Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #16
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
just to add my experiences, I found lits the most enjoyable to read, but the parser is a bit too flaky at the moment (on my bebook v2.01NL 13 Nov 08) , rtfs I found no problems, but as a others have mentioned no pictures - but it has given me the most stablest reading so far. Im giving fb2 another try (I love the way properly created fb2 files display in the bookcase view on the bebook) - Ive had mixed experiences, converting to fb2 using book designer, fb designer and abclit. Some files indent the page, while others dont - I've only just realised fb2 files are just ordinary xml files, so you can read them in notepad too, gives you a much better idea on how its structured . . .
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #17
Aukel
Aukel began at the beginning.

Device: Used MSReader on Laptop; then ony PRS-500; now HanLin V3
Hokay So,

I have got Fiction Book Designer working and it is nicely formatting my books, which takes the pressure off.

I installed a different font, but it doesn't display in that font the book. When I check the settings, it is ticked, but the book doesn't display in my nice serif font.

So that is the next thing to work on.
Aukel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aukel View Post
the book doesn't display in my nice serif font.
If the ebook is FB2, you need to look under the settings with a FB2 ebook open. There is an option to select the font, and your serif font should be listed as one of the alternatives.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:10 AM   #19
Aukel
Aukel began at the beginning.

Device: Used MSReader on Laptop; then ony PRS-500; now HanLin V3
Thanks wallcraft!

Much better.
Aukel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #20
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
and remember only true type fonts are supported
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #21
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User
hpkeong began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8, V3, Fujitsu Tablet PC, EEE PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aukel View Post
Hiya,

So I had a PRS-500 for years and loved it.

Found no problem converting books using Calibre, or just using rtf files.

Then it broke, bottom half of the screen faded until it stopped being readable.

So I bought a HanLin V3 since it is available in Aus and I can actually get a warranty for it, which is nice.

So I got it, plonked the new firmware from Jinke on it and proceed to try and load a book onto it.

No problem with the loading just with the viewing and not going insane.

Here are my results:
.txt files - Font is too large I barely get two and a half paragraphs to the page.
.pdf files - on smallest zoom, way to small to read, on medium zoom, the page is split across two pages so the first page is full but the second page is only about a quarter of a page.
.doc - font too large

So then I though I would try .fb2 files.
After working my way through elementary Russian to find and download some software I managed to get "Any to FB2" working.
If I convert from a .doc, .rtf, or .htm file it puts the whole book in italics, and gives me a left margin of about an inch and a half.
So I converted a text file to fb2 and it was good.

Finished that book and thought well swell, I can start converting books and reading to my hearts deisre.
So I convert another book over and now this book has random sections in large font, or italics, or weird margins, all within the one book.

So my round about way of getting to a question leaves me with this:

What is a good format for reading on the HanLin v3, I am happy to run conversion software happy to reformat, happy to use macros, happy to do anything that is reproducable, and gives me a decent book format.

Please Help!!!
Hi:

Since you are using Hanlin V3 for your own, I would propose you download WOlf Printer / Wolf Maker. It is a very small size and easy to use book creator. It will convert text, html and even doc to WOL format and it displays perfectly on Hanlin. If you are ahving problem to download, let me know and I can email you the software - free from Jinke for V8 models but no more for V3 - however it works on all Hanlin ebooks.

You may give me your email address!

Hong
hpkeong is offline   Reply With Quote