Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
knj691
knj691 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
mobi. files play on kindle for PC but not on new Kindle Touch

I have a disc with a lot of kindle books in mobi format, they play perfect on Kindle for PC but when I transfer them to my new Kindle Touch they are not there. Any ideas or is this another piece of junk I have bought (at twice the cost in USA).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
knj691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are you putting them in the Kindle's 'documents' folder?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
knj691

Yes. Thanks for the reply. I can access them by connecting to my PC, but if I open them it reads them on the PC not the Kindle.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
knj691

I have managed to send 1 book by email & that works. But there are a lot of books to send, is there a way of doing it in bulk?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knj691 View Post
I can access them by connecting to my PC, but if I open them it reads them on the PC not the Kindle.
If it is opening them on the PC, then you are not opening them on the Kindle. If you are double-clicking on the file in the Documents folder from your PC, then of course it will open it on the PC. To read the book on the Kindle, you need to open it from the Kindle's home screen (or a collection screen).

What exactly happens when you try to open one of these books on the Kindle?

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
knj691

Thanks for the reply. I cannot access them at all on the kindle, only on PC as ext drive. I have begun transferring the books 20 at atime by sending to kindle app. It´s slow but it works.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I cannot access them at all on the kindle, only on PC as ext drive. I have begun transferring the books 20 at atime by sending to kindle app. It´s slow but it works.
You're doing something terribly wrong. There's no way you should have to email all of your valid mobi files (I'm assuming they're valid if they open in the Kindle PC app) to your Kindle Touch.

And what do you mean by "sending to kindle app"?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Yes. Thanks for the reply. I can access them by connecting to my PC, but if I open them it reads them on the PC not the Kindle.
You don't seem to have understood the reply you got.

When you connect your Kindle to your PC it appears as an external disk drive. On that external disk drive there is a folder "documents". When copying .mobi format ebooks to your kindle, they must be copied into that folder, and nowhere else. If you copy them there, they should show up on your Kindle's list of ebooks once disconnected from your PC.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
knj691

Thank you pdurrant & everyone who helped. The problem is now solved. I was trying to use the send to function that I use to transfer files to my media drive. I blame my sge & the sun here in Spain.

Thanks again for your help & patience.
Ken
Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
I was about to chime in with my discovery that I couldn't read a book in my Fire after moving it over from my PC. Turns out that there are two identically named files, one large and one small, with different extensions. I was moving the wrong one.

(This was however created by a different process and may not have had a *.mobi extension.)

Anyhow, there it is for what it's worth.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote