Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #25606
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Just got the new Time Shifters series book by Shanna Lauffey, Sweet Child of Time. Already hooked!

If you like intelligent time travel, I highly recommend this series.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #25607
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Kindle T, NT4B; Nexus 7
A Shadow of All Night Falling (The Dread Empire: A Cruel Wind #1)
Glen Cook
3.5 Stars

This felt very much like "The Black Company, The Early Drafts". Still enjoyed it though.
Ravensknight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:44 AM   #25608
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Finished The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst (whose last name my earlier read Lingo informs me is a now disused past tense of “dare”, although undoubtedly it's derived from other roots), which is 1st in her new Queens of Renthia series and was on the library's feature shelf with a sticker proclaiming it to be “Virginia's Staff Pick”. Virginia seems to have pretty good taste, as this had some of the more interesting worldbuilding I've read in recent years. The plot setup was pretty standard and executed well enough with a few pleasant misdirections of my expectations: the titular “Queen of Blood” ended up being someone other than I thought the narrative was setting it up to be, among other nice surprises.

But the background culture and revealed details of the setting were quite novel and engaging and done in a convincingly cohesive manner (back cover flap blurb says the author has previously won a Mythopoeic Fantasy Award), taking place in an elemental magic world where tree-dwelling mostly non-magical humans (albeit with unusual skin colours, for which leaf-green is an option)—who've built skybridge-connected cities within a megaforest and may have never set foot on the actual forest floor—live in uneasy harmony with destructive nature spirits kept in check by a non-hereditary merit-based queen who is selected from women with the rare ability to control the spirits. There are nice touches like a science-based tech trick being considered “magic” by people who use and are used to actual spirit magic, and a complex DIY transportation system outside the cities, apparently consisting of one part Tarzan swinging and one part ski-lift-style wire-gliding, plus counter-weighted lifting baskets. Although some part of me can't help but wonder about the public sanitation arrangements for the tree cities, though it's probably for the best that there wasn't a Victor Hugo-style Parisian sewer digression chapter.

Recommended if you think you might be interested in a mildly non-standard coming-of-age/world-problem-solving fantasy with slightly YA sensibilities (the author usually writes YA, and this shows some traces of it in the training montages for the girls studying for queen-candidacy and the important life lessons they learn) literally elevated by taking place in a rather unusual setting. I really liked this novel, which turns out to have been a self-contained pre-emptive stealth prequel (author's note in the back said that editor liked the original idea she pitched, but proposed that it become #2 in the series and give the backstory of another character as #1), and look forward to seeing more of the world in future installments, as well as what some of the characters eventually went on to do.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM   #25609
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Kindle T, NT4B; Nexus 7
The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small #7)
James Herriot
Unrated

Had reached my fill of animal stories and small time farmers who were "characters". So I abandoned this at 10%. Should have quit the series about 2 books back...
Ravensknight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:20 AM   #25610
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
All in all, it was an okay read, and since I have already bought all the four books in the series, I will read the next one Ancient for now, to observe the development in the character of Brian Sadler and his next adventures.
Finished Ancient, the second book of the Brian Sadler series by Bill Thompson. In this book, the author has greatly improved upon my expectations, which encourages me to read the third book of the series, The Strangest Thing.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:42 PM   #25611
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Broken Window by Jeffery Deaver.
I took a ten month break from the Lincoln Rhyme series, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with me liking this book better than the previous books, but I did. It took me a while to get into (mostly due to a new computer game, not the fault of the book), but once I was past the half way point I finished it in a day and a half.

Lately, I'm getting annoying with crime series where the main character(s) always end up in personal danger. This was one book I didn't mind it when the bad guy went after the good guys, because it fit with the story and it wasn't used because that's what the writer always does.

I've started my second non-fiction book of this year (of this month, actually). I somehow missed that Bill Bryson wrote a follow up to Notes from a Small Island, The Road to Little Dribbling. It would be nice to finish it, plus another book by the end of the month; than I would have managed to read 30 books, an average of 10 a month, this year.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:10 PM   #25612
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Still reading Stiff, and enjoying it.
Well, I've hit a dead spot, if you'll pardon the pun. But kind of forcing myself through it, hoping to get to something more interesting. Skimming over stuff I really just don't care about. It's come down from a 4 to a 3 at this point, but we'll see.

Quote:
Now starting Blood Lure, the 9th Anna Pigeon book by Nevada Barr. This one is set in Glacier Park and features grizzly bears.
What a winner! This completely disrupted my sleep cycle. A solid 5 stars, one of the best of the Anna Pigeon series, and really has me psyched for the next one.

Quote:
Meanwhile, on the audio book side, next up is The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny. #5 in the Chief Inspector Gamache series of Three Pines mysteries.
A struggle, primarily because it's a library MP3, not an Audible book, so it's just harder to keep track of where I am and the overall behaviour of the book. And this book is complicated. I think if I go on, I'll bite the bullet and read them in Audible format, even though it will cost me a full credit. (The WhisperSync prices are not especially enticing, even on these earlier ones in the series.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote