Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Neat but I think it's a little late to the punch. I made a mistake with my last post

Last edited by The Terminator; 09-29-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Moderated my opinion
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #17
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Nevermind, nothing to see here anymore.

Last edited by taming; 09-30-2011 at 05:47 AM. Reason: I was rude to someone I consider a friend--at east in the cyber friend way
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Without a camera, I believe it will not come with access to the Android Market. There will be ways around it (like with the Nook Colour).
Old 09-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #19
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
sounds like a great idea.
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:23 AM   #20
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I know all this Facebook integration makes some sense (large/broad market), I just wish they would integrate with other networks like Goodreads or LibraryThing etc. which have a more focused audiences. I would say Shelfari too, but obviously that is an Amazon entity now so unlikely.

I'd also be curious what Android version this is due to be based on, and what degree of customisation we are due to expect. It is going to be interesting to see how Amzon handles the move forward with their Fire tablet version based on Gingerbread (2.3), I personally think straying less from the main tree such that Kobo can easily move to Icecream sandwich (android v3.x/4?) which is so close to release makes a tone of sense.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:01 AM   #21
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The German retail stores open on Saturday and three other European stores are slated for 2011.
Kobo never said they would open retail stores over here, and actually they are not doing that.

What they said they'd do is to sell their devices via an online retailer, one of the lesser-known ones, I'd say. They wanted to start selling on October 1, but emails people recently sent to that retailer revealed that there's a delay of about 5 to 6 weeks (see Kobo Deutschland on Facebook and the German forum over here). So it's more like mid-November.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #22
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Hmm, It will interesting to see if it will be part of their Sweden launch as well.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #23
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I am hoping that the details in the pulled futureshop ad are indeed incorrect. The picture looks like the Lenovo Idea Pad A-1, which does have Android Market access.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #24
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

If we assume that the pictures in the first post (from Futureshop) are not an old mock-up and indeed a picture/render of the Real Thing, and if we look at the last picture, then it's clear that the bright dot on the front is just a light, and not a camera.
And as someone else said, that would be one requirement for Android Market access, so... no.
The Lenovo IdeaPad has two cameras, front and back.

edit: The latest Compatibility Definition Document (2.3.3 Gingerbread) says that a camera is optional in general, but I could not find more specific information if and how that affects Android Market access. As far as I understand, a device without a camera but licenced for the Android Market simply won't get to see apps that require a camera, but will see everything else. Here it looks like the Android Market licence is granted individually, not automatically, and you have to apply for that license. So the question is, has the Kobo tablet good enough specs and did they apply for a license.

Conclusion: The Kobo tablet can very well have access to the Android Market despite not having a camera.

Last edited by Benjamin Buford; 09-30-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #25
taming
Trying for calm & polite

There are various articles around the net right now that talk about it as if it had Market, but the specs from the FS site says no camera. One of them has to be wrong, for sure, because Android has never broken their no camera no market rule.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #26
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Per Slashbox--Android rules also say that phone versions of Android (that is non-Honeycomb) have to have cellular radios, so if it is a tablet, and has market, it can't be 2.x.

Quote:
According to the product description – which may well not be final, according to some reports – the Vox will also include Android Market access. That would imply it was running Honeycomb (since it would not qualify for the Market if it ran a smartphone version of Android but lacked a cellular radio among other specs) though the dedicated buttons for back, menu and home would seem to contradict that.
I guess only time will tell...
Old 09-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #27
Jedibeeftrix
Jedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Nokia N9 Meego/Harmattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Per Slashbox--Android rules also say that phone versions of Android (that is non-Honeycomb) have to have cellular radios, so if it is a tablet, and has market, it can't be 2.x.
I guess only time will tell...
has someone told Lenovo with their A1?
Jedibeeftrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #28
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Confusing, isn't it.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #29
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Stupid me I thought the little light on top WAS a camera
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #30
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I'm betting that Sameer, George and the gang at Kobo are laughing as we speculate about all of this. If it goes on sale the 17th (and who knows how true that is) I wonder when it will be officially announced?