Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Acousticvillage
Enthusiast
Acousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad, Marvin 3, Mapleread
My Genres won't list in my catalogue - only tags!

Dear all I hope you can help. When I create a catalogue (mobi output) I want to have "genres" as one of the sections. However, I keep getting "Tags" data listed. The section title says "genres" but the data has come from my "tags".

I've tried to ensure that I check all the lists I want. My genres have things like "Drama.Action", Drama.Thriller", "Historical" etc.

How do I get my catalogue to include my genres and NOT include all the tag data?

Any help would be appreciated...this is driving me nuts!!
Acousticvillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticvillage View Post
Dear all I hope you can help. When I create a catalogue (mobi output) I want to have "genres" as one of the sections. However, I keep getting "Tags" data listed. The section title says "genres" but the data has come from my "tags".
I may be wrong, but I did a quick look and it doesn't seem as if custom columns is supported. Most folks put tags that equate to genres in the tag column. Then the catalog feature uses the info in the Tag column to create Genre data.

If I'm wrong someone will come along and let us both know.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Acousticvillage
Enthusiast
Acousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipseAcousticvillage can illuminate an eclipse

Many thanks for you kind reply. It seems to make sense. Now.....is there a way to copy all my custom "genres" columns data into the "tag" columns using a script........:0)
Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticvillage View Post
Many thanks for you kind reply. It seems to make sense. Now.....is there a way to copy all my custom "genres" columns data into the "tag" columns using a script........:0)
Highlight all of your books and go to the edit metadata window and use the Search and replace tab. If you want the tag column to just have the new info from your genre column you might want to remove all tags first using the metadata window and checking Remove all next to remove tags.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I may be wrong, but I did a quick look and it doesn't seem as if custom columns is supported.
I noticed this also. A BIG deal to me for a usable catalog.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Acousticvillage
Enthusiast

Many thanks indeed Dwanthny. Really helpful. Hope I can repay the favour to someone else who is new...
Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
sjp1075
sjp1075 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Highlight all of your books and go to the edit metadata window and use the Search and replace tab. If you want the tag column to just have the new info from your genre column you might want to remove all tags first using the metadata window and checking Remove all next to remove tags.
Can you please explain in layman's language exactly how to get the genre classifications into the tags column. I can remove all the tags but I'm not sure on what to do in order to do a bulk transfer from genres into tags. I'm trying to do exactly what acousticvillage is doing but he/she is obviously more advanced than I with calibre. I am learning but still get confused. A step by step explanation would be very appreciated. Thanks so much.
sjp1075 is offline   Reply With Quote