Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Bookdesigner won't start on vista???

I installed bookdesigner fine. Copied the update to the program files folder. But I keep getting error message, every time I try to open the program: "component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file mising or invalid"

I checked my windows/system32 folder and there is a comdlg32.ocx file. I reregistered it with "regsvr32 \windows\system32\COMDLG32.OCX". But I still get this error.

Any ideas?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
AndyQ
Enthusiast
AndyQ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Did you ever fix this - I've just installed Book Designer on Vista and I'm getting the same error.
AndyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Stupid Vista.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
Fixed -- some

I uninstalled Bookdesigner and then the Intuit TurboTax Deduction Finder (based on a note about another program being broken by Deduction Finder)and then reinstalled Bookdesigner. It now works for every conversion EXCEPT the Sony Reader. When I select Sony Reader after loading the book, nothing happens now. No error, no new window, nothing. The Libre and other conversions work normally.

I have uninstalled BD and installed it in multiple places -- no change. I suspect that one of the asummed libraries or other system files has either been clobbered, replaced by an older version, or there is an incompatibility with the new version. I am not anywhere near expert enough to define properly my suspicions, much less solve the problem.

I have to dual boot to XP to use BookDesigner for the Sony reader. Groan.

UPDATE: This is now old news. It works fine with Vista 32 assuming you follow the later posts.

Last edited by jwhayn; 01-16-2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Status update
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Vista is not ready for prime time. Backwards compatibility is not good enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hmm, reminds me of something ... oh yeah, Win 95 ... and Win 98. Oh yes and Win Me ... and ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Before you pile on ...

So far Vista has been stable and is compatible with all my other software (using the latest updates of course) and all my hardware. Typically, I expect problems with new software such as Bookdesigner; I understand the difficulties faced by the developers; and I am very grateful for their unpaid efforts. I really like BookDesigner. Thanks guys!

That being said, does anyone have a fix for Vista? Does BD use VB6, Python, or other similar applications or libraries? I suspect that a key component is either missing in the Vista install for the Sony Reader or is not updated to the latest version. Since all the other conversions work, there must a problem in the file/dll calling sequence (please translate from hand waving to accurate tech speak). Are there any logging capabilities in BD?

Also, look at this URL:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx. That could be why itis not working.

Last edited by jwhayn; 04-10-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Hello, first post i hope it helps. I had the same issue and tryed al kind of things suggested in these forums but finaly just tried something myself and it worked like a charm. What i did was;

0: Installed the Microsoft DHTML Editing Control first

1: Install Book Designer (BD) and update directly to the C:\ as suggested in one og the help threads (C:\Book Designer 4.0)

2: When trying to run BD i got the "component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one..." message i said ok and the program closed, i then found the file in C:\Windows\System32 and right clicked on COMDLG32.OCX and selected "UnRegister" then ok on the pop up that apperes. Then i rightclicked the same file again and selected "Register" and ok angain on the pop up.

3: After COMDLG32.OCX when trying to run BD i got an the same error message but with COMCTL32.OCX and just repeted the same steps as above.

After that it worked, and all was well in the world

Last edited by electristan; 01-17-2008 at 04:45 AM.
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
jwhayn
Enthusiast

See http://www.mobileread.org/forums/sho...t=13099&page=3 and load the libraryfiles to pick up the missing software.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Electristan, did you download the Microsoft DHTML Editing Control first?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:45 AM   #11
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Electristan, did you download the Microsoft DHTML Editing Control first?

Jim
so sorry, Yes i did and installed it at the very start. so much for my thorough guide ill add it.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Thanks. I've got a new computer with Vista on order and am trying to gird my loins to get ready to install BD when it comes. I'll try to be optimistic about it installing without a glitch, but I may have more questions when it comes down to it, if you don't mind.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #13
electristan
newbie reader

Sure, no problem i'll be around

Tags
bookdesigner