Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
Aquinax
Banned
Aquinax began at the beginning.

Device: Aquinax
Can Calibre KEEP section endnotes?

... and not convert them into document endnotes? I'm asking after the experience of converting docx to epub. Thank you.
Aquinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there is no such thing as section endnotes in an ebook, the best you can hope to do is put them at the end of each HTML file (which can contain multiple sections) rather than at the end of each book.

But given that ebook readers display endnotes using popups anyway, and can directly jump to them and back, there is not much point in worrying about their location.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Aquinax
Banned

Quote:
No, there is no such thing as section endnotes in an ebook
Where does such categorical stance come from? From the majority of them are? I find it can be quite convenient (sometimes) to have endnotes at the end of a section to be able to look through them as a whole ...
Quote:
given that ebook readers display endnotes using popups
Can you advise as to which e-readers can display it - as I have a Kindle 5 which doesn't do this...
Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquinax View Post
Where does such categorical stance come from?
The fact that no e-book reader supports that.

And pretty much all modern readers show popup footnotes, including the Kindle. Make sure you are converting to AZW3 not MOBI.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:59 AM   #5
Aquinax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

And pretty much all modern readers show popup footnotes, including the Kindle. Make sure you are converting to AZW3 not MOBI.
What's exactly "the fact"? Aren't endnotes fashioned just as hyperlinks? And if you put them at a chapter's end, clicking the note reference will jump to the referenced note even if it's at the end of section?

Quote:
pretty much all modern readers show popup footnotes, including the Kindle.
I have Kindle 5 with the latest 4.1.3 version firmware, all my ebooks are .azw3 - none has ever shown a popup endnote - can anything be done that it shows?
Advert
Old 04-17-2018, 05:07 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
What's exactly "the fact"? Aren't endnotes fashioned just as hyperlinks? And if you put them at a chapter's end, clicking the note reference will jump to the referenced note even if it's at the end of section?
Read what I wrote in my last two posts, again. A little more carefully, this time.

Quote:
I have Kindle 5 with the latest 4.1.3 version firmware, all my ebooks are .azw3 - none has ever shown a popup endnote - can anything be done that it shows?
No idea, you'll have to ask Amazon. All I can tell you is that footnotes have been popping up on my Kindles for years. Amazon does use a bunch of heuristics to detect links that should be treated as footnotes, however, so there are no guarantees.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:24 AM   #7
Aquinax
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

Quote:
Read what I wrote in my last two posts, again
What's the fact? If notes are put at the end of a section, the ereader will display and render them correctly, i.e. "support" them, so what "fact" are you talking about?

Last edited by Aquinax; 04-17-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK let me spell it out for the hard of comprehension:

1. Fact: End notes can only be displayed at the end of an HTML file by all existing readers.

2. Fact: A single HTML file can contain more than one section

3. Conclusion: You cannot, in general, have end notes at the end of a section, unless you are willing to put only a single section per HTML file.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #9
Aquinax
Banned

I used Note Stripper (an Editorium add-on) - and there section is understood as part of the book for which you want separate endnotes appended to it, usually a chapter ... That's what I meant by section and section endnotes ... And what I've asked was if calibre's behaviour - enforcing all endnotes to the end of the book (and not leaving them at the end of a section) - can be made optional? You've misunderstood the meaning of 'section' ... Now that it's been cleared - CAN it (calibre's moving all section endnotes from the end of chapters to the end of the book) be made optional?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #10
Aquinax
Banned

SECTION - from MSWord terminology, part of Word document's text separated by page/ or section break whose corresponding endnotes can be handled separately, e.g. put at the end of that section.

Endnotes can be put in middle of html and they will work fine. That means ANY e-book reader can "support" endnotes in the middle or at the beginning of a chapter. Your "facts" are lies ...

How could you even understand my question as about whether endnotes can be put in the middle of html ... - incomprehensible

I must say what I think - coming from the part of the world you're coming from you're not quite clear in your head and this is the basic issue here as well as elsewhere

It's the very simple question I'm asking you for the third time - can your software not put all the chapter's endnotes at the end of ebook during conversion?

Last edited by Aquinax; 04-18-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
I must say what I think - coming from the part of the world you're coming from you're not quite clear in your head and this is the basic issue here as well as elsewhere
Thank you for that, I was just waiting for you to expose yourself as the moron racist you are. Fuck off.