Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-16-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
FunThomas
FunThomas began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White
M92 Fails to open a PDF file

I wanted to read a Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but my Onyx M92 fails to open this file. I have upgraded firmware, but problem persists. I was wondering if it could be caused by a weird font used for this PDF file (see attachement). According to Foxit Reader there are 2 fonts used:
  • WimpyKidDialogue (Embeded Subset), True Type (CID), Encoding: Identity-H
  • WimpyKid (Embeded Subset), True Type (CID), Encoding: Identity-H

I also tried some online PDF validators, but there were no problems found for this PDF.
Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wimpy_kid_sample.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	120318  
FunThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
It does not open the pdf file OR it opens the file, but the screen is blank?

Identity-H encoding is maybe the thing that causes a problém. Try to convert pdf so that it does not use Identity-H encoding.

You would have to probably print it to a virtual pdf printer (like e.g. Bullzip pdf printer), or change those two fonts to some other with e.g. Unicode encoding.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #3
FunThomas

Thanks for tips. I printed the PDF file using Foxit Reader, but it didn't help. M92 seems to be opening the file, wheel is spinning for a while, but than it returns back to the File browser.
I don't know how to change the encoding, but printing the PDF to a virtual printer turns all text to bitmaps, so it shouldn't matter.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

In that case, I do not know, what is the problém.

Try print PDF as bitmap if Foxit allows that and if you can choose it somewhere in setup, then not more than say 150 dpi. (Foxit might print pdf as vectors by default. It should be OK for M92, but it might cause problems....)

I do not have any problems with scanned texts. Even big books.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
FunThomas

It seems, problem is solved. It looks like the only problem was, that filename contained # (Diary of a Wimpy Kid #1.pdf). After renaming the PDF file, everything works smoothly.
Thanks for your help.
By the way, is this a known issue (filename shouldn't contain #)?
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Mono
Mono

I do not know, that it might be an issue. I do not recollect anyone would mention it.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
This guy has solved a similar problem recently by changing the pdf file name produced by his scanner.

Probably by omitting # or some other special character in the new name.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231530

Last edited by markom; 03-18-2014 at 09:36 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote