Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
shootist
Zealot
shootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: nook, prs-650, prs-350, galaxy tab 2
libraries for non residents?

My local library doesn't have ebooks. They said its due to "budget constraints." I know several libraries give non-resident cards for a fee. What are some of the better ones? Wanting to check out some books on my new nook.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
jdarnold
jdarnold began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Not sure where you live, but it seems like most big city libraries offer free "eCards" to state residents. For instance, I got an eCard at the Boston Public Library, which is free to MA residents and gives me access to all the electronic resources of the BPL, including borrowing eBooks. I've heard that Houston & New York city public libraries do the same for their state's residents.
jdarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
The Free Library of Philadelphia is not completely free to non-residents, but it's only 12.00 a year for membership. http://www.freelibrary.org/
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
shootist
Zealot
shootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

I'm in Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It won't matter that you're in TN for the FLOP. I'm in Michigan. It's 12.00 a year for non-residents, even residents of other states.

(Don't know though about other countries.)
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
It won't matter that you're in TN for the FLOP. I'm in Michigan. It's 12.00 a year for non-residents, even residents of other states.

(Don't know though about other countries.)
Yep, even other countries. BTW the fee is $15, not $12.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Didn't NYPL stop their $100/year out of state member program?
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryTB View Post
Didn't NYPL stop their $100/year out of state member program?
Yes, a long time ago now.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yep, even other countries. BTW the fee is $15, not $12.
Are you sure about "even other countries" I would certainly be very interested I'm in Europe
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Are you sure about "even other countries" I would certainly be very interested I'm in Europe
I know we have members from Canada that have cards. Also Marcy contacted them and was told yes to out of country cards (funds need to be sent in US dollars)...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=18
Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #11
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I know we have members from Canada that have cards. Also Marcy contacted them and was told yes to out of country cards (funds need to be sent in US dollars)...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=18
Thanks I'll give it a try
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
Shootist, hi. I'm in Big Stone Gap, VA and the libraries in my area don't have an ebook program of any kind. When I got my Sony Reader I started checking in TN & KY. I found that TN has a program call READS.

http://reads.lib.overdrive.com Click on "sing in" upper right to see a map of participating libraries.

I called the Kingsport library and found out they would issue a non resident card to people within 50 miles of the library. I'm in!!! There are libraries that participate all around you. The collection seems to be growing and I've found plenty to read. I also got the Philadelphia card so I have options.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Debi

Last edited by Debi; 07-23-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
pendragginp
Guru

Quote:
BTW the fee is $15, not $12.
Ah, okay. I thought I paid $12, but mayhap I misremember.

Anyway, shootist, good options. =)
Old 07-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
The Fairfax County Public Library (Virginia, USA) also lets you get a library card if you're not a state resident. It's $27/year and you send them a check. Here's the link that tells you this: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/cardelgb.htm

I don't know if they'd let non-US residents apply - but I can't think of why they wouldn't. Wouldn't hurt to try/ask if you're not a US resident.

Anyway. Give them a try. As of this post, they've got 824 ePubs, 1892 PDFs and 269 mobi e-books.

Happy reading.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
shootist
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi View Post
Shootist, hi. I'm in Big Stone Gap, VA and the libraries in my area don't have an ebook program of any kind. When I got my Sony Reader I started checking in TN & KY. I found that TN has a program call READS.

http://reads.lib.overdrive.com Click on "sing in" upper right to see a map of participating libraries.

I called the Kingsport library and found out they would issue a non resident card to people within 50 miles of the library. I'm in!!! There are libraries that participate all around you. The collection seems to be growing and I've found plenty to read. I also got the Philadelphia card so I have options.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Debi
Cool! My mom lives near one of those subscriber libraries. I'll get signed up next time I visit her.