Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 04-20-2007, 02:35 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alternative
I recommend She or Allan Quartermain first.
"Allan Quatermain" is a sequel to "King Solomon's Mines", so I'd strongly suggest starting with that one. The first few volumes of my Haggard Anthology have the books in what I'd suggest as being a reasonably sensible reading order, so you could just read them in the order I've done them. Many of the books mention things that have taken place in other books, so you get the most from them by reading them in the "right" order.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You may have noticed that I've already done a few Dickens books: Bleak House, Oliver Twist, and (most recently) David Copperfield. It is my plan, over the coming months, to produce a "complete works of Dickens" for the Reader, formatting each book as closely as I can to match the printed versions. I have a complete set of the "Oxford Illustrated Dickens" which I'll use as my reference for this.

All the Dickens books I've done so far have been fully illustrated. There are a couple more that I have the illustrations for; the others I'll do "plain text", but try to add illustrations over time as and went I came find them.

It is my utlimate goal to try and make this a kind of "definitive" Dickens for the Reader. I know that he's not exactly everyone's cup of tea, but he is, to my mind, one of the greatest English language novelists who has ever lived, and his books are timeless.

I don't know how long this will take me; it's a long-term project, and I'd rather do each book "right" than rush it for the sake of some artificial deadline.

Hope this will be of interest to at least some other people - as I said above, I know that Dickens doesn't appeal to everybody.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #48
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This is of big interest to me -- I even have that library bound many volume collection. I'd much rather use a nice digital version. I had put it aside basically because I had trouble getting into the Pickwick Papers and one other book, but the other books I read in the past were really wonderful, including Oliver Twist and David Copperfield. The very first part is boring, but once you get into it, you might not sleep very much!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Completely agree with you about the "Pickwick Papers". It was, as I'm sure you know, amongst Dickens' first published work, and I think it shows his relative immaturity as a writer at that time. I find it somewhat tedious, and I far, far prefer his later novels.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #50
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
i liked pickwick papers, i like dickens

anymore twain out there?
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

By the way, in case anyone's wondering why I'm posting some of this pretty wierd Dickens stuff that nobody's ever heard of, like the travelogues and the "Child's History", I'm working through my "Oxford Dickens" complete works pretty much in order, and that's just the order they come in. Don't worry - most of the well-known novels are coming up soon . I know Dickens isn't to everyone's taste, so I'm interspersing it with more "fun" stuff like the Wilkie Collins and the Haggard.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:02 AM   #52
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I just wonder..just by chance do you plan to make a few books by James Fenimore Cooper?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've never read any of his stuff (although I know roughly what he wrote). No - no plans - my time is filled with my existing projects for the foreseeable future. Why not have a go yourself?
Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 AM   #54
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I've never read any of his stuff (although I know roughly what he wrote). No - no plans - my time is filled with my existing projects for the foreseeable future. Why not have a go yourself?
Ok, nevermind then

I am not qulified to do it properly, like you do. I don't have time to learn it although you have provided excellent instructions. Even the books I create for myself (I am slow reader, I read 1 book for 4-5 weeks) I never do it properly. Maybe during summer time I will get a chance and learn how to do it. Right now if I have some spare time, I edit RAW pics from my last summer (August) holidays. I absolutely must finish it before august 2007
Old 04-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #55
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Which one(s) did you have in mind, astra_lestat? I've never read any of his work directly, but my dad used to call me 'Bumppo' when I was a small child, so I've always been somewhat aware of them.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 AM   #56
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Which one(s) did you have in mind, astra_lestat? I've never read any of his work directly, but my dad used to call me 'Bumppo' when I was a small child, so I've always been somewhat aware of them.
Cannot easily answer on that question. I need to check my notebook that I have started when I went to school at 6.5 years old. I will also have to translate it from Russian to the proper English titles Some of the books that HarryT uploads here I can recognise only by desciption, some by the title while the writer's name doesn't say much to me and sometimes by writer's name
I will have a look at it in the evening at home.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 AM   #57
astra
The Introvert

First of all I would like to say that it is not a request.
Please, please I would not want any of you guys who work hard on making nice books for us to spend your time for the books. I was just curious, although I might re-read it in about 3 years Only if you are interesed to read them yourselves, then I will be more than happy to download beauteful LRFs

OK. Here is the first list and the link.
Leatherstocking Tales

A concise version is here:
1744 The Deerslayer
1757 The Last of the Mohicans
1750s The Pathfinder
1793 The Pioneers
1804 The Prairie

I have read the first 4. I loved the first 3 a lot. Disliked the fourth and never read the fifth. But I was a child then. 10-12 something like that

Some 3-4 years later I read another 2 books by Cooper but I don't remember the titles, so I have to wait until I come home and have a look at my notebook.

Last edited by astra; 04-24-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:29 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat
Ok, nevermind then

I am not qulified to do it properly, like you do. I don't have time to learn it although you have provided excellent instructions. Even the books I create for myself (I am slow reader, I read 1 book for 4-5 weeks) I never do it properly. Maybe during summer time I will get a chance and learn how to do it. Right now if I have some spare time, I edit RAW pics from my last summer (August) holidays. I absolutely must finish it before august 2007
When I did Little Fuzzy, it took my no more then 15 min from once I had downloaded the HTML. It's not hard to do. If you are doing single volumes it's not hard at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:41 AM   #59
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've always thought I ought to read these, actually, and I've been wanting to contribute to this effort, but most of the stuff I'm reading is not PD (Baen, in particular, is my frieeend )

The trouble I've run into (after ~7 minutes of looking) is that the texts over at PG are pretty much plain text, (The Last of the Mohicans is available in HTML, but it's an HTML of a plain text, so no help there). That complicates getting the formatting, let alone illustrations, right. When I get another ~7 minutes, I'll poke around a bit more and see if I can find any better sources.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #60
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
Tell you what - I'm waiting for my Reader to arrive and so I'm planning on trying to get to grips with BD over the next few days. I may as well start practicing with one of Cooper's books as anything else.

I'm not promising anything, I may be crap at this, but I'll give it a go - wikipedia seems to have some photo's of book covers and stuff that I could incorporate so we'll see what I can come up with.

Natch, p'raps between us we can get some of them done at least?
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote