Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
Chaihana Joe
Chaihana Joe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, Kobo Glo, Apple devices, Android devices, PC
Skeleton CSS

One would think that, somewhere out there, somebody would have posted an elegant barebones ePub CSS file for novice book designers to base their work on. Try as I might, though, I haven't been able to find one.

Can anyone point me to such a thing? I'm looking for a minimal approach - maybe a hundred lines of code, max. I don't care if not every eventuality is catered for, in fact I'd see working under the constraints of something so simple to be a good discipline.

I would be looking for something that worked pretty much universally across platforms.

TIA
Chaihana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaihana Joe View Post
I would be looking for something that worked pretty much universally across platforms.
And therein lies the problem. If such a unicorn existed, you'd have no difficulty finding it. Because everyone would be using it. But it doesn't exist. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. Concessions must be made, and platform-specific exemptions and special cases must be accounted for (ever-changing exemptions and special cases, no less). The book content itself often dictates wide variances as well.

Every ebook designer seems to eventually come up with something that works reasonably well for most of their own needs, but as a result, the same css doesn't often lend itself well to anyone else's personal ebook coding/naming practices.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Well you might look in our wiki along with 19,000 other people. CSS template. There are several articles such as CSS and it point to others.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
or google "github epub template"?
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
Chaihana Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well you might look in our wiki along with 19,000 other people. CSS template. There are several articles such as CSS and it point to others.

Dale
Very useful, thank you. I haven't been seeing wiki.mobileread. pages coming up in my Google searches.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Also check out:
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Every ebook designer seems to eventually come up with something that works reasonably well for most of their own needs, but as a result, the same css doesn't often lend itself well to anyone else's personal ebook coding/naming practices.
Or you end with the stylesheets used by some publishing houses with so many special case entries that the file becomes unreadable and difficult to maintain.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:16 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Also check out:
Quote:
One would think that, somewhere out there, somebody would have posted an elegant barebones ePub CSS file for novice book designers to base their work on. Try as I might, though, I haven't been able to find one.
There's a CSS sheet in every single published ePUB, right? Why not start there? Or, as others have pointed out, the Wiki here. OR, one of the thousands of ePUBs published here. That's how pretty much everyone here, and everyone in the business, learned.

Quote:
Can anyone point me to such a thing? I'm looking for a minimal approach - maybe a hundred lines of code, max. I don't care if not every eventuality is catered for, in fact I'd see working under the constraints of something so simple to be a good discipline.
Well, unless you're talking about the world's simplest ePUB, it's going to be more than 100lines of code. You might also look for a Wayback Machine copy of the CSS Zen Garden, which had LOTS of CSS for a variety of ePUBs, and the developers of that cheerfully made it available for public consumption. You could also spend a few bucks and buy Liz Castro's "ePUB: Straight to the Point," which, while a teeny bit dated now, has all the essentials for learning the fundies of ePUB-building.

Quote:
As DiapDealer explained, that's a Grail Quest--and really, it's more than that, you're Quixotically tilting at windmills. No such thing exists, because the retailers and device-makers and those who just HADDA make a new ePUB reader all created different readers, that respond differently to CSS. Apple's pretty big on ignoring the standards, and some of the nine bajillion software readers out there either completely ignore the CSS, or allow the end user to override it. Welcome to the joys of eBookmaking!

Unasked-for-comment: if you plan to use your ePUB for Kindle-building, don't use the Blitz CSS. You need a lot more experience under your belt to understand what's happening with all the inheritance functionality in that, and a lot of it will not work for MOBI and it certainly won't for KF7.

Paul (BBeBooks) does a very nice job, and his is likely the closest to what you'll want. I've worked with him and respect his work.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #9
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
EPUB is not a semantic format, so it is unlikely it could be created. For example, it doesn't even require you to make a book of paragraphs: DIVs can be used instead just fine. The format doesn't allow for book-specific metadata, footnotes, chapter headers (!!), proper illustrations, etc.
If there were a sematic XML-based format, we would have dozens of such templates/themes, like some proprietary book readers have.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #10
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You are welcome to use or adapt mine:

https://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com/2013...yle-sheet.html
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #11
Chaihana Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
You are welcome to use or adapt mine:

https://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com/2013...yle-sheet.html
Exactly what I was after. Thank you, NJ.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:17 PM   #12
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaihana Joe View Post
Exactly what I was after. Thank you, NJ.
I'm glad it was useful. Note that my top-level heading is H2. It works just fine in Sigil, but you can of course call it H1 if you want.

The history of course is that I once had an H1 heading that I used for the book title, H2 for the sub-title, etc. But then I was informed that this was Bad Code, so I substituted paragraph styles for that purpose, p class="large", p class="medium", and so on.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I'm glad it was useful. Note that my top-level heading is H2. It works just fine in Sigil, but you can of course call it H1 if you want.

The history of course is that I once had an H1 heading that I used for the book title, H2 for the sub-title, etc. But then I was informed that this was Bad Code, so I substituted paragraph styles for that purpose, p class="large", p class="medium", and so on.
God...I remember that discussion. LOL. You're forgetting how you used it. You weren't using it semantically; you were using it to make the text larger and bold. If memory serves, right?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #14
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You weren't using it semantically; you were using it to make the text larger and bold. If memory serves, right?
Right.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
I'm certainly guilty of using headers for choosing font sizes for subtitles, etc. I'm curious to see a discussion about this. At the possible risk of dragging up unpleasant memories, do you have pointer to said discussion? I had a quick look and couldn't find it.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote