Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
It's about time we got "REAL" 80s comedy films again!!

Do you remember the wonderful comedies of the 80s?
Remember Used Cars, with Kurt Russell? Very Funny.
Remember the original Smokey & the Bandit with Burt Reynolds?
What about Nat'l Lampoon's European Vacation with Chevy Chase?
And the classic It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World!

A lot of the newer comedy films (American comedy), including American sitcoms have lost a real sense of humor. Frankly, I find British humor to way more my style. But there are some American classics that are truly funny.

A new film, The Goods, starring Jeremy Piven, harkens back to that age of comedy. I think it's about time.

Check it out Here, at the Apple Trailers.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
A lot of the newer comedy films (American comedy), including American sitcoms have lost a real sense of humor. Frankly, I find British humor to way more my style. But there are some American classics that are truly funny.
I like US sitcoms .

But we probably see the best of yours, and you see the best of ours.

There are a lot of dud BritComs arounds which you will probably be spared.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'd add Planes, Trains and Automobiles to that list
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I like US sitcoms .
I can't stand them - mind you, I can't stand British sitcoms either . But, on the other hand, we get a lot of absolutely superb US drama TV shows. Eg, the BBC are currently showing all 5 series of "The Wire", which I'm finding "unmissable".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... we get a lot of absolutely superb US drama TV shows. Eg, the BBC are currently showing all 5 series of "The Wire", which I'm finding "unmissable".

I agree the US dramas we see blow our home-grown ones out of the water.

Unless you like 'twee'; we are quite good at 'twee'.
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I agree the US dramas we see blow our home-grown ones out of the water.

Unless you like 'twee'; we are quite good at 'twee'.
Wow. I love your dramas like "Wire in the Blood" (almost anything with Robson Green), and quite a lot of shows that end up on our PBS Masterpiece Theatre like "Prime Suspect", the "Inspector Lynley" series," Inspector Morse", etc.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question for you Brits. What do you think of House? Is it different seeing..er.. hearing your Hugh Laurie talk with an American accent? I know he's done so before on A Bit of Fry & Laurie, but I spose this is a bit diff.

As for me, I'm definitely waiting for Season 6 this fall.

The only dramas that I watch are House, and I watched Criminal Minds, with Mandy Patinkin. I'd like to start watching Numb3rs, but that'll have to wait.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Question for you Brits. What do you think of House? Is it different seeing..er.. hearing your Hugh Laurie talk with an American accent? I know he's done so before on A Bit of Fry & Laurie, but I spose this is a bit diff.

The only dramas that I watch are House, and I watched Criminal Minds, with Mandy Patinkin. I'd like to start watching Numb3rs, but that'll have to wait.
I love House - it's on here in about an hour and a half so I'll be watching it then. No problems for me with Hugh Laurie pretending to be an American - if you haven't got a good enough actor, then we're only too happy to help

Not sure Criminal Minds made it over here (I haven't heard of it anyway). I wouldn't bother with Numb3rs if I were you!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I love House
Me too - but I think they lost their way a bit with the 'reality show' thread - jettisoning job candidates week by week.

I do regret missing the epsiode at the end of season 1 or the start of season 2, when he apparently discovered a cure for male pattern baldness - keeping my eye out for a repeat.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Me too - but I think they lost their way a bit with the 'reality show' thread - jettisoning job candidates week by week.

I do regret missing the epsiode at the end of season 1 or the start of season 2, when he apparently discovered a cure for male pattern baldness - keeping my eye out for a repeat.
I read that Hulu was going to become available in the U.K. in September. Maybe you can catch it there if you miss the rerun.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I read that Hulu was going to become available in the U.K. in September. Maybe you can catch it there if you miss the rerun.

Thanks for that - I didn't know Hulu was coming our way.

But I was just joshing about missing that episode. It was a light-hearted reference to the fact that the glare from the back of his bonce, evident throughout season 1, was no longer there at the start of season 2.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Thanks for that - I didn't know Hulu was coming our way.

But I was just joshing about missing that episode. It was a light-hearted reference to the fact that the glare from the back of his bonce, evident throughout season 1, was no longer there at the start of season 2.
You know, I watch the show and could not think of an episode involving baldness so figured I might have missed it as well.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:

Can't get into House and it's everything to do with Hugh Laurie's accent...I just keep expecting "Dammnit, John!!!!"... can't get through a full episode.

I've watched every episode of Criminal Minds, with and without Mandy Patinkin, I really like that show. And I also like Numb3rs too (guilty pleasure).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Can't get into House and it's everything to do with Hugh Laurie's accent...I just keep expecting "Dammnit, John!!!!"... can't get through a full episode.
ABoF&L is hee-LAIR-eous. British comedy is SO much funnier than American comedy. At least it is to me. It's a more intelligent, insighful, and sarcastic comedy. A lot of Amricans do not get it, sadly. I am glad that I'm one who does.

I think my favourite Laurie American accent was when he sang There Ain't But One Way. He hit the southern country music persona/accent perfectly. Not to mention Fry's perfect impersonation of an old neighbor of mine.