Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Kindle Wish List $5 credit ????

As I was looking at a couple of Kindle books this morning, I noticed that I had a credit being applied, and I was unaware of anything I had done to earn a credit.

When I clicked on the credit for more info, the following popped up:

Quote:
Your Digital Promotions

Total credit balance: $5.00
Special Wish List Credit : $5.00
Expires in 4d
How it works
Credit(s) will be automatically applied to your next qualifying eBook purchase. Credit does not apply to Audible narration.

Confirmation of usage will appear on the Order Summary page. Any remaining credit will carry over to the next qualifying eBook purchase.
I still have no idea if I did anything to earn this credit, but sure don't remember doing anything.

Also, I've now checked it on four books, and it would work on all of them. But none are on my wish list, so it's not that...

Anyway, I'm just posting because it may be worthwhile to look and see if you too have had a mysterious credit pop up...

Oh yeah, Kindle US...I don't have one on my Kindle UK account...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
bookmarked
Addict
bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Nexus 7, iPod Touch 4, HP TouchPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
As I was looking at a couple of Kindle books this morning, I noticed that I had a credit being applied, and I was unaware of anything I had done to earn a credit.

When I clicked on the credit for more info, the following popped up:

I still have no idea if I did anything to earn this credit, but sure don't remember doing anything.

Also, I've now checked it on four books, and it would work on all of them. But none are on my wish list, so it's not that...

Anyway, I'm just posting because it may be worthwhile to look and see if you too have had a mysterious credit pop up...

Oh yeah, Kindle US...I don't have one on my Kindle UK account...
I got an email a few days ago telling me I had this or a similar credit. It referred to one of my wish list titles: "Triumphant" by Jack Campbell, a fairly new title. Some of the fine print implied it would work on other books. After checking many other titles I am interested in, it appears to only apply to books from Random House or Penguin (yes, same company, but Amazon still has separate listings) that are at least $9.99. Some other eligible titles are The Ultimate Hitchhikers Trilogy, several America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Country cookbooks, and a few other SF titles that I can't recall.

Also, the credit is only good for 6 days from issue.
bookmarked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Happened to me the other day, was completely puzzled to see a credit applied to a book I was looking at. My wish lists are pretty extensive but spent some time trying random books and found about ten I could have used the credit on. (Ended up buying two...Amazon knows me so well...)

Then, 12 hours later I got this email:
“Dear Amazon.com Customer,
Thank you for adding The Spies of Shilling Lane: A Novel to your Wish List. We have applied a $5 Kindle book credit to your account to use on this book.
You can claim this credit within 7 days from when it is applied to your account.

• This offer is by invitation only.
• This is a limited time offer.
• Offer limited to one per customer and account. Offer can be used on multiple eBooks, in multiple transactions, up to a maximum benefit of $15.00 USD.
• Offer can only apply to 1 unit in a bulk order purchase.
• Offer does not apply to physical goods, digital magazines, audiobooks (including Audible companions for your Kindle eBook purchase), print books, or digital subscriptions such as Kindle Unlimited.
• Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
• Digital content and services may only be available to customers located in the U.S. and are subject to the terms and conditions of Amazon Digital Services LLC.
• Promotional offer expires 7 days after it is applied to the customer account.
• If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
• Amazon.com reserves the right to modify or cancel this promotion at any time.
• If you violate any of the Terms and Conditions, the offer will be invalid.”

Really just wish they’d give us a list of eligible titles.
Ironically, the book that triggered my credit was on a list I keep to remind me to check the public library, not something I would buy (good thing, too, ended up checking it out but returned almost immediately .)
Still have a balance for one more...
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmarked View Post
I got an email a few days ago telling me I had this or a similar credit... it appears to only apply to books from Random House or Penguin... that are at least $9.99.
Hey, I've been wanting to purchase the Penguin Classics edition of Manon Lescaut by Abbe Prevost. It's $9.99. I've added to my wishlist. Fingers crossed.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
bookmarked
Addict
bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookmarked ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hey, I've been wanting to purchase the Penguin Classics edition of Manon Lescaut by Abbe Prevost. It's $9.99. I've added to my wishlist. Fingers crossed.

That one doesn't appear to be eligible, at least for the credit I got. The publisher/distributer is listed as "PEN UK", so that may not count. Or it may just be that only some books are eligible according to some other criteria I haven't figured out.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmarked View Post
That one doesn't appear to be eligible, at least for the credit I got. The publisher/distributer is listed as "PEN UK", so that may not count. Or it may just be that only some books are eligible according to some other criteria I haven't figured out.
Bummer. Guess I'll just keep watching ereaderiq.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
I got this, but only for George R. R. Martins' "Fire & Blood: 300 Years Before A Game of Thrones". Which I would love to get, but not for $10.99 ($5 off). I checked a few other books on my wish list and a few other random books but couldn't find anything else that it would work for.
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And my own email arrived just about an hour ago, several hours after the credit appeared in my Kindle account. My T&Cs are the same as @mitford13 listed above.

The potentially nice part is that I bought two titles this morning, one for $1.99 and one for $2.99, and it worked on them, even though they weren't more than $9.99 - although both were on sale, down from a "normal" price of more than $9.99. So I got them for free. And yes, I've checked the receipts for the two titles and they definitely show free.

(But this could also be potentially not so nice if this is really just three $5 uses up to $15, rather than truly multiple uses up to a total of $15. In that case, I under-utilized it a bit by using on $1.99 and $2.99 titles. But WTH, you can't always optimize everything, especially when they don't tell you the rules until several hours later .)

As folks seem to have figured out, the titles it has appeared as if it would work on are all various imprints of Penguin or Random House.

Time to go do some more exploring...
Old 06-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #9
bookmarked
Addict

Kindle Wish List $5 credit ????

Good to know about the sale books, I'll have to keep hunting. Don't take my comment about $9.99 as official - I've just been unable to find any eligible titles below that amount.

The book mentioned in my email - Triumphant - is pretty new, so it's priced at $13.99. A $5 discount puts it at $8.99. I haven't jumped on this deal yet because I can travel to the UK and get the book for around $6, it's usual price there.

A few more eligible SF&F titles I've found:
Ready Player One
Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
Free Space by Sean Danker (but not book 1 Admiral in the same series)
Elric: Swords and Roses & Elric: In the Dream Realms both by Michael Moorcock

Last edited by bookmarked; 06-28-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot, one of the books I got was a Daily Deal for $1.99, Alison Weir’s Elizabeth of York, which was then free and I’m showing a $3.01 credit available.
The Imagineers of War by Sharon Weinberger
The Thirty Years War by C.V. Wedgwood
LOA edition of John Quincy Adams’ Diaries Vol. II (but not Vol. I )
are all eligible

Suefue, care to share what your sale books were? Wouldn’t mind using up my pennies...
Old 06-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

One of them was a Daily Deal, so not still on sale today...

The other one, I thought was a Daily Deal, but maybe not, or sometimes "Daily" Deals do last more than one day :

Bad Love by Jonathan Kellerman for $2.99: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBFN9M/
I'm not usually a huge Kellerman fan, but with the credit, I figured, free - why not...

Other authors I have found that the credit can apply to at least some of their books: Alan Bradley (Flavia de Luce), Andrea Camilleri (Insp Montalbano), Laurie King (Mary Russell, haven't checked other series), Sujata Massey (couple of series), Martin Walker (Bruno, another great series IMO), Fred Vargas (series I've just discovered, and really like), Georges Simenon/Maigret (classic), John Mortimer/Rumpole (another classic), Laura Joh Rowland (Sano Ichiro). These are all mystery authors, since that's mostly what I read in fiction. I also found several non-fiction titles, but they are all expensive enough that even with $5 off, I'm not biting, and so I didn't keep track of them.

It's odd that your credit is showing $3.01 - mine still shows $5, even after the two purchases.

I think what I am going to do is watch for sale titles in the next couple of days - mine now says it expires in 3 days. And then at the end of the second day, well before 3 days, if I haven't found more sale titles, I'll use it on the most recent of one or more of my favorite series, since I usually wait for sales, but don't mind getting to read sooner...

Still not sure if this is limited to three books, in which case I might have only one more, or really $15 total across multiple books (max $5 on each), or something else entirely....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
I forgot, one of the books I got was a Daily Deal for $1.99, Alison Weir’s Elizabeth of York, which was then free and I’m showing a $3.01 credit available.
The Imagineers of War by Sharon Weinberger
The Thirty Years War by C.V. Wedgwood
LOA edition of John Quincy Adams’ Diaries Vol. II (but not Vol. I )
are all eligible

Suefue, care to share what your sale books were? Wouldn’t mind using up my pennies...
Old 06-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
I coupled mine with Great on Kindle rebates and got four expensive books for less than the price of two: Quiet (Susan Cain); Hitler - Ascent (Volker Ullrich); Dark Money (Jane Mayer); America - The Epic Story of North America (Robert Goodwin). Added to that was Chernow’s Hamilton on sale but free after discount (which I’ve been dying to re-read in peace after racing to get through it from the library, and it’s been a red letter week for me. Too bad these discounts don’t work with more publishers, but I’m thrilled with what I got. Yippee!
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
mitford13
Guru

Thanks for the new titles, all. Time to do some more browsing!
Old 06-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Didn't work for me, so there must be some limitation.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #15
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

I think you probably had to have gotten the email, even if it did come well after the credit appeared. I'm sad you didn't get it...

I'm guessing ??? perhaps it was if you had one or more Penguin or Random House books on your wish list - the book it referenced in the email I got was a Random House non-fiction title priced at $14.99.

But as mentioned above, the credit has also been appearing for some, but not all Penguin and Random House titles for me. I'm going to have to make some decisions today - I don't want to leave it to the last moment, since sometimes credits expire a bit early (or late).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Didn't work for me, so there must be some limitation.