Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
NYT: Amazon Accelerates Its Move to Digital

Quote:
The Kindle electronic book reader, now four months old, is another primary cog in Amazon's digital strategy. Sales across the book publishing industry are flat; e-books represent one possible future. But the first priority for Amazon is actually getting the device into people’s hands. The company has experienced constant shortages since the Kindle went on sale in December.

"We obviously want to get it fully in stock as quickly as possible," said Mr. Freed, vice president in charge of the Kindle.

Mr. Freed said that the Kindle was first and foremost a reading device, but that it could also serve as a platform for at least some of Amazon's other digital offerings. The device can play MP3 files and audio books from Audible, the online audio book retailer that Amazon bought last month for $300 million.
Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/07/te...l?pagewanted=1

Seems Kindle is here to stay for a while.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My personal experience it that I have spent far more on MP3s from Amazon than ebooks but that could be because I have other low cost ebook sources. I also use Amazon's Unbox and find that instant download (gratification) for music, videos and books is a powerful lure.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I didn't know Amazon even sold MP3s! I don't think that Amazon UK do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I didn't know Amazon even sold MP3s! I don't think that Amazon UK do.
i didn't know that either. i'm not sure if amazon france does.

@ Tallmomof2 : what is the "unbox" ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i didn't know that either. i'm not sure if amazon france does.

@ Tallmomof2 : what is the "unbox" ?
Video downloads. I watched an entire collection of the anime Bleach on unbox.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ha ok, thanks. didn't know that. clearly there is a lot more going on at amazon than i knew about.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
ha ok, thanks. didn't know that. clearly there is a lot more going on at amazon than i knew about.
They also have a bunch of digital services like S3, Web Services, etc.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Their mp3 selection is VERY good... just about the best. And prices cheaper than iTunes! I buy just about everything through there now.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
So if I am an indie band and want to sell my mp3s on Amazon, can I do so?
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hapax legomenon - I have no idea how the MP3s work on Amazon for indie bands but personally I think it would be really neat to be able to sample and purchase tracks that way. The prices at Amazon are great especially for 256 kps sample rates and the selection is ever expanding. The biggest factor for me is NO STINKING DRM. That's why I stay away from itunes, it's easier for me to buy the CD and rip than to have to convert itunes purchases.

Unbox is a lot of fun, it's easy to download. My only qualm is that you have to use a special Unbox viewer to watch. If Amazon stops supporting Unbox I bet that any purchased shows would be unwatchable. I've had some problems with rentals but Amazon has been quick to offer solutions or a refund. The downside to Unbox is that it's only available in the US and TV is pretty much limited to NBC/Universal.

Maybe Amazon is becoming the Borg.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Unbox is a lot of fun, it's easy to download. My only qualm is that you have to use a special Unbox viewer to watch.
Unless you have a TiVo, then you can download them right to your TiVo and watch them on the "big screen".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just checked, and you can't buy MP3's from Amazon if you live outside the US .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

Heck Harry, Warner and Sony/BMG aren't letting Wal-mart sell nonDRMed MP3s here in the US. IMO, the only reason Amazon can sell nonDRMed MP3s is because the music companies don't want to see itunes completely take over the market in the US

I'm not surprised that Amazon MP3 downloads are limited to the US.

PilotBob - I don't have a TiVo but if I did Unbox would be a great companion.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just checked, and you can't buy MP3's from Amazon if you live outside the US .
There seems to be a pattern here which I have failed to either appreciate or understand. So, do people outside of the U.S. get to buy all of the usual non-digital things that we get to buy from places like Amazon (e.g., books, clothing, screwdrivers, small nuclear devices, etc.)? Seriously, are there other examples of this type of thing?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
There seems to be a pattern here which I have failed to either appreciate or understand. So, do people outside of the U.S. get to buy all of the usual non-digital things that we get to buy from places like Amazon (e.g., books, clothing, screwdrivers, small nuclear devices, etc.)? Seriously, are there other examples of this type of thing?
amazon won't let you buy any small nuclear devices from outside the US either !!! talk about the short end of the stick !!!

we do have amazon.fr but it definitely does not sell as many different things as amazon.com, and there are no digital downloads of any sort, as far as i know. we can also shop directly at amazon.com, however there are some restrictions.

however, i'm a bit worried about encouraging megalomaniacs too much and quite a few different points in the "amazon shopping experience" annoy me so i don't shop there very often. we do actually have other stores here which sell clothing and screwdrivers and such... we even have other stores which sell books !

do you really buy clothing and tools from amazon ? i really only think of them for media purchases. i didn't realize they had so many different categories.

Tags
amazon, digitalization, kindle, mp3