Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
2010 Nebula Award Winners!

The Nebula Awards are given each year by the Science Fiction Writers of America for outstanding works of science fiction, fantasy, or related fiction genre.

GRAND MASTER
Joe Haldeman

SHORT STORY
Winner: Spar” by Kij Johnson
Also nominated:
“Hooves and the Hovel of Abdel Jameela” by Saladin Ahmed
“I Remember the Future” by Michael A. Burstein
“Non-Zero Probabilities” by N. K. Jemisin
“Going Deep” by James Patrick Kelly
“Bridesicle” by Will McIntosh

NOVELETTE
Winner:
Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, Priest; Red Mask, Black Mask, Gentleman, Beast by Eugie Foster
Also nominated:
The Gambler by Paolo Bacigalupi
Vinegar Peace, or the Wrong-Way Used-Adult Orphanage by Michael Bishop
I Needs Must Part, The Policeman Said by Richard Bowes
Divining Light by Ted Kosmatka
A Memory of Wind by Rachel Swirsky

NOVELLA
Winner:
The Women of Nell Gwynne’s by Kage Baker
Also nominated:
Arkfall by Carolyn Ives Gilman
Act One by Nancy Kress
Shambling Towards Hiroshima by James Morrow
Sublimation Angels by Jason Sanford
The God Engines by John Scalzi

NOVEL
Winner:
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
Also nominated:
The Love We Share Without Knowing by Christopher Barzak
Flesh and Fire by Laura Anne Gilman
The City & The City by China Miéville
Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
Finch by Jeff VanderMeer

BRADBURY AWARD BEST DRAMATIC PRODUCTION
Winner:
District 9 by Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell
Also nominated:
Star Trek by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman
Moon by Duncan Jones and Nathan Parker
Up by Bob Peterson and Pete Docter
Coraline by Henry Selick

ANDRE NORTON AWARD
Winner:
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
Also nominated:
Hotel Under the Sand by Kage Baker
Ice by Sarah Beth Durst
Ash by Malinda Lo
Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
Zoe’s Tale by John Scalzi
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

THE SOLSTICE AWARD
(for impact on the field)
Tom Doherty, Terri Windling, and Donald Wolheim.

SERVICE TO SFWA
Keith Stokes

AUTHOR EMERITUS
Neil Barret Jr

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-18-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Entire post was copyrighted - material edited out
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by luag View Post
NOVEL
Winner:
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
Congrats to all the winners!!

I actually read "The Windup Girl" and was pretty impressed, it was free a while ago, not sure if it still is. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=windup+girl
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Congrats to all the winners!!

I actually read "The Windup Girl" and was pretty impressed, it was free a while ago, not sure if it still is. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=windup+girl
I *tried* reading TWG. Really!

I made the attempts over a five month period - five of them. I could not get past the whole post-green-apocalypse concept. I personally give it a 0-out-of-10 stars. If any reasonable rating system would allow me to go negative, I'd give it a -10 stars. I could not honestly recommend TWG to any of my friends. In fact, if a friend recommended it to me, I'd break off our friendship.

Sigh. The trash that manages to win always amazes me.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
was not a fan of District 9
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
mcgriff
mcgriff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Deux
Thumbs down

Weak list IMO! I did enjoy Leviathan, but I disliked The Windup Girl to the extreme. I sometimes think these awards are given to authors that somehow give the awarding body some sort of image boost. Picking TWG makes them "edgy" I guess.
mcgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgriff View Post
Weak list IMO! I did enjoy Leviathan, but I disliked The Windup Girl to the extreme. I sometimes think these awards are given to authors that somehow give the awarding body some sort of image boost. Picking TWG makes them "edgy" I guess.
Flinging poo at readers could be called 'edgy' as well. In fact, I think that would rank as a *more* pleasurable experience to endure than reading TWG IMHO.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by luag View Post

SERVICE TO SFWA
Keith Stokes
Vonda N. McIntyre also received the Service to SFWA award, for her tireless work helping with the SFWA website, among other things.

Vonda, you might be aware, is a founding member of Book View Cafe, and a member of MR.

The awards are voted on by the active membership of SFWA, and given the difficulty of herding cats, I don't think you can ascribe any group motive for the selections other than that they're works that people liked and admired. My own first choices did not win in all categories, but that doesn't lessen my congratulations to the winning authors. And most especially to the grandmaster, Joe Haldeman.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
mdennis
mdennis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdennis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdennis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
I was a big fan of boneshaker, and I do not usually like steampunk
mdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I actually read "The Windup Girl" and was pretty impressed,...
I have a blowup girl and am very impressed.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
For anyone following this topic: Nominations for the 2011 Nebula Awards (to recognize works first published in 2010) closed this past Tuesday night, and the new nominees will be announced no later than Sunday evening, 20 February 2011.

— M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I am very interested! Do you have any predictions?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I am very interested! Do you have any predictions?
NEXT year I should be able to nominate; THIS year, I can't even see what's already listed in the SFWA forums, because I won't have my membership for several more months! So... fingers crossed that Joe Haldeman, Mary Robinette Kowal, Saladin Ahmed, Geoffrey A. Landis, Kij Johnson and Robert J. Sawyer all make it onto the ballot, because I've recently enjoyed new works from each of them.

— M.

Last edited by Vintage Season; 02-19-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Haldeman again? I guess so, but I didn't read any of his stuff this year. As a matter of fact, I doubt that I read anything last year that will be nominated. I need to re-subscribe to Asimov's. But I always make sure to grab copies of every nominated work, except for the comics and stuff, if possible.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #14
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...

This morning, SFWA announced the 2010 Nebula Award nominees. Three of the six names I expected to see are on the final ballot: "Ponies" by Kij Johnson (short story), "The Sultan of the Clouds" by Geoffrey A. Landis (novella), and Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal (novel)... plus a lot of other good stuff! Voting begins March 1, and votes will be tallied April 1. Congratulations!

Go here to view the complete list of nominees.

— M.