something I would do with my Kindle now and then until remembering I wasn't on a tablet. Actually having the feature would be neat.
4) Grass is always greener.

What is giving me pause?
1) Portability. I've always been able to fit the kindle in my pocket and go everywhere with it.
2) Search/Getting definitions. I use that often enough, that I would really miss it if Kobo didn't have the capability.
3) I've heard the lighting sometimes doesn't work quite right.
4) I don't have any experience using any Kobo products.
5) I don't actually need it. My Paperwhite is fine.

I'd appreciate any help that you can give me.

Thank you!
pricciar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:30 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricciar View Post
I tend to keep Airplane mode on at all times, and sideload books using Calibre. I have books that I have gotten from places like Tor (the sf publisher) that are in Epub format, or even when I get a book from the library (these are usually in mobi, or azw format), I download them to my computer, and copy it to the device.

Does the H2O work as well with Calibre as the Kindle does? Is it reasonable to expect to be able to maintain my library as I have been doing it?
It's probably a bit immodest of me to say it, but, calibre works better with Kobo devices than any other. The absolute basics are the same (send books, convert as necessary). But, it can also maintain collections and update metadata without updating the book. That includes series info. Then there are ways to get the reading status from the books on the device. Plus lots of other tricks.
Quote:
When I read I often use the touch screen to select text for 3 major reasons. 1) To make note of interesting quotes. 2) To check the dictionary to see the meaning of a word. 3) To search the rest of the book for a character name, to remind myself if I missed who a character was halfway through the book.)

I've never been particularly happy with highlighting text to make note of it on the Kindle. It always takes me a few tries to get the exact words I want. Sometimes it is so frustrating I just forget the whole thing.

Does this work any better on the H2O? I realize that touch screens with e-ink can't be expected to be as good as on a tablet, but I was hoping for perhaps an easier to use interface. Or, maybe I just need to lose weight in my finger tips.
The annotation system is basically the same. In the past, I think people said selecting text on Kindles was better than on a Kobo. This has improved in recent firmware.
Quote:
On the other hand, the dictionary and search features work flawlessly on the Kindle. I click on the word, and it's dead simple to get either a definition,
This is the same. But, the dictionaries supplied by Kobo are not as extensive as those on the Kindle.
Quote:
or click on the magnifying glass to search the book. Sometimes, when I add a new book and try a search I have to wait a while, because it hasn't been indexed, yet. But, I've never come across an unsearchable text.

How does this activity compare on the Kobo Libra H2O? Does searching/spell checking work in all formatted books, or only books that were specially formatted for the Kobo?
Kobo doesn't have a way to search for text across books. I think that is what you are asking. Within an open book, it works well.
Quote:

The only "doesn't work quite right" that I can think of for the light in the Libra H2O, is that some people say it is uneven. I agree it isn't perfectly even across the full screen, but, I don't see it as an issue. I tend to see the shadows on the screen external sources causing more problems than the light. But, this is personal thing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:33 AM   #3
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Hi All,

I've been using a Kindle of some sort for ten years now. For the most part, I like it a lot, but small things have always bothered me a little bit. And, looking at the Kobo Libra H2O it seems to answer a lot of my small problems with the Kindle, so I am writing this post to get some advice.

First, I will talk about how I currently use my Kindle.

On the other hand, the dictionary and search features work flawlessly on the Kindle. I click on the word, and it's dead simple to get either a definition, or click on the magnifying glass to search the book. Sometimes, when I add a new book and try a search I have to wait a while, because it hasn't been indexed, yet. But, I've never come across an unsearchable text.

What caused me to consider switching?
1) I love the physical buttons.
2) A little bit of a bigger screen is pretty cool.
3) I've always wanted to put the cover of the book I am currently reading as my Kindle screensaver, but I have never been able to.
4) Being able to rotate the Kindle so I can read in Landscape is something I would do with my Kindle now and then until remembering I wasn't on a tablet. Actually having the feature would be neat.
4) Grass is always greener.

What is giving me pause?
1) Portability. I've always been able to fit the kindle in my pocket and go everywhere with it.
2) Search/Getting definitions. I use that often enough, that I would really miss it if Kobo didn't have the capability.
4) I don't have any experience using any Kobo products.
5) I don't actually need it. My Paperwhite is fine.

I'd appreciate any help that you can give me.

Thank you!
If you want the bigger screen but also are afraid of the portability issue, bigger screen is probably more important. Even if you find it too big to fit in you pocket and absolutely hate bringing it around, you can always use your Libra as you home reader and your Paperwhite as an on-the-go reader. You want the physical buttons, ability to set your book cover as screensaver and landscape mode. Why not go for it? It's a pretty good upgrade over the Paperwhite.

As for the Kobo software, it has some pros and cons over the Kindle's. One of Kobo's major pros over Kindle is that it has Overdrive integration out-of-the-box while Kindle doesn't ( unless you live in the US). Not to mention Pocket integration for news articles too.

Lighting-wise, there IS some kind of issue, but its not THAT big of a deal.. Some people are more sensitive to it than others though, with some completely not being able to stand it at all, to some barely(or even not) noticing it. It depends on yourself.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
pricciar

Quote:
It's probably a bit immodest of me to say it, but, calibre works better with Kobo devices than any other. The absolute basics are the same (send books, convert as necessary). But, it can also maintain collections and update metadata without updating the book. That includes series info. Then there are ways to get the reading status from the books on the device. Plus lots of other tricks.
That's great to know! I didn't realize the integration was tighter between Kobo and Calibre. That is, for sure, a huge feather in the Kobo cap. I'm intrigued by the "lots of other tricks" and I will be sure to look into them once I get a Kobo.

Why would it be immodest? Do you work on Calibre? If so, Kudos, I love it.

Quote:
Kobo doesn't have a way to search for text across books. I think that is what you are asking. Within an open book, it works well.
Nope! I meant in a single book. Although, I'm surprised it doesn't allow for cross book searching. That seems simple enough. But, the lack of that is irrelevant to my wants.

Quote:
If you want the bigger screen but also are afraid of the portability issue, bigger screen is probably more important. Even if you find it too big to fit in you pocket and absolutely hate bringing it around, you can always use your Libra as you home reader and your Paperwhite as an on-the-go reader. You want the physical buttons, ability to set your book cover as screensaver and landscape mode. Why not go for it? It's a pretty good upgrade over the Paperwhite.
Yeah. I think you are right. I needed a sanity check from those in the know to make sure I would be happy with the new reader., and that I wasn't falling for marketing hype. These two responses have definitely nudged me in the direction of getting it.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have several Kindles and a Kobo Libra. The Libra is an excellent reader and the only thing I really miss is the global search (i.e. across all your books), which you say isn't important for you. OTOH the Libra has many more customization options, with the help of patches (look into the Kobo Developers forum for the patching info) and works better with Calibre. You can choose whether you wish to read your books in the kepub or epub format - both have their pros and cons. Most people prefer the kepub, but not all.

If you use Calibre anyway, I think you'll be happy with the Libra. I certainly am with mine (though I still read on my Kindles too).

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-30-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #6
pricciar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
OTOH the Libra has many more customization options, with the help of patches (look into the Kobo Developers forum for the patching info) and works better with Calibre.
Thanks for the information, but especially this tip. I had assumed that forum was specifically for people doing the actual development, and not for users desiring to download patches or upgrades. I will look around in there.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Thanks for the information, but especially this tip. I had assumed that forum was specifically for people doing the actual development, and not for users desiring to download patches or upgrades. I will look around in there.
One warning, looking into all the patches and soforth before you even own a Kobo can be overwhelming.

From what you wrote in your first post, a Kobo Libra seems like it would work well for you. As David said, Kobo plays MUCH better with Calibre and it does all the other things you mentioned.

The dictionary on a Kobo isn't quite as good as the one the Kindle uses. That's never been an issue for me, but I'm not a big dictionary user myself.

Look into the patches, but don't worry if it makes your head swim. Kobo out of the box is a good experience. The patches just tweak the experience, but aren't necessary to make the device usable.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
As for the Kobo software, it has some pros and cons over the Kindle's. One of Kobo's major pros over Kindle is that it has Overdrive integration out-of-the-box while Kindle doesn't ( unless you live in the US). Not to mention Pocket integration for news articles too.
I think one of Kobo major strengths is eBook management. Kobo is very much superior in eBook management with many different ways to display the books.. With Calibre, eBook management is very easy. On Kindle, eBook management is rather poor even with Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've not bothered with any patches on any of my Kobos. I use a Kobo Libra, sometimes 12 hours a day.
I find it best for Collections, Series and export Annotations. Creating collections on the Kindle is painful and doing it at all from Calibre only works easily if it's an ancient Kindle.
The highlighting used to be slower and more awkward than the Kindle PW3 but now is easier and faster, even on the old Kobo H2O original.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #10
pricciar

Thanks all. I ended up ordering it today.
This is good news for everyone. This means it will go on sale in a week or so!
Old 04-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That's great to know! I didn't realize the integration was tighter between Kobo and Calibre. That is, for sure, a huge feather in the Kobo cap. I'm intrigued by the "lots of other tricks" and I will be sure to look into them once I get a Kobo.

Why would it be immodest? Do you work on Calibre? If so, Kudos, I love it.
Yes, I maintain the KoboTouch driver in calibre and created the Kobo Utilities plugin. Plus help with the other Kobo related plugins as needed.
Quote:
Nope! I meant in a single book. Although, I'm surprised it doesn't allow for cross book searching. That seems simple enough. But, the lack of that is irrelevant to my wants.
Without some sort of indexing of the books, searching them on low-powered devices would be slow. And use a lot of power.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle paperwhite, kindle vs kobo, kobo libra h2o