Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
The fingerprint magnet

Did anybody find an effective way to clean the screen?
Can I assume that the screen is real glass? And from there can I use normal window cleaner?

Anything better than window cleaner? I don't know - ... something readily available like lime juice or vodka? Any house recipes?

I have an LCD cleaning pad - made out of plastic, with a kind of polster on it, but the cleaning solution is expensive as hell at the rate that my fingers smear around on the display...
Commercial solutions are often made for compatibility with plastic screens as well, so that's why I'm wondering if somebody else has a better solution.

Thanks!

Last edited by hieronymos; 12-01-2011 at 12:18 PM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I just keep a glasses cloth handy. works well enough.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

You don't know my fingers :-) I have to clean my keyboard every 6 months because people start asking me what exactly I spilt on it...
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I use the spray cleaner that I use on my eyeglasses when a microfiber cloth alone isn't enough.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
You don't know my fingers :-) I have to clean my keyboard every 6 months because people start asking me what exactly I spilt on it...
lol well, if that's the case, then maybe it's not really the screen you need to worry about . I actually do keep a bunch of purell wipe packets in my pocket when I visit client machines which I use on my hands both before and after I use their keyboards/mice. Did it more so last week because I was battling through a nasty cold.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Darnielle
Enthusiast
Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

The police in my local area have decided to buy a few Voxs for their precinct; they figure it'll save a hell of a lot of aluminum powder when they need to take fingerprints.

I've been using a microfibre cloth that came with my father's glasses, but it still doesn't work as well as I'd like. I also have these great disposable glasses wipes that come soaked in some sort of cleaning fluid, they do the trick nicely.
Darnielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Did anybody find an effective way to clean the screen?
Can I assume that the screen is real glass? And from there can I use normal window cleaner?

Anything better than window cleaner? I don't know - ... something readily available like lime juice or vodka? Any house recipes?

I have an LCD cleaning pad - made out of plastic, with a kind of polster on it, but the cleaning solution is expensive as hell at the rate that my fingers smear around on the display...
Commercial solutions are often made for compatibility with plastic screens as well, so that's why I'm wondering if somebody else has a better solution.

Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

White vinegar and distilled water is the best glass cleaner around. It will remove grease/wax/oil (like the oil from your hands...) but not harm any glass (etch) or decompose plastics and carbonates. Use 1 part white vinegar to 3 parts water. Wet the micro-fibre cloth (not saturated) BEFORE you wipe and do not spray or dribble fluids onto the Vox screen or any computer screen, or monitor. That is the proper 'tech' way to clean a projection surface. A tip, make a first very lite pass with your cloth, and turn it over...make another lite pass, so as to remove any debris that might scratch the surface if you start your orbiting cleaning movements across that surface, and in fact, trap the debris (dust, hair, micro minerals/dirt, etc) between the cloth and surface...thereby sandpapering it!

The above will keep all your monitors, laptops, and other 'lookers' like new. Also you should use this cleaning agent on your ear cups of your headphones after each use. Why?...because you excrete oil and salt onto your skin (finger tips, earlobes...) and if left on surfaces...will eventually break those synthetics down with need to replace the pads.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-01-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
hieronymos
Groupie

That's the thing! Great! AND my Kobo is green, so I can call it Pickle! :-)

And psyke, you're right about that I have to take care of my hands - actually I'm so greasy that I have a few skin problems (it clogs) - but well I guess not all electronic devices can be made out of pure cotton :-(
Old 12-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

I had that exact same problem until about 3 years ago when I went to a very low carb diet to reverse my diabetes.
Ironic that having a diet about 70 percent fats and my skin is less greasy. Oh yes and the Cholesterol went back to what they call normal and my diabetes went away.

Quote:
That's the thing! Great! AND my Kobo is green, so I can call it Pickle! :-)

And psyke, you're right about that I have to take care of my hands - actually I'm so greasy that I have a few skin problems (it clogs) - but well I guess not all electronic devices can be made out of pure cotton :-(
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
I got a big box of disposable pre-moistened lens wipes from the eyeglass store in wal-mart for under $4 fo 50 packets.
I just keep one in the pocket of my vox cover for when needed.
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
As 99% of the time I use it while in my Lazyboy I move my goose neck lamp so it's shining off to the side. Problem solved.

Then when I'm reading on the Touch I move the lamp back. Which reminds me. I should buy another goose neck lamp as a spare.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
anti-reflective lens cleaner and microfibre cloth.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxman View Post
I got a big box of disposable pre-moistened lens wipes from the eyeglass store in wal-mart for under $4 fo 50 packets.
I just keep one in the pocket of my vox cover for when needed.
------------------------------------------------------

Check to see if there is any form of alcohol (isopropyl, etc), on those wipes. If so, they are detrimental to forms of plastic and/or carbonate. Alcohol will in fact start to etch and break down the surface of the above. Only glass can withstand this chemical. Household white (not wine) vinegar breaks down the cohesion of the oil/grease molecules and safely removes them without any danger to glass and oil-based products (plastics, teflon, polyester, etc) People in the 30's and 40's were using this for years (clean windows...) before such products as Windex (sp?) ever came along....
Old 12-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
hieronymos
Groupie

Either way, the vinegar solution seems to be working way better than the expensive distilled water cleaner that I had before. I didn't even wipe the screen since the 1st.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Either way, the vinegar solution seems to be working way better than the expensive distilled water cleaner that I had before. I didn't even wipe the screen since the 1st.
--------------------------------------------

I'm glad that you are liking the effect. It really strips all can-smear residue off of the screen and makes for a really good finger/screen contact.

Funny, how we have lost what was common-sense household cleaning solutions, in favour of the commercial advertised-pounding we get to buy 'new..and improved'...whatever!

Vinegar and Water for glass and surface cleaning. 50/50 makes for the best all round mixture. The water should be distilled for best pickup.

Coarse and or normal salt sprinkled on cookware to scrub off grease and grime before a good rinsing....all of the old 'grandma' ways still work, and in most cases better for the job, personal health of the family, and general environment. I think that book readers, are in general; 'green' people! We exercise our minds, and with that, tend to reason a lot more... (smile).

Edit: Hieronymous, it also will take that smear/glaze off of the Vox and really let you see the glorious colours that it can display. Some people are still looking through a haze layer (and that haze layer keeps building up...), even with after cleaning with other solutions. Yeppers....

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-03-2011 at 01:09 PM.