Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #31
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Just tried to buy all of these sale books, but can't make the payment. I keep getting a message saying that my billing address doesn't match my card address. Checked with the bank and all's well their side, so now I'm waiting to hear back from Poisoned Pen. It's all too much after not being able to access Singapore library.
Obviously I had to check it was all working okay, and have just bought 9 of the original 10 books (I skipped the last one, about the polygamists, since it didn't really sound like my thing, and it wasn't even the first in the series - was I wise?) Didn't seem to have any problems with my UK card/address.

I'm not sure I like the time-limited links. I've downloaded them all, but I don't know if I'll get them onto my reader(s) before the time limit is up.

I'm holding you all collectively responsible if they're rubbish.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #32
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Obviously I had to check it was all working okay, and have just bought 9 of the original 10 books (I skipped the last one, about the polygamists, since it didn't really sound like my thing, and it wasn't even the first in the series - was I wise?) Didn't seem to have any problems with my UK card/address.

I'm not sure I like the time-limited links. I've downloaded them all, but I don't know if I'll get them onto my reader(s) before the time limit is up.

I'm holding you all collectively responsible if they're rubbish.
Did I miss something? What time limited links?
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #33
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Did I miss something? What time limited links?
You have a limited time, starting from purchase, to download from the website the zip files containing your DRM-free ePub/Mobi books.

Quote:
I should note that the time limit only applies to downloading the files, and not to actually using them.

I personally download a 2nd copy of each using a different browser after a few hours have passed, just in case of something going wrong with the transmission resulting in file corruption, but I'm sure that PPPress would send a usable copy if that happened and one contacted them, considering the president of the company himself answered sufue's email.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #34
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Just tried to buy all of these sale books, but can't make the payment. I keep getting a message saying that my billing address doesn't match my card address. Checked with the bank and all's well their side, so now I'm waiting to hear back from Poisoned Pen. It's all too much after not being able to access Singapore library.
I thought I was the only one ... their help via email is less than helpful.

Are they just down?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #35
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, sorry, I meant that I wouldn't know if they were okay until I got them onto one of my readers. Although it's not that easy to tell I've even downloaded all of them with the obfuscated file names. I'm pretty sure there were nine.

You have 24 hours to download the files from the time of purchase. I guess that's the only sensible way to do things without a persistent account. I'd better make sure I back them up.
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #36
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Obviously I had to check it was all working okay, and have just bought 9 of the original 10 books (I skipped the last one, about the polygamists, since it didn't really sound like my thing, and it wasn't even the first in the series - was I wise?)
I'm reading Desert Wives now. It is largely a rant in the guise of a murder mystery against Mormons and the polygamy enclaves that actually exist in Arizona and Utah, and the failure of law enforcement in those states to really do anything about it. It also describes -- repeatedly -- the abuse some polygamists impose upon women and young girls and the brainwashing that is done, all with the collaboration of local law enforcement. Makes me wonder if the author didn't have a direct, bad, personal experience.

The book is decently written, not great, and will not ever be considered one of the best mysteries of any week let alone year, decade, or century. For 99 cents, it gets 3/5 stars. For any price point higher than 99 cents it gets 2/5 stars. You aren't missing anything worth worrying about.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #37
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got an email this morning from Poison Pen saying that the reason my credit card is being rejected is that it's issued by a non USA bank. Well hello, I'm in Australia. This is after the website said that my billing address didn't match the address for the card. They are going to get back to me. I can try another card which is also issued by an Oz bank but a more international one, will wait for more info first. I'd give up but there are a couple of those books that I really want.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #38
DrNefario
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
You aren't missing anything worth worrying about.
Ok, thanks. I imagine some of the others won't be to my taste, either, but that one was also the second in the series.

Last edited by DrNefario; 02-09-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added context
Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #39
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Got an email this morning from Poison Pen saying that the reason my credit card is being rejected is that it's issued by a non USA bank. Well hello, I'm in Australia. This is after the website said that my billing address didn't match the address for the card. They are going to get back to me. I can try another card which is also issued by an Oz bank but a more international one, will wait for more info first. I'd give up but there are a couple of those books that I really want.
Probably the long way around, but you could "buy" a US issued prepaid CC?

Or (if you can get a paypal account) a Paypal debit card (which works like a US credit card)?

They are on sale at Amazon, as well. Don't know about anywhere else.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #40
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
They are on sale at Amazon, as well. Don't know about anywhere else.
Also available, at least the ones I've tried, at B&N and Kobo US sites. Don't know if either of those will help in Australia.

The one I bought from Kobo was couponable, even though it didn't show two prices. And the ones at B&N are a bit less than the $6.99 that seems typical of most (non-promo) PPPress e-books on their own website. But, recently I've been buying direct from their website, because I like their attitude (two formats, no DRM) and customer service (they were very very quick at getting back to me the twice I've e-mailed them - although, of course, I do live in their same time zone most of the year).

Last edited by sufue; 02-09-2012 at 04:32 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #41
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Hypothetically, one could get them cheapest from Kobo, but I prefer to deal direct and get them not only DRM-free (which they are not in the other stores) but also support the authors/publisher with more money going to them.

At the current sale price point, Amazon would give them 35 cents and PPP would then have to take their cut before passing on the remaining few cents to the authors. Direct buying gives them the entire 99 cents less transaction fees and hopefully they'd share out the extra profits.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #42
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Hypothetically, one could get them cheapest from Kobo, but I prefer to deal direct and get them not only DRM-free (which they are not in the other stores) but also support the authors/publisher with more money going to them.

At the current sale price point, Amazon would give them 35 cents and PPP would then have to take their cut before passing on the remaining few cents to the authors. Direct buying gives them the entire 99 cents less transaction fees and hopefully they'd share out the extra profits.
Understood - however, since they have chosen a very poor checkout process (I hate it over on the other site mentioned; coupons aren't processed until after you've completed your paypal process, so you have to trust that they will work), there are some other options for those who can't get their site to work.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #43
amward
Wizard

Well I'm a happy shopper and have all the books I wanted. Suzan Baroni from Poisoned Press looked into it for me, was able to suspend the geographical restrictions temporarily so that I could make my purchase. Can't ask for more than that although it beats me why they have them in the first place. At least she was prepared to go the extra mile for a customer.

Last edited by amward; 02-18-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #44
DrNefario
Wizard

Maybe it was just a stroke of luck for me that my Credit Card is ultimately provided by Bank of America.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #45
amward
Wizard

Could be. I've been told that they are going to leave it so cards from non USA banks will be accepted, at least for a while and see how it goes. Can't see that there would be any problems.