Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-20-2018, 01:34 AM   #1
leito360
leito360 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Any OS that lets you export highlights? More info inside

Hi!
I use my kindle for reading papers and documents for college, so i do a lot of highlighting, recently i discovered Kindle lets you export highlighted text in PDF format and send it to your email address. But this only works for books bought from the kindle store. I also know that highlights can be stored on "myclippings" but there's a lot of unnecesary info (like location, book, author), and other issues that makes the reading difficult.

Is there an OS for kindle that lets you export highlighted text in PDF/TXT/CSV/any other format for every type of book or document?
leito360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:28 AM   #2
kaneorotar
Enthusiast
kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.kaneorotar for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: K3, KW3, PW4
I don't think such OS exists. It could be the functionality of an application or software at best. That said, I am not aware of any software/application that meets your specific requirement.

My suggestion would be to learn a programming language (e.g. Perl, Python, Ruby. etc.) and then write a script to strip those 'unnecessary info' from your 'myclippings' file. You could even generate pdf files with the help of certain modules/libraries.

Edit:
Good to know such applications exist. Glad you have your problem solved and thanks for sharing the solution.

Last edited by kaneorotar; 10-22-2018 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Update
kaneorotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
leito360
leito360 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Solved. Solution provided in reddit (Also, there is software like KMate and Kintrospect that do this. An alternative es Annotations plugin for calibre, but not quite good as the mentioned above):

Send the documents to your cloud.

Read, highlight, make notes on your Kindle. Open the same doc on a phone app, iOS or Android, both work. Send to email from there.

This is how I do it. Works well
leito360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:40 AM   #4
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
reddit?

Could you post the reddit link you mentioned, pls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leito360 View Post
Solved. Solution provided in reddit (Also, there is software like KMate and Kintrospect that do this. An alternative es Annotations plugin for calibre, but not quite good as the mentioned above):

Read, highlight, make notes on your Kindle. Open the same doc on a phone app, iOS or Android, both work. Send to email from there.

pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I use Kindle Mate. You can connect your Kindle and it will find MyClippings.txt, or you can import it manually. Then you can select authors/titles and choose any formatting you would like to see, for exporting these highlights separately.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #6
burn
burn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by leito360 View Post

Just made a highlight in a cloud doc in a Kindle PW3. Sync'd the Kindle.

Opened an iPad Kindle app, sync'd the app, re-downloaded the doc, no highlight.

Also, on a reader and while in that doc, when I use "Go to" -> "Highlights", there's no send to e-mail/share button.
burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #7
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
koreader lets me export directly to evernote. it's one of my favorite features.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote