Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Judyw22
Judyw22 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Question Problem with Calibre Conversion

I have been converting a lot of text documents to Kindle format using Calibre. However, I have one document that is causing me trouble.

When I convert it to AZW3 format and load it into the Kindle it will not work with my dictionary.

I have used the hex editor to check the format of the document and it says it is MOBI format not AZW3. Somehow Kindle is converting it to MOBI when I send it to the device.

Now I can drag and drop th AZW3 format into the kindle but then I lose the meta data which is the big thing I need.

Can anyone help me with this problem?
Judyw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please use the forums correctly. Calibre questions belong in the Calibre forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyw22 View Post
I have been converting a lot of text documents to Kindle format using Calibre. However, I have one document that is causing me trouble.
When I convert it to AZW3 format and load it into the Kindle it will not work with my dictionary.
K3 Dictionary problems are almost always caused by language metadata problems. AFAIK, Calibre will use the GUI language as the language code by default. I.e. all text files converted with the English version of Calibre will automatically have English as the language code. Also converting text files to .azw3 files won't get you a better quality ebook.
Download JavaMobiMetadata editor and check/modify the the language metadata of your Kindle books.

Alternatively, download Sigil and open it, paste the text in Book View mode into the Section0001.xhtml default document, press F8 to add the desired metadata, save the book as an .epub file and convert it with Calibre or Kindle Previewer.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Doitsu: calibre does not use the interface language, it uses whatever language you have set in the book's metadata. Interface language is only used if the metadata has no language.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@Doitsu: calibre does not use the interface language, it uses whatever language you have set in the book's metadata. Interface language is only used if the metadata has no language.
The OP converted text files, which don't have metadata. I.e. unless the OP added/modified the metadata after adding the text file to Calibre it'll default to the UI language, won't it?

Or are there text file formats that support metadata?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post

Or are there text file formats that support metadata?
txtz for one.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote