Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #16
oppure
oppure began at the beginning.

Device: onyx M92
Quote:
When moving to a new page on the M92, black text is shown for a fraction of a second before being covered by the yellow 'background'
Not in my case, missing text is never displayed not even for a fraction of second.

Here are some clues that may be usefull for troubleshooting:
- I never get totally blank pages the header at least is displayed on all pages
- The part of the page not displayed is always lower than the part of page displayed (i.e. lower half of the page not displayed)
- The footer is never displayed
so it looks like something having some sort of up to down relation, like from a certain point down nothing more is displayed.
The most strange I've seen is a page where only half table is displayed end from there down everything is not displayed (rest of table and following text paragraphs)
oppure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Exporting the file from Xournal does not solve this issue (firmware 20120309).
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #18
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulixes View Post
Call me stupid, but I have no idea how to load a PDF into ScanTailor. Just installed it and it will only accept JPGs, it seems .... Can you explain?
ScanTailor doesn't handle PDFs directly. It is a program to postprocess scanned pages. You should disassemble the pdf into images first, then convert them into jpeg/png/tiff and only then add them to ScanTailor. Under linux:

pdfimages filename.pdf f
mogrify -format png *.pbm

And the files are ready for use in ScanTailor. Then you assemble the output files of ScanTailor with another program - e.g. gscan2pdf or djvusolo. I would prefer to process the files from archive.org in this way, even if they were ready out of the box for Onyx M92. The procedure allows you to trim unnecessary white margins, center text and straighten up tilted pages. The new file is usually more neat and reader-friendly than the original.

You can, of course, skip all these steps and download djvu files directly from archive.org, if you don't mind the formatting. To download don't click on "DjVu" in the "View the book" box on the left. Instead click on "All Files: HTTP". This will open a page with a list of file formats. Then right-click on the djvu file and select "Save as".

Last edited by slex; 04-18-2012 at 07:35 AM.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #19
Ulixes
Ulixes began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by slex View Post
ScanTailor doesn't handle PDFs directly. It is a program to postprocess scanned pages. You should disassemble the pdf into images first, then convert them into jpeg/png/tiff and only then add them to ScanTailor. Under linux:

pdfimages filename.pdf f

And the files are ready for use in ScanTailor. Then you assemble the output files of ScanTailor with another program - e.g. gscan2pdf or djvusolo. I would prefer to process the files from archive.org in this way, even if they were ready out of the box for Onyx M92. The procedure allows you to trim unnecessary white margins, center text and straighten up tilted pages. The new file is usually more neat and reader-friendly than the original.

You can, of course, skip all these steps and download djvu files directly from archive.org, if you don't mind the formatting. To download don't click on "DjVu" in the "View the book" box on the left. Instead click on "All Files: HTTP". This will open a page with a list of file formats. Then right-click on the djvu file and select "Save as".

Slex, with your final suggestion you have made my day. This worked and I am absolutely delighted. I can now read materials from the Internet Archive on my M92. I'll raise a glass on you tonight. Many thanks.
Ulixes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Slex, with your final suggestion you have made my day. This worked and I am absolutely delighted. I can now read materials from the Internet Archive on my M92. I'll raise a glass on you tonight. Many thanks.
Great. Would you add an item to the M92 tweaks wiki? It might come in handy for other users

Cheers.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
Ulixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
Great. Would you add an item to the M92 tweaks wiki? It might come in handy for other users

Cheers.
I'd be happy to help, but have no idea how to work with Wikis or where to do it.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #22
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
I'd be happy to help, but have no idea how to work with Wikis or where to do it.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M92
-> follow Tweaks link
-> click on edit
-> edit (pretty easy... even if you don't use the script environment for editing, you'll quickly see how to add another item - no fear )
-> save (if you don't have an account, it'll ask you a simple question - supposedly to stop bots from editing )

Just write a short bullet point item and link relevant news posts or software .
Don't be shy to ask for help

Cheers.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #23
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by slex View Post

pdfimages filename.pdf f

So this takes how many hours of processing before you can do what you bought the reader for: reading.
And why does a tablet have no problems given you have the appropriate apps installed?
You are telling me I have to use four different programs and spent several hours before I can actually read "problematic" PDFs ...
So this seems to be for people with a lot of patience and a complete disregard of time.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #24
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
So this takes how many hours of processing before you can do what you bought the reader for: reading.
And why does a tablet have no problems given you have the appropriate apps installed?
You are telling me I have to use four different programs and spent several hours before I can actually read "problematic" PDFs ...
So this seems to be for people with a lot of patience and a complete disregard of time.
ScanTailor postprocessing (usually takes about 30 minutes on modern computers depending on the size of the book, the resolution of the images and the processing power) improves the formatting of scanned books and they look better regardless of the device. It also happens to make the book readable on Onyx M92.

If you don't care about the formatting and still want to read it on your M92, just download the djvu file from archive.org. You can read it out of the box without additional tampering.

I am not telling you that you have to do anything. I am sharing my experience, in case that someone finds it helpful.

Last edited by slex; 04-18-2012 at 11:43 AM.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
In general it'd be possible to build libpoppler for M92, I think. This would provide developers with the libraries that evince and okular use to show pdfs. Maybe the onyx devs can use this to create a Qt app for their M92 to replace the faulty adobe sdk...

But let me guess: they won't
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
Ulixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M92
-> follow Tweaks link
-> click on edit
-> edit (pretty easy... even if you don't use the script environment for editing, you'll quickly see how to add another item - no fear )
-> save (if you don't have an account, it'll ask you a simple question - supposedly to stop bots from editing )

Just write a short bullet point item and link relevant news posts or software .
Don't be shy to ask for help

Cheers.
Ok, have done. Anyone is free to edit it. Cheers.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #27
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppure View Post
I don't know if this can help, but opening the document that is not properly displayed on the M92 with adobe reader 9 on a pc, selecting the layer navigation panel the panel is blank. So no layers on the document? So problem not related with layers?
We can optimize pdf's from archive.org in Adobe Acrobat e.g. in Acrobat 9 pro, under Document (Menu bar) there is "Optimize Scanned Pdf" command.

I usually slide slider completely to the left for smallest size (quality) and turn off all other options like deskew, background removal, despeckle etc.

It takes about 15-20 minutes on average new laptop.
Optimized pdf is usually doubled in size but can easily be read, highlighted, scrolled, searched etc. on e-readers and tablets like iPad 1.

I use b/w pdf from archive.org because those in color take little more time to get optimized.

We can also downsample pdf in Acrobat (Menu bar--Advanced-Print Production-Pdf Optimizer) or export Pdf as images (Menu bar--File-Export-Image) and than combine them again in pdf but it takes a little longer, about 30 min for average book.

Last edited by markom; 09-15-2012 at 11:41 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #28
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
I noticed the same thing. I'm not satisfied with my solution, but I have made these files visible by reducing the zoom factor. On most of the Archive.org PDFs, you can view them at 150% okay, but 100% seems to be always safe for me. When you zoom in too much, it becomes an essentially blank page.
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #29
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
I noticed the same thing. I'm not satisfied with my solution, but I have made these files visible by reducing the zoom factor. On most of the Archive.org PDFs, you can view them at 150% okay, but 100% seems to be always safe for me. When you zoom in too much, it becomes an essentially blank page.
There is also a lot quicker way to convert djvu's to pdf using free djview viewer, but ocr layer will be lost.

http://djvulibre-djview.software.informer.com/

It took me about 5 minutes on my slow laptop to convert(export) above mentioned (hiddenchurchofho00waituoft 746 pages 22 MB) djvu to pdf at 150 ppi and 75% jpeg.

created pdf is 5x bigger, 110 MB, but easily readable on e-readers and tablets.

Last edited by markom; 09-16-2012 at 07:28 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #30
paco_lch
paco_lch began at the beginning.

Bullzip PDF printer works well for me.
Simply open your pdf on a PC and make another pdf file with Bullzip. The new file will be readable on boox. And it takes minutes.
paco_lch is offline   Reply With Quote