Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What color-full book shall we read for February?
Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt 9 47.37%
Fadeout by Joseph Hansen 5 26.32%
The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith 8 42.11%
Passing by Nella Larsen 11 57.89%
Rainbows End: A Novel with One Foot in the Future by Vernor Vinge 7 36.84%
The Amber Fury by Natalie Haynes 4 21.05%
The Color Purple by Alice Walker 4 21.05%
The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiesen 6 31.58%
The Innocence of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton 6 31.58%
The Crimson Chalice by Victor Canning 2 10.53%
Green Island by Shawna Yang Ryan 5 26.32%
Colours (Earth Incorporated #1) by Adrian J. Walker 3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #91
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Golly! Absolutely not! Everyone is welcome to join the discussion, the more the certainly merrier. Please join in.

In fact, everyone is welcome to participate at any point in the process; nominations are welcome from all even if the person doesn't plan to vote in the poll, say. It's just that we had to pair voting with participating as too many were voting only and it seemed less than fair that those who discussed didn't get to make the final selection.
Great, thanks for the clarification.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #92
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I didn't mind people voting. What I minded was people voting for the winner and then not participating.
This is one of the problems we're addressing with the new rule.

Quote:
So how would I go about voting now when there is a chance one or more of the books could win that I know I won't read or reread?
Please, for the last time: If you vote, you've committed to read the selection. If that's too risky, don't vote. Easy! You're still welcome to join the discussion if the winner is to your taste, if that's your litmus test for participation.

One reason we're trying to keep prices down and make more allowance for library availability is the hope that people will be more willing to try something they'd prefer not to read. At least read enough of it to join the discussion with a cogent reason they didn't like it, something more than just, "It was rubbish."

Another problem we're addressing with the new rule is that it should limit negativity about the selections. Since the presumption is that everyone will read the eventual choice, it encourages politeness about all the nominations. Once the discussion starts, of course, you're free to dislike a book as much as you want.

The reality is that sometimes people will vote and then be unable to participate, whether it's life issues or because a book isn't available to them. So long as someone doesn't make it obvious that they don't like the choice, who's to know? Everyone gets a free pass to miss a discussion for life reasons; however, credibility is built up over time (and can be restored after missing a discussion) and if voting without participating is a pattern for a member, it will be addressed.

Basic courtesy covers this situation; remember the Golden Rule. Don't overthink it or draw attention to it and you'll be fine, but rudeness and flagrant violations won't be tolerated.

But, Jon, this really does have to be the end of this discussion. We've been over and over this point already.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 04:40 AM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Passing is a very good title for this book because the thing to do with is is to be passing it by for a better book.

Can we please have a good book for the next book? We've had 3 duds in a row. It's getting tiresome to be reading lousy books.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-30-2018 at 04:43 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:06 AM   #94
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Can we please have a good book for the next book? We've had 3 duds in a row. It's getting tiresome to be reading lousy books.
No one is setting out to propose "duds".
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:14 AM   #95
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Passing is a very good title for this book because the thing to do with is is to be passing it by for a better book.

And yet, when I look back over the months before that, I see that the last three months have generated considerably more discussion. Granted, a fair amount of that discussion has been your announcements that the book sucked , but still, at least these last books have been interesting, each in their own way.

I expect Passing to generate a lot of discussion. There is so much ambiguity in this text that I doubt whether any two people will see it the same way. On the plus side, it was short: novella rather than novel, so that should have made you happy.

Having said all that, I think it would be better if the next book came from a different era - something more modern would make a pleasant change, I think. But we'll see what comes up.

Last edited by gmw; 01-30-2018 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Typo ("And" not "Any").
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 07:25 AM   #96
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:

Knock it off, Jon. The Guidelines mandate being civil about nominations and selections until the discussion thread, when you're free to express your opinion. Any similar comments from you about the current selection or in the future will be deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

Having said all that, I think it would be better if the next book came from a different era - something more modern would make a pleasant change, I think. But we'll see what comes up.
I'd like to see a more current selection myself, for similar reasons. I don't have an issue with older works myself, but I know they're not to the taste of some members.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I agree that it would be a pleasant change.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote