Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Norik
Norik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 350 (and a 700 in a drawer)
Using the 'Download to Computer' option?

Is it possible to use the 'Download to Computer' option on the Manage Your Kindle page of amazon with an iphone plugged into the PC?

Cheers.
Norik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

On DRM protected books I think each copy is specifically encrypted for the device in which it was downloaded, so the PC copy of the book will not open on another device. If you strip off the DRM then you can side load it to any applicable device. But side loaded books cannot be automatically synced (last page read, highlighting, bookmarks, notes) between devices.
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't get a choice of my iPod or iPad in the "Transfer via Computer" drop-down box on the Manage Your Kindle page. Those devices are presumed to be able to download from Amazon via wireless.

You can copy non-DRM .mobi books into the File Sharing section of the Kindle app, under Apps in iTunes, while connected.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I don't get a choice of my iPod or iPad in the "Transfer via Computer" drop-down box on the Manage Your Kindle page. Those devices are presumed to be able to download from Amazon via wireless.
I think you only get the "Transfer via Computer" option if you have a PC with K4PC (Kindle for PC app), or Mac equivalent), installed and it is registered as a Kindle device in Manage Your Kindle.

BTW, if you want to strip the DRM from protected Kindle books, the easiest way I've found is to download the book to your PC for use in K4PC and use the instructions posted in MR. Just google "dedrm" and "k4pc" and you will find the instructions.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-03-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why would you need K4PC if you are downloading for an iPhone or iPad? Seems odd.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Why would you need K4PC if you are downloading for an iPhone or iPad? Seems odd.
You don't. I wasn't as clear in my post as I should have been. I should have said that you only see the "Transfer via Computer" option if you have a PC with K4PC installed and it is registered as a Kindle device in Manage Your Kindle. It has no connection with the iPod/iPhone device at all. I was merely trying to show that if the OP is seeing the "Transfer via Computer" option then s/he apparently has K4PC installed on a PC and that is why s/he is seeing the "Transfer via Computer" option. To be clearer, the "Transfer via Computer" option is only usable to download books to your PC to use with K4PC, it is not usable with any other device. Therefore if you don't have K4PC installed and registered as a device then you should not see the "Transfer via Computer" option. I believethat is why you don't see this option.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-03-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You don't. I wasn't as clear in my post as I should have been. I should have said that you only see the "Transfer via Computer" option if you have a PC with K4PC installed and it is registered as a Kindle device in Manage Your Kindle. It has no connection with the iPod/iPhone device at all. I was merely trying to show that if the OP is seeing the "Transfer via Computer" option then s/he apparently has K4PC installed on a PC and that is why s/he is seeing the "Transfer via Computer" option. To be clearer, the "Transfer via Computer" option is only usable to download books to your PC to use with K4PC, it is not usable with any other device. Therefore if you don't have K4PC installed and registered as a device then you should not see the "Transfer via Computer" option. I believethat is why you don't see this option.
That's incorrect. The "transfer via computer" option is for sending an ebook to the pc for transfer to a Kindle. Doubt if it works in the Apple world, though.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #8
samuelarnold
samuelarnold began at the beginning.

Device: none
You can use the option transfer via computer to sending an eBook.
samuelarnold is offline   Reply With Quote