Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-15-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
A study in emerald, by Gaiman

Through the 'net's mysterious ways I came accross this short story, by Gaiman. There isn't too much to say about him, since he is a well-known monster in terms of creativity.
This time he delivers a short story about an incredibly smart detective, much in the way of Chesterton, another one of my favourite writers. But with a twist, of course. In the cover of the book that originally contains this story says "Sherlock Holmes enters the dark, nightmare world of H. P. Lovecraft". Almost. I'd rather say "Father Brown meets Lovecraft".
By the way, this story was nominated for best short story in the 2004 Hugo Awards, and it won.

It's short, it's great, it's free and it's one click away:
http://www.neilgaiman.com/exclusive/StudyinEmerald.asp

Hint: you might find it interesting to navigate the rest of his site.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:42 PM   #2
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Thanks for the link to the story Francesco. A good read and an interesting twist at the end. I'm a sucker for Sherlock Holmes stories. Good thing there's no shortage of authors writing their own versions. I have a book called Murder in Bakerstreet edited by the tireless Martin H. Greenberg with several such new Baker Street mysteries. Of course I doubt these stories will have the touches of the supernatural that Gaiman throws into his. Thanks again.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
Team7
Zealot
Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Toshiba e755,Samsung i730
thanks for the link. I havent even followed it yet but I love gaimen and am alway happy for something free of his!
Team7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thank you! Gaiman wrote some wonderful novels, among which Neverwhere is probably my favorite.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Thank you! Gaiman wrote some wonderful novels, among which Neverwhere is probably my favorite.
Funny you should mention it. I was in the bookstore this morning and noticed Neverwhere on the shelf. Thought about picking it up since I've never read any of Gaiman's novels. Looks like Fictionwise has it too and for a full $0.20(USD) less than Amazon!

And you guys say ebooks aren't cheaper than their dead tree versions

I guess I shouldn't complain. I mean it's like getting the DRM for free!

Ok enough joking. I'll check it out Alexander and thanks.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

*GRIN*

With your sarcastic sense of humor, you are definitely going to love this book. Trust me!
Old 01-18-2005, 07:06 AM   #7
Team7
Zealot
Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Toshiba e755,Samsung i730
That is my favorite book of his. I actually bought it in a gas station for a trip. Best gas station buy ever. I really didnt enjoy his American Gods though. It was also rated as one of the best SF books of all time. Go figure.
Team7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 05:19 PM   #8
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I'm in the middle of Neverwhere.

Can't put it down, really.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:56 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
I'm in the middle of Neverwhere.

Can't put it down, really.
Glad you like it... My girlfriend originally recommended it to me, so now I am passing it on