Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #16
katsu
katsu began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle3
Hello kovid, we love Calibre!

I did not install calibre with yum, RPM.

$ yum list | grep alibre
$ rpm -qa | grep alibre
$ sudo find / -name calibre
/usr/share/calibre
/usr/bin/calibre
/home/katsu/calibre
/home/katsu/calibre/calibre
/home/katsu/calibre/calibre/src/calibre
/home/katsu/.config/calibre
/opt/calibre
/opt/calibre/lib/python2.7/site-packages/calibre
/opt/calibre/calibre
/opt/calibre/bin/calibre
/etc/bash_completion.d/calibre
/root/.config/calibre
$
$ ls -l /usr/share/calibre
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 9 19:36 man
$
$ which calibre
/usr/bin/calibre
$ ls -l /usr/bin/calibre
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Oct 9 19:36 /usr/bin/calibre -> /opt/calibre/calibre
$ ls -l /opt/calibre/calibre
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 368 Sep 30 19:08 /opt/calibre/calibre
$ cat /opt/calibre/calibre
#!/bin/sh
path=`readlink -f $0`
base=`dirname $path`
lib=$base/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export MAGICK_HOME=$base
export MAGICK_CONFIGURE_PATH=$lib/ImageMagick-6.6.7/config
export MAGICK_CODER_MODULE_PATH=$lib/ImageMagick-6.6.7/modules-Q16/coders
export MAGICK_CODER_FILTER_PATH=$lib/ImageMagick-6.6.7/modules-Q16/filters
$base/bin/calibre "$@"
$
$ calibre --version
calibre (calibre 0.8.21)
$
katsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
All you should need to do in that case is set CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM correctly. Then the source will be used.

Things to check:

1) CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM is set correctly to the the src directory, no typos
2) Start calibre as /opt/calibre/calibre-debug -g

Stick your print 'Hello, world' in src/calibre/__init__.py
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 03:43 AM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Make sure that CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM is exported as well as set correctly.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #19
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by katsu View Post
set CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM=/home/katsu/calibre/calibre/src
This should be

Code:
$export CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM=/home/katsu/calibre/calibre/src
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #20
katsu

Bingo!!
it should be EXPORTed!

Code:
$ export CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM=/home/katsu/calibre/calibre/src
$ /opt/calibre/calibre-debug -g
Hello, world!
	Compiling form /home/katsu/calibre/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/shortcuts.ui
	Compiling form /home/katsu/calibre/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/filename_pattern.ui
	Compiling form /home/katsu/calibre/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/catalog/catalog_csv_xml.ui
Starting up...
Started up in 3.13954114914
Thank you so much kovid, chaley, user_none!
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #21
katsu

I wish if there are "--show-environment-all" and/or "--show-argument-all" option in debug mode...
Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #22
inner_cloister
inner_cloister began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1.0
Question Trouble Running from Development Version

Does it suffice to have these 2 .bat files on the desktop and run the dev version directly from the .bat file? Also, when I ran the dev version, the program was able to convert files and put them into the folder that I chose, but upon looking manually into the folder, there was no file? Is this normal?

Upon running the dev version again, the conversion was saved, but once again no file to speak of in the folder. Anyone know what's happening?

inner_cloister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #23
teaage
teaage began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
Dear Calibre community, sorry for asking here but I could not find answers so far how to setup the complete Windows development environment for calibre. I just want to know if there is any more or less detailed description how to do it.

What I tried and what I want: I am a developer for embedded software and years ago I used Visual C++ to develop a GUI Control Monitor. Technology evolved and why not to learn Python and Qt now? Calibre is just a great program and I really enjoy using it. I like to learn from example and wish to analyze the calibre source code and its build environment. I followed the instructions in http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html and succeeded with print ("Hello, world!").

But adding the line from “calibre import ipython” brought:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bazaar\calibre\src>calibredb
Hello, world!
Python function terminated unexpectedly
cannot import name ipython (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 108, in run_entry_point
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bazaar\calibre\src\calibre\__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
from calibre import ipython
ImportError: cannot import name ipython

I changed the line to “from calibre.utils import ipython” and succeeded with loading without knowing it is correct now or not. Probably not, because “ipython(locals())” gave me:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bazaar\calibre\src>calibredb
Hello, world!
Python function terminated unexpectedly
'module' object is not callable (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 108, in run_entry_point
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bazaar\calibre\src\calibre\__init__.py", line 41, in <module>
ipython(locals())
TypeError: 'module' object is not callable

Despite of this I wondered how to build all the *.exe and *.dll Files inside the binary calibre install directory. I found the link http://oldbugs.calibre-ebook.com/wik...owsDevelopment, but it is more than 2 years old, so I do not know if it is the nowadays way to setup the complete Windows development environment for calibre.

I would expect some sort of make Environment. May be I just did not found the right link. Any hint would be very helpful.

teaage
teaage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no need to build the binary calibre components to work on calibre. Doing so is not a trivial task. When doing an import you should make sure it is not a global level as otherwise it can cause circular imports. Put it inside a function that you want to debug.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #25
teaage
teaage began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
In-between I found “Notes on setting up the windows development environment” in the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Bazaar\calibre\setup\installer\windows\notes .rst and after reading it I agree that it is not a trivial task.
teaage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #26
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I agree that building Calibre from scratch on a Windows system is not trivial.

However most people simply want to be able to do Calibre development at the python level, and setting up a development environment for that IS trivial and is covered in the User Guide. All you need is the Calibre source and the setting of a single environment variable.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote