Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Walpole, Hugh Seymour: The Old Ladies. V1. 20 May 2012

Sir Hugh Seymour Walpole, CBE (13 March 1884 – 1 June 1941) was an English novelist. A prolific writer, he published thirty-six novels, five volumes of short stories, two plays and three volumes of memoirs. His skill at scene-setting, his vivid plots, his high profile as a lecturer and his driving ambition brought him a large readership in the United Kingdom and North America. A best-selling author in the 1920s and 1930s, his works have been neglected since his death

Excerpt
She is true, she is real, she is alive—so alive that, as I am writing this little foreword now, I am not sure that she is not standing near the window, her eyes greedily fixed upon the piece of red amber on my table . . . She has wanted it for a very long time. . .
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: epub Old Ladies, The.epub (542.5 KB, 513 views)
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Can't open the book

Charlie - it's probably just that I'm a little dumb, but the Walpole book attached to your post is a .php file and I can't open it in Calibre.

What do I need to do?
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
You get the .php file when you right-click. To download the .epub, you have to left-click.

EDIT: At least that's what happens to me at home (Windows). Now I'm at a Mac, and I get the .epub whichever way I click. Weird...

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 03-23-2013 at 06:39 AM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm getting the .php whether I left- or right-click, I'm afraid (but I hadn't tried that - thanks for the suggestion). Regrettably, getting a Mac is a bit out of my league.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Using Windows and Chrome, I can just click on the "Attached file" (actually on the Old Ladies, The.epub) and it downloads the ePub file perfectly for me.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Peter:
I'm using Windows 7 and Mozilla Firefox, and it doesn't download as an epub - just that .php file.

I have downloaded quite a few books from Mobile Read previously, but this is a new problem to me.

I'll give Google Chrome a try.

[edit] It was the same in Google Chrome.

Last edited by Araucaria; 03-24-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
You should really post about your problem in the Feedback section - or ask a moderator via PM. I use Windows 7 with Firefox just like you and have no problem at all. I have no idea what might be the problem, but perhaps someone else will. Good luck!
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When I try in Firefox I get the following

A left click on the link itself results in a dialog from Firefox that says
Code:
You have chosen to open:
Old Ladies, The.epub
which is a: EPUB file (542kb)

What should Firefox do with this file?
O  Open with Adobe Digital Editions  (default)
O  Save File
O  Do this automatically for files like this from now on
A right click on the other hand gives me a box to select
Code:
Open Link in new Tab
Open Link in new Window
Bookmark This Link
Save Link As...
Copy Link Location
Selecting Save Link As then saves the file.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I've no idea what the problem might be, but I use Windows 7 and have just downloaded the ebook by left clicking on the file name.

I wonder whether it's a problem with the file or with the original poster's computer.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
Araucaria
Bibliophile

I am grateful for the help, and I suspect it is something to do with my computer. As yet I have no idea what it might be!

When I left-click the file-name above, it goes straight to a new pop-up window which says (at the top) "Enter name of file to save to ....", and at the bottom there's a pair of lines: the upper one has, pre-entered, the file name "attachment.php" and the lower one says "epub file (*.php)".

If I download this to the destination I select in the middle of the pop-up window, what I have is a file with a .php extension, which apparently nothing on my computer will touch.

If I right-click on it, I get the range of suggestions that Peter T has posted above, and a few others, but nothing useful. If I select "save link as", I get the same pop-up screen, with the same options, as I get if I left-click it.

It seems that all the books on the forum download as .php files for me. Obviously I haven't checked them all .... but a small sample gives the same result.

I really would appreciate a suggestion!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
Araucaria
Bibliophile

I think I have tracked down the problem - I am fairly sure it was one of the Firefox add-ons which I was using - probably Hola, though I am not sure as I tried disabling two or three of them (the others were ad-blockers) at the same time. Anyway, after re-starting the file now appears as an epub.

Nevertheless, it is a curious side-effect!

Thank you all for the suggestions.