Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
rgabbert
rgabbert began at the beginning.

Device: nook
new tablet-what to use

Hi all, quick question for a newbie on this forum. Just purchased a new tablet(great deal, I hope) and I have no idea as to what to use on it for an ereader. I have a nook and with caliber, I'm pretty well set. Now I'm sort of
stuck as to where I go next with the new purchase.
see thumbnail:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	262
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	131898  
rgabbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
You can use the nook app for android, it is available in the Google play store
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
rgabbert
rgabbert began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Just found out that all aspen tabs are preloaded with Bilio which is new to
me. Anyone have any pros/cons on this software, other than it may not
run PDF's?
Ray
rgabbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Have not heard of Bilio...

If that tablet has the Google Play Store and related services on it than you can pretty much get any reading app you want... there are dozens of them including Kobo, Kindle, Nook, and MANY smaller reading apps that people like for various reasons.

If it does NOT have the Play store on it, you can probably put the Amazon App store on it and get a few reading apps through there. You can side load apps as well, although that has risks associated with it.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:20 AM   #5
Shades
Zealot
Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 5T + @Voice, Nook 1st Ed.
Other than the Kindle, Kobo and Nook apps:

I use FBReader and highly recommend it for reading anything without DRM. Reads almost all formats you could imagine throwing at it: Epub, mobi, fb2, RTF, Doc, HTML, and txt. With free plugins it also supports pdf and djVu. Epub3 is only partially supported though.

The UI for settings and such isn't the most pretty out there, but it works and you can also access OPDS book sources like Project Gutenberg to download books that are in the public domain.

There is also the FBReader TTS+ plugin for text to speech. (I recommend using this with the IVONA TTS engine which is free).

A lot of people also like Moon+ Reader, but I've never had a need to use it and it seems like a lot of the features included free in FBReader can only be found in the paid version of Moon+...

Last edited by Shades; 12-10-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
my tablets have me using the Kobo app for their books and for my sideloaded stuff, and Google Play Books for their books. i quite like Google's app, more so than the Kobo, but you can't sideload as easily (you CAN, but you're actually uploading to Google and then downloading it back again via Google Play Books, which is idiotic)
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote