Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
New ereader question

Hey guys,

I'm using my PRS-300 and I love it to death..it's still going strong. I was thinking about picking up another PRS-300 because of how much I love this one, but I was contemplating whether or not that would be a smart idea considering the batteries in them have probably been sitting there in the box now for however many years.

However, my biggest pet peeve with ereaders is clarity. When I first got the PRS-600, I absolutely hated it because of the slight blurriness of the text. I wasn't interested in the touchscreen or anything like that so I promptly returned it for the 300. I was wondering...of the two new readers I see on Sony's website, do either of them have the marvelous clarity of the PRS-300 or should I just buy another PRS-300 to be safe? I really don't care about features (other than battery life...the features the PRS-300 currently has are all I really need in an ereader) other than being able to see the book as if it was literally a page in a real book.

Thanks for the advice.
Cactusgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
When compared to your PRS-300 screen, the T2 and T1 models offer a 16-level gray scale E Ink Pearl display. This clarity and contrast of the image will be dramatically better than what you currently have. With plastic frames, the T1 and T2 are much lighter than the metal cased 300.

Bottom line - if you are satisfied with the 300 screen, size, and features, getting a backup unit may be an good option for you.

I have had numerous Sony readers over the years and have upgraded due to the need for better "readability."
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the response. I just saw a New in Box 300 on ebay for 39 with a leather case..I think I'm gonna jump on that. The thing is, I am IN LOVE with my PRS-300. I love the feel of the metal, I love the screen (and right now, since I haven't seen anything better, I don't know what I'm missing ;p )...I think I'm going to take your advice and get it as a backup. I really have no need to grab a new ereader at the moment so dropping 39 bucks for a backup just seems like a smart thing to do. I'd imagine buying a replacement battery if necessary would be relatively easy on ebay, though those batteries never quite live up to the originals from what I've seen. Still, it seems like a smart bet. Thanks again for the response.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If you love the 300, you might consider taking a look at picking up a PRS-350. It has a much improved screen over the 300, a bit better dpi than the 650, and it's still the small 5" screen you're used to. I've seen new ones still around for between $89-129. If I didn't already have 2 that are still in perfect condition, I'd pick up another!
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Cactusgod
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
If you love the 300, you might consider taking a look at picking up a PRS-350. It has a much improved screen over the 300, a bit better dpi than the 650, and it's still the small 5" screen you're used to. I've seen new ones still around for between $89-129. If I didn't already have 2 that are still in perfect condition, I'd pick up another!
Haha I really appreciate the recommendation. I was looking at some reviews for the 350 and I think it looks great. However, I made the decision not to roll the dice on the touch screen right now. I dont know if it smudges or not, but I'm the kind of person who gets distracted from the slightest little thing on my screens, so I would probably use the stylus every time (or the buttons at the bottom) and I figured I'd just drive myself crazy haha. Plus, I'm a poor student so I'm kinda blinking at myself for buying the 39 dollar PRS-300 and saying "why the heck did you buy this? Your reader is working fine?" lol

Anyway, do you guys think that the battery is going to be an issue? I mean..the PRS-350 came out a bit later than the 300 so I would imagine the whole "Battery sitting the box for 2-3 years" is the same regardless of which one I picked up. I'm leaning towards there really not being a big problem, but you guys are a lot wiser than myself on these topics ;p
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure about the battery issue. I know I bought my 2nd 350 over a year after they came out and had no battery issues on it.

I can say that the touch screen doesn't show fingerprints much at all. Just a slight thumb movement for me is all it takes to turn the page, and short of doing it while eating super greasy french fries, you shouldn't have any issues with fingerprints. The glass has a really nice finish to it that prevents smudges, I hardly ever have to wipe mine (and I'm like you, the least little speck of dust even bothers me and I have to blow it off immediately). The touch works by infrared light around the screen perimeter, so you barely have to touch the glass, can even advance the page just slightly above the glass without really touching it.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
Cactusgod
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Not sure about the battery issue. I know I bought my 2nd 350 over a year after they came out and had no battery issues on it.

I can say that the touch screen doesn't show fingerprints much at all. Just a slight thumb movement for me is all it takes to turn the page, and short of doing it while eating super greasy french fries, you shouldn't have any issues with fingerprints. The glass has a really nice finish to it that prevents smudges, I hardly ever have to wipe mine (and I'm like you, the least little speck of dust even bothers me and I have to blow it off immediately). The touch works by infrared light around the screen perimeter, so you barely have to touch the glass, can even advance the page just slightly above the glass without really touching it.
Hmmm that intrigues me. I'm glad to hear this. I'm one of those folks who constantly washes their hands before touching things like this (and my board games ;P) so it sounds like I wouldnt have much of an issue. I kinda regret pulling the trigger on the 300, but just a little. I'm going to keep my eyes on 350 prices and if I see a decent discount in the next year maybe I'll grab one of those too. I think spending more than like 40 bucks right now is probably not in my best interest ;p. All the input is much appreciated.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusgod View Post
I dont know if it smudges or not, but I'm the kind of person who gets distracted from the slightest little thing on my screens, so I would probably use the stylus every time (or the buttons at the bottom) and I figured I'd just drive myself crazy haha.
I have both 350, 650 and T1 readers (and had 505 and 300 readers). Smudging is NOT an issue with these screens. These screens all have a matte finish and unless your finger is really dirty or greasy, smudging will only be apparent if you look at light reflected off the screen. It's not an issue with normal viewing. This is in contrast with the highly reflective screen of my Asus Transformer, where the oils from my fingers can be a real issue.

If you have a choice, go for the 350. Touch screen not withstanding, the improved contrast with the 350 makes reading easier. If you add PRS+ you will have the second best reader ever made. I still prefer the 650 simply for the larger screen.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The 350/650 have page turn buttons so you rarely need to touch the screen and you can easily use a stylus for the odd time you do. Or clean it

The 350 has the best resolution of all the Sony readers I believe and is much nicer to read on that the 600.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusgod View Post
Thanks for the advice.
C, Find a 950 or get the newer T1 or T2.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I went from a 505 to a 650 awhile ago. The 505's screen/technology would be similar to the 300 (only a bigger screen). And at the beginning of this year, I added a 350 to my reader collection when Sony was selling their refurbished units for a cheap price. I have to say that although I loved my 505, the 650 and 350 are both the best readers I have ever used, and I hope nothing ever happens to them! When I compared the clarity of the 650 and 350 to the 505, they were much clearer (and I was always happy with my 505 screen). But the added bonus of having built in dictionary and the touch screen interface makes the 650/350 much more useful to me. And I agree with Ripplinger and Grumbles--I have no problems at all with fingerprints. And as Helen (speakingtohe) pointed out, the 350/650s have page turn buttons and a stylus, so there really is no need to directly touch the screen at all if you don't want to.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:40 AM   #12
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
I've had a PRS300 first and upgraded to a PRS350. Much better! Improved contrast, velocity, better interface, more options, great touch screen, hard buttons, ...

Frame is comparable (metal front) though it feels a more fragile (lighter, slim). T1/T2 would be no option for me. Last but not least 'cause of aesthetics. I personally regard the plastic frame an the shape as inferior to the X50 line. But that's my taste...

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
... Last but not least 'cause of aesthetics. I personally regard the plastic frame an the shape as inferior to the X50 line. But that's my taste...
A.
I couldn't agree more. I hate the shiny bezels on the T1 and the curved bottom. At least the shiny bezel could be covered with a skin, but that curved bottom... my feelings are "whatever possessed them" for both those "features". The T1 and T2 were a step backwards for Sony's readers IMO. Like Analogus, just my taste.