Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
aleks
Connoisseur
aleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook & Sony Reader
Pictures in Connect Books

Hello all! I have only downloaded two books so far form Connect and a thougth occured to me. The books that we purchase, do they contain the same photos as the hardcopies or is it strictly text? Has anyone downloaded a book with photos in it?

Aleks
aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
One of the sample excerpt texts that came pre-loaded on the Reader contains pictures -- the Audobon text, I think. And the ones I have downloaded from Connect so far at least have cover art.

If you're trying to figure out whether BBeB format supports in-line pix, it does.

That's one of the reasons that we'd like Sony to release the full specs for the format, so that we can really make fully functional LRF's of our own, as it does seem to be a fairly versatile format, for all its proprietariness.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Well, some of the diagram images in Getting Things Done have such lousy compression that they're virtually unreadable, so caveat emptor. See Freakonomics excerpt for another example.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
1. LRF format is more or less figured out, so it's just a matter of writing code. See lrf2lrs.py and Xylog BBeB spec.
2. LRF supports embedded jpg, gif and png. The last two offer lossless compression, so it's just a matter of choosing a proper picture format.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
big_stan
big_stan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm reading 1491 right now, and it contains plenty of pictures (and maps).

Unfortunately the maps are essentially impossible to read, even when displayed in the large format and displayed horizontally. I think they are probably straight copies out of the book, so they use lots of grays (so they are very light), with lots of small text (which again, is very light).

Otherwise I'm very happy with the book (and all of the other's I've downloaded from Sony's Service), the normal pictures (non maps) look great.
big_stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2006, 11:16 PM   #6
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
"A gift of dragons" by mccafferey has pictures in them, which I think look reasonable; as good as they would be in the paper version.
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I bought "Eldest", and the maps in the front aren't that readable on the Reader - in the Connect software I can make everything out. I wish the software had a "print" button so I could print it out for reference while reading, assuming print resolution would be better than what I can see on the screen.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #8
MelancholyTea
MelancholyTea began at the beginning.

I think that the publishers need to get the electronic rights to the artwork in the print book, so it's not always a guarantee that the images in the print book will be in the eBook. They generally are though.
MelancholyTea is offline   Reply With Quote