Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
calibre2opds Help

I feel like a dimwit. I usually can install anything and google for any answers I need. But I have been unable to even install this program, forget use it.

I want to be able to access dropbox via my iphone to have my library available.

I can't even find a download version of calibre2opds, forget installing it. I have 64-bit windows, so the windows installer doesn't work. I found an older .zip version via google for manual install but I'm supposed to rungui.cmd or somesuch and can't figure this out. No file called that. It doesn't work if I type it on the command line, even after going to the appropriate folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Talking

It has been found that the Windows installer does not seem to work on 64-bit Windows systems. For the next release a ZIP package has been put together which can be used in such systems, but I am not sure when Dave Pierron is actually releasing it.

In the meantime a possible workaround is to install on another system (the OS does not matter) and theN copy the calibre2opds install folder onto your system. There is nothing that is required on a Windows system that will not be in this folder. The online documentation gives you the command to run the GUI (without using the installer no Start Menu entries are set up).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It has been found that the Windows installer does not seem to work on 64-bit Windows systems. For the next release a ZIP package has been put together which can be used in such systems, but I am not sure when Dave Pierron is actually releasing it.

In the meantime a possible workaround is to install on another system (the OS does not matter) and theN copy the calibre2opds install folder onto your system. There is nothing that is required on a Windows system that will not be in this folder. The online documentation gives you the command to run the GUI (without using the installer no Start Menu entries are set up).
This is the only system I have.

Is there a way someone could upload the above-mentioned install folder for us 64-bit folk? Or if someone wants to email it to me, I could put it on my server for anyone else in the same situation.

Thanks,
Marcy
Old 07-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try the attached ZIP file.

This is a release candidate for the 2.3 release, so be aware that there might be some last minute tweaks in the final release that are not in this one. However it would be nice to have confirmation that it DOES fix your install issue as I do not have a 64-bit Windows system to validate this on.

The online documentation has been udpated to cover installing using the ZIP file, so please provide feedback if the instructions for it are not clear.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Calibre2opds_2.3rc1.zip (3.74 MB, 278 views)
Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Try the attached ZIP file.

This is a release candidate for the 2.3 release, so be aware that there might be some last minute tweaks in the final release that are not in this one. However it would be nice to have confirmation that it DOES fix your install issue as I do not have a 64-bit Windows system to validate this on.

The online documentation has been udpated to cover installing using the ZIP file, so please provide feedback if the instructions for it are not clear.
When I download and unzip it and then type run.cmd from the command line I get this error:

18:19:37,292 ERROR [Catalog] The Calibre database <a file named metadata.db> can not be found at null

I'm not sure where null is, so don't know where I should be looking.

-Marcy
Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

That is expected behaviour if you have not previously run the GUI to set up some parameters, To start the GUI use the rungui.cmd file. The run.cmd file is used to start a generate run without starting the GUI using previously set up parameters. This should be mentioned in the online documentation?

Last edited by itimpi; 07-22-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
That is expected behaviour if you have not previously run the GUI to set up some parameters, To start the GUI use the rungui.cmd file. The run.cmd file is used to start a generate run without starting the GUI using previously set up parameters. This should be mentioned in the online documentation?
The first type I tried rungui.cmd I got some sort of error, so I tried the run.cmd instead. However I tried rungui.cmd again and got the GUI.

Right now it's at generating the thumbnail files and is taking a long time. I expect that would be because I have close to 2000 books in my library.

But, so far, all seems okay.

Thanks so much!

-Marcy
Old 07-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard

Glad to hear it is now running

Thumbnails are only generated (and saved) if not already present, so subsequent runs should be faster unless you change the thumbnail size setting.

In terms of the time, you should see what the early test releases took! I have around 10,000 books in my library AND I run off a NAS which slows down file access so a lot of work went into removing any redundant I/O to help with performance. This produced an order of magnitude improvement but a run can still take a few hours so you can imagine what performance was like originally (and why I had an incentive to look at how it could Be improved )?

If you get an error again trying the rungui.cmd file I would be interested to know what it is to see if the cause can be tracked down and eliminated. The most obvious reason would be not having Java installed, but I am guessing that in this case that was not the cause?

Last edited by itimpi; 07-22-2010 at 01:03 AM.