Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #391
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Oh, splendid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
...See the second comment from voltagex...
Sweet. Works great.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #392
spydurpoet
spydurpoet began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo
What am I doing wrong?!

[snip of unnecessary quote]

I uninstalled the current version of Kindle for PC, downloaded the recommended one, and still when I "Add Books" to Calibre, it comes across as AZW. What am I doing wrong?

I also changed renderer-test to .xxx. It still comes across as AZW.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-03-2018 at 03:13 PM.
spydurpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #393
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydurpoet View Post

I uninstalled the current version of Kindle for PC, downloaded the recommended one, and still when I "Add Books" to Calibre, it comes across as AZW. What am I doing wrong?

It's supposed to be AZW. Methods 1-3 prevent downloading KFX since until very recently, it wasn't supported by the *ahem* tools.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #394
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
[snip of unnecessary quote]

You need to re-download the books after getting the pre-KFX version of Kindle for PC installed.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #395
spydurpoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It's supposed to be AZW. Methods 1-3 prevent downloading KFX since until very recently, it wasn't supported by the *ahem* tools.
Oh...lol. Silly me. Sorry. New to this. As in: I just got Calibre yesterday. So then why won't it let me convert the AZW to EPUB and transfer to my tablet?
Advert
Old 04-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #396
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Oh...lol. Silly me. Sorry. New to this. As in: I just got Calibre yesterday. So then why won't it let me convert the AZW to EPUB and transfer to my tablet?
Could be all sorts of reasons. But detailed help on using DRM removal tools (as opposed to detailed help on how to download certain ebook formats from Amazon) are not allowed on MobileRead. Ask at Apprentice Alf's blog or Apprentice Harper's github repository.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #397
spydurpoet

♥ Thank you!
Old 04-03-2018, 09:50 PM   #398
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Welcome to Mobileread.

FYI at the top of each calibre forum are sticky posts with answers to frequent questions or guidelines for the forum. At the top of the calibre Conversion forum is this sticky post.

How to ask a question about conversion problems

This post should help you formulate your question about conversions. Once you have the needed info feel free to post your question in the Conversion forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:17 AM   #399
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xgody tablet, LG G3 (Android), moon+reader
Just a warning to the unwary (that was me then!!) There is a new update out for 'Kindle for PC'. If you install the update without thinking (that'll be me . . . !!) you get all the problems mentioned above.

I think the latest version is 1.23. Fortunately I was able to use a restore function to get back to where I needed to be (v1.17).
rbruce1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #400
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I tested method 2 on Kindle for PC 1.23.1 and it still works. Perhaps someone with a Mac could report on whether method 2 still works with the latest version on that platform.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #401
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xgody tablet, LG G3 (Android), moon+reader
Quote:
I tested method 2 on Kindle for PC 1.23.1 and it still works. Perhaps someone with a Mac could report on whether method 2 still works with the latest version on that platform.
Maybe, but method 2 involves fiddling about inserting code - after 3 decades using (rather than programming - I did lots of that 4 decades ago!!!!!!) programs as downloaded I've (up to now) avoided getting myself into that situation.

Not arguing with you at all, but for those like me who just don't want to bother (risk?!?!?!) those insertions I thought I'd let the more untutored folks know that they could have a new problem if not careful!!
rbruce1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #402
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruce1314 View Post
Maybe, but method 2 involves fiddling about inserting code - after 3 decades using (rather than programming - I did lots of that 4 decades ago!!!!!!) programs as downloaded I've (up to now) avoided getting myself into that situation.

Not arguing with you at all, but for those like me who just don't want to bother (risk?!?!?!) those insertions I thought I'd let the more untutored folks know that they could have a new problem if not careful!!
Technically, you don't insert code.

On Windows, all it does is rename renderer-test.exe to renderer-test.xxx, something you can do in Windows Explorer.

On Mac, as mentioned in the OP, it just disables renderer-test from executing.

There's really no risk. Worst case, program fails to open and you can just rename renderer-test.xxx back to renderer-test.exe on Windows or add execution ability on Mac.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #403
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Works on a VM running OS X 10.13.4.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #404
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Works on a VM running OS X 10.13.4.
Thanks.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #405
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
For some reason, Kindle for PC 1.21 installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon, while the 1.23 update installed in C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Amazon instead *while keeping the original C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon folder and files*, and brought renderer-test.exe back with a vengeance.

Unbeknownst to me because I went to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon directory and saw that renderer-test.exe was still renamed to renderer-test.xxx, the latest eBook I purchased and downloaded was downloaded as a KFX eBook. Upon discovering this, I went searching and that's when I discovered that the 1.23 update was installed in my user directory. Weird.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc