Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #121
void_warranty
void_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfoldedvoid_warranty reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Vox
Yup, you were right: it needs re-rooting after the update, of course, but it is still rootable.
void_warranty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #122
BWinmill
Nameless Being

How to force a real factory reset from Linux:

I was able to copy the files from the system.img file included on the Vox recovery partiton to the system partition on the Vox. This leaves the Vox's system software in an inconsistent state and it will throw up errors, but it thinks that it is running an older version of the system software. This means that the Vox will download the latest update the next time you use it. This update will replace the system partition with it's own image, so any modifications that you may have made will be removed. Finally, do Kobo's normal factory reset to remove your personal data.

I noticed that the cache partition is used during the update. The update downloads two files into /cache/recovery: 'command' and 'eng.CAN.20111219.094110.40397.signed.zip'. The latter is almost identical to 'recovery_backup_signed.zip', except that it includes a file called 'update' and includes a newer version of the system software. The 'update' file seems to control whether user data is maintained when the system is reimaged. The contents of the 'command' file is a single line:

--update_package=/cache/recovery/eng.CAN.20111219.094110.40397.signed.zip

Hopefully this helps people. I highly suggest backing up your Vox's internal SD card before attempting this stuff just in case something goes wrong.

Last edited by BWinmill; 01-02-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Trying to make the intructions clearer.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #123
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
You can also put a downloaded update zip in the root of the sdcard and do a factory reset to apply it.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #124
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
You can also put a downloaded update zip in the root of the sdcard and do a factory reset to apply it.
Thank-you for the suggestion, but I have been unable to get it to work.

Does it look for a particular file name?
Are you talking about /sdcard or the external SD card?
Old 01-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #125
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Thank-you for the suggestion, but I have been unable to get it to work.

Does it look for a particular file name?
Are you talking about /sdcard or the external SD card?
I know the /sdcard works, unsure of /extsd. However, the update.zip has to be for a newer version of software. So if you're already at the most current version it won't automatically apply it during a reset.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #126
COPY
COPY began at the beginning.

I have a problem with my new Kobo Vox. After reading I turned off the device. When I woke up, the power light was orange. I charged the device for 3 hours. When I turned on the device there was a continuous flashing green light. I tried a basic soft reset by holding the power button until the device went off. Also, I tried the reset button to the back but nothing happened. I then tried a factory reset by holding the ( + ) then the power button. I also removed the battery clip and reconnected it, but nothing happened. I believe the problem lies with the bootsector/bootload image. I did some research online and there were many people with this problem.

I called customer care and my issue was sent to the technical department. I received an email some days later, stating that I must hold the power button until the device goes off. I clearly stated I already performed that step before my issue was escalated, to that department. I haven't recieved any email or call, after I replied.

I just want to continue reading my books. The device was given to me as a gift. All am asking for is a way to fix this. I understood that it's not compatible with the Kobo desktop application. I can only update it using a wi-fi connection. Can you send the files I need to put on an SD card, so that the device can function. I was thinking since it's a problem with the bootload image, these files can be placed on an SD card while the device is booting up. After the device is functional, I can perform a factory reset to restore the default settings.

I love the device, even though I can't download apps from the android market. Can you help me fix this problem, I just want to continue reading my books?
COPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #127
briandking
briandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
For some these may be good news, as I have a working tun.ko! The linux kernel sources from Freescale, with patches applied, can produce a module that the Kobo Vox accepts without further problems. So at least we know we can get (nearly) everything we need for other kernels. Here it is: https://rapidshare.com/files/4125878..._tun.ko.tar.gz
If someone else could please see if it works?
I gave it a try because I'm trying to get Junos Pulse to work. My vox is running the kobo supplied Android OS 2.3.3. When I attempt to load the tun driver via insmod it fails and dmesg reports:

tun: exports duplicate symbol tun_get_socket (owned by kernel)

So it appears as if the tun driver is compiled into the kernel?
briandking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #128
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

oh! May very well be! I didn't go back to check the command line, as everything was simply working after the last update and with the old configs.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #129
briandking
briandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbriandking has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
From what we have been told they are the Vox Dev team, and a part of an Easter Egg on the Vox.
You can see the pictures in settings, about kobo vox, contributers. Some of the names are clickable.
briandking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #130
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPY View Post
I have a problem with my new Kobo Vox. After reading I turned off the device. When I woke up, the power light was orange. I charged the device for 3 hours. When I turned on the device there was a continuous flashing green light. I tried a basic soft reset by holding the power button until the device went off. Also, I tried the reset button to the back but nothing happened. I then tried a factory reset by holding the ( + ) then the power button. I also removed the battery clip and reconnected it, but nothing happened. I believe the problem lies with the bootsector/bootload image. I did some research online and there were many people with this problem.

I called customer care and my issue was sent to the technical department. I received an email some days later, stating that I must hold the power button until the device goes off. I clearly stated I already performed that step before my issue was escalated, to that department. I haven't recieved any email or call, after I replied.

I just want to continue reading my books. The device was given to me as a gift. All am asking for is a way to fix this. I understood that it's not compatible with the Kobo desktop application. I can only update it using a wi-fi connection. Can you send the files I need to put on an SD card, so that the device can function. I was thinking since it's a problem with the bootload image, these files can be placed on an SD card while the device is booting up. After the device is functional, I can perform a factory reset to restore the default settings.

I love the device, even though I can't download apps from the android market. Can you help me fix this problem, I just want to continue reading my books?

COPY, this is not the right thread for your post...this thread is for someone contributing to info about hacking the vox. Everything you are asking has been answered in several other threads that were started by others before they did a search on the vox forum for the info. For example, start by doing a search or looking at threads about troubleshooting problem issues such as in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164652
or this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164645
or in some older threads...
There is also lots of info about android market and about how to get it onto the vox or where to find alternate markets. You will find an abundance of answers if you look in past threads...
PS you can use the USB to connect with the desktop application or to format your Vox to force it to reinstall the firmware.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-10-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typos
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #131
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Thought this should be in here ----> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169942

Cheers
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #132
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Perhaps we should ask a moderator to start a whole new sticky with this thread?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169942

It really deserves to be easily available for all as the lack of access to the market is a major issue with many Vox owners.
I'm not sure who the mod for this forum is and how to contact...Can someone help?

Have figured out how to send the request... Just waiting for answer (and sticky posting)

Last edited by Cdesja5; 02-27-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #133
Pose
Pose began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
Hi jefftheworld,
I'm having trouble with my Vox, it won't update, keeps giving an error.

If someone were to send me the .zip of one of the newest updates and placed it in my sdcard, then factory reset, you're saying that it would automatically install this update?

Does anyone have one of the latest firmwares/softwares as a .zip that they can post?
Pose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #134
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Maybe

http://download.kobobooks.com/vox/update.zip

?
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #135
Pose
Pose began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Thank you, that worked and I was able to download and update, but the firmware is still the same (the build number). So I think it updated the software, but the firmware is the same. Is there a way to update this?
Pose is offline   Reply With Quote