Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #46
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Somehow got this in the wrong thread:

These were put-downable:

Jamie Quatro -- I want to show you more

Meh. A couple of the shorter pieces on affairs were nice, but most of the stories sounded like things i've heard in my writers' group. Which is not to say that these aren't polished or properly edited, quite the contrary. It's just that narrative point of view, the settings & narrative content cover familiar territory, even when the narrative form is magical realism.

But i did zip right through it. It helps that many of these pieces are the right size for my commute.

John Krich -- Music in every room: Around the world in a bad mood

Can't decide if this is a parody of travel writing or just overwritten. Sometimes the narrator drops the baroque exclamations and repetitions for a quieter, almost elegaic mode. I liked those moments best. Once in a while the prose matches the setting. I think that happens in the Istanbul chapter. Also, some of the passive aggressive dynamics with Iris and other travellers are amusing.

Again, it helps that this one comes in commuter-sized chunks.

This one has held my interest more:

Keynes -- General theory

The paper copy has been on my shelf for 15 years. Something made me want to read it after all thee years, but i couldn't find it. I dug up an epub online somewhere. At about the halfway point, i'm finding it surpisingly readable.

Last edited by barutanseijin; 04-03-2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: argh -- wrong thread.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #47
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Ready Player One

This book was selected by our university as THE book of the year to be read by all incoming freshmen. Excellent, memorable - reminds me of Ender's Game.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #48
TCSimpson
Fantasy Author
TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus Tablet
A Memory of Light, the final Wheel of Time book. But then I'm a huge fan of the series.
TCSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #49
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I'll make a shout-out for Ian Sales' Across the Sea of Rains and The Eye Which Beholds the Universe. Sea of Rains just won the British SF Award for best short fiction of last year (although in truth, it's novella-length). Definitely one of the best pieces of sf I've read in some time.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #50
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMcTiernan View Post
I read Gone Girl a while ago and it was a page-turner, but now I'm reading her older book, Dark Places, and I can't put it down! Highly recommend if you like dark thrillers...
Of her three books so far, I liked the first one, Sharp Objects, best.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #51
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. The book is nearly 1,000 pages long and I read it in just a few days. I found it very very hard to put down.
I am listening to this one right now, and yes, it just draws you in.

The last two books that I found quite addictive were The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and Erebos by Ursula Poznanski. The former one isn't something I would usually read, but it had great characters and I absolutely loved it.

At the moment, I am alternating between two very good reads: Red Planet Blues by Robert J. Sawyer and The Man from Primrose Lane by James Renner. The new Sawyer is a SF/mystery crossover set on Mars, the latter one is a crime novel that is supposed to have some SF elements as well, but so far (I am 40% in) they haven't shown up. But it has interesting characters and the mystery is interesting too.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #52
montmorency
montmorency began at the beginning.

Device: none
(Non-Fiction) "The Grip of Death" Michael Rowbotham (1998)

(Non-Fiction) "The Grip of Death" Michael Rowbotham (1998)

Not so much the writing, as the content.

About our money system, and the peculiar way it works, probably the reason why our economy (and not just ours) is in such a bad way.
Still very relevant.
montmorency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #53
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post

John Krich -- Music in every room: Around the world in a bad mood

Can't decide if this is a parody of travel writing or just overwritten. Sometimes the narrator drops the baroque exclamations and repetitions for a quieter, almost elegaic mode. I liked those moments best. Once in a while the prose matches the setting. I think that happens in the Istanbul chapter. Also, some of the passive aggressive dynamics with Iris and other travellers are amusing.
Hey! I've actually read this one ... as an audiobook years ago. Don't recall the details but my impression squares with your comments.

For a recent read that turned out much better than expected: An Inquiry Into Love and Death - set in 1920's England featuring an Oxford student drawn into a village mystery by the death of her estranged uncle there. Fans of the Maisie Dobbs series should like this one.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #54
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Mullumbimby by Melissa Lucashenko. Absolutely brilliant.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #55
JSC_1
Enthusiast
JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!JSC_1 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

Haven't finished this book yet, but it's very good.
JSC_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #56
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch

I am looking forward to reading more of his books
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #57
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acprinter View Post
The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch

I am looking forward to reading more of his books
Oh, I have that on one of my e-readers. I'll have to move it up my list.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #58
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
A Memory of Light.......can't put it down because after so long I want to see how it ends Only 19% in but so far, so good!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #59
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
The Man from Primrose Lane by James Renner.
This was definitely science fiction with a mystery plot. And it was a page turner, couldn't put it down until I got to the end.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #60
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
James Salter -- A sport and a pastime

I'm propelled by voyeurism. There's the good parts and then the really good parts to read for.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote