Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #31
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Great - thank you!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #32
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'll third Emma. (Sorry, stuartjmz.)
No apologies necessary - my forum title is simple truth, no mere whim
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #33
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I see it's only £3.99 in the UK, or roughly five bucks US.
Ah, that makes a difference - and my library has it also. So I second The Seventh Cross.

And welcome to the Club, Victoria.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #34
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

The Seventh Cross is $16.99 at Kobo NZ, $5NZ cheaper than the $13.99US Amazon is asking. But I'd happily trade that for escaping Emma!

On a tangential note, while checking Overdrive to see if my local libraries had The Seventh Cross (they don't), Overdrive suggested some other Anna Seghers works for me to ask my library to purchase. The title of one of them really grabbed me: Der Ausflug der Toten Mädchen. The book itself would be well beyond my German now, but this was a great example of the value and importance of a strong title. I'm very curious about the book now, just on the strength of that intriguing title.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #35
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
The Seventh Cross is $16.99 at Kobo NZ, $5NZ cheaper than the $13.99US Amazon is asking. But I'd happily trade that for escaping Emma!
stuartjmz, you may not be aware of the rules concerning protocol within the nomination thread. The relevant section is below:

Quote:
We want the book club to be a friendly and positive forum for everyone who would like to participate. With that in mind, all posts must meet the MR guidelines and should follow these additional guidelines for the book club:

* No wrangling about nominations, unless a book is clearly ineligible (see eligibility requirements) all nominations are accepted. That does not mean all nominations will be seconded/thirded.
* Electioneering is fine but please keep it civil and respectful. Please avoid disparaging a nomination and judgmental words in general. No negative campaigning.
In other words, no negative comments (especially more than once) about a particular nomination.
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #36
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

My apologies, Bookpossum. I was genuinely not aware that anything I'd said breached any of those protocols. All I ever expressed was my personal reaction to the book, clearly stressed as such. I made no negative comments about the book at all, and did praise the author for her skill. Nevertheless,now that I know that purely personal reactions ARE considered to be negative comments here, I shall be more careful in future. Thanks for the clarification, it's an interesting restriction of expression that will require some careful consideration.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #37
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

It applies during the nomination and voting stages. Once the book which is chosen is up for discussion, everyone is free to say what they think about it, subject always to MR guidelines in terms of language etc.

The rules were agreed when the Club was created because of the damage done to the old original MobileRead Book Club because of derogatory comments and arguments over nominations and during the voting process.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #38
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

No problem. The number of books to which I reacted strongly enough to pose any threat of a repeat infraction is vanishingly small, which will make compliance easier
Old 01-05-2019, 12:17 AM   #39
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
It applies during the nomination and voting stages. Once the book which is chosen is up for discussion, everyone is free to say what they think about it, subject always to MR guidelines in terms of language etc.

The rules were agreed when the Club was created because of the damage done to the old original MobileRead Book Club because of derogatory comments and arguments over nominations and during the voting process.
Yes, I think we all just wanted a much more collegial atmosphere. I know I'd reached my limit of the behaviour in the old club. And worse, it tended to bring out my own bad behaviour, which I did not like in myself.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #40
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I've never read a book by David Baldacci, but it looks like I can get a copy from the library in plenty of time to read it, so I'll second The Winner.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm torn, but since I've read Ripley (which is terrific) and not read The Seventh Cross, I'm giving my third nod to the latter.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #42
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm torn, but since I've read Ripley (which is terrific) and not read The Seventh Cross, I'm giving my third nod to the latter.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #43
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I may skip this month. Although, I'll point out a couple of titles that may be suitable, if someone wants to nominate them. The first is 'The Baker's Daughter' By Sarah McCoy. I just finished reading this. A nice read. The second, I'm reading now is called 'The Baker's Secret' by Stephen Kiernan.

Both are WWII books, where the baker has certain secret's she'd carry to her grave, if necessary.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #44
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
There's a day to go for nominations.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #45
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I may skip this month. Although, I'll point out a couple of titles that may be suitable, if someone wants to nominate them. The first is 'The Baker's Daughter' By Sarah McCoy. I just finished reading this. A nice read. The second, I'm reading now is called 'The Baker's Secret' by Stephen Kiernan.

Both are WWII books, where the baker has certain secret's she'd carry to her grave, if necessary.
Interesting. I read The Baker's Secret last year and never even thought of it for this theme, but it fits. I mostly liked it, but for some disturbing scenes.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote