Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
Patarch21
Patarch21 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Pocketbook 360 problem with ADE drm'd epub files

Hi,

I hae had a pocketbook 360 for a week now and I ahve tried everything to get ADE drm'd epub files working on my pB.

I have the firmware update W101.14.2 and my device is aithorized correctly with ADE on my computer. The books transfer to the device, but then when I open them with Adove viewer, I get the meassage that hey are either damaged or protected. I have tried two different ebooks from different suppliers and both suppliers have also been generous and sent me fresh copies of the ebooks, but nothing seems to allow the pb to read the files.

If it helps I purchased the pb360 in Moscow, however I don't think this should have any baring since I downloaded the latest firmware from the PB american website.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem without going down the route of taking of the DRM protection?
Patarch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
mishaikin
mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
You should try to hold the OK button over the book and choose "Open with" -> "adobeviewer" instead of fbreader. I had the same problem the first time trying to open a drm-ed book. By the way some bugs in adobeviewer have been fixed in the 15.1 firmware (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76847)
mishaikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Patarch21

It automatically opens with adobeviewer, but i get the message that the book is either damaged or protected.

Kind of stupid really, becuase i already know that it is protected.

Will try the firmware update, hopefully that will sort it, otherwise I have no other ideas.

Will keep the readers posted on the results
Old 03-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Patarch21

I have tried updating the firmware and the ebooks still do not open with adobeviewer, even when i try reauthorizing the device to the ADE software.

Anyone know what the problem is with these ADE ebooks?
Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarch21 View Post
I have tried updating the firmware and the ebooks still do not open with adobeviewer, even when i try reauthorizing the device to the ADE software.

Anyone know what the problem is with these ADE ebooks?
Are you doing these all with the same Adobe ID? Are you using more than one PC to purchase stuff with.

It's hare to say without more info. Let's start here:

Can you read these books on the PC you used to buy/download them on?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Patarch21

Hi,

I am using one Adobe ID, and I can read the files on the ADE software on the computer.

The files transfer fine through ADE to the pb360 and then I hold down the 'OK' key and open with adover viewer.

The message i get is "Cannot open book. Perhaps the file is damaged or protected".

I have now he firmware 15.1

The books were purchased through booksonboard and a1books. They both have checked their files and they say that there is nothing wrong with the files there end. They suggest that it is either a hardware or software fault on the pb.

Any ideas what is happening?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Patarch21

For those of you that might have ways of helping this problem but are not used to the pb. Adobeviewer is the program on the device that allows you to read drm-epub books.

Well supposedly anyway!! this is part of the problem I cannot get it to work with the ebooks i have
Old 03-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi,

I am using one Adobe ID, and I can read the files on the ADE software on the computer.

The files transfer fine through ADE to the pb360 and then I hold down the 'OK' key and open with adover viewer.

The message i get is "Cannot open book. Perhaps the file is damaged or protected".

I have now he firmware 15.1

The books were purchased through booksonboard and a1books. They both have checked their files and they say that there is nothing wrong with the files there end. They suggest that it is either a hardware or software fault on the pb.

Any ideas what is happening?
Does the PB show in ADE when you connect it?

Have you authorized the PB to your Adobe Account?

If not, you need to do that. I think there is something on the menu or right click button... or perhaps the Ctrl-E keystroke does it.

BOb
Old 03-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Patarch21

Hi bob

Yes the pb shows in ADE and the device is definitely authorized. Well according to ADE it is.

It seems that somewhere between copying it and opening it, that something happens to the file.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi bob

Yes the pb shows in ADE and the device is definitely authorized. Well according to ADE it is.

It seems that somewhere between copying it and opening it, that something happens to the file.
Hmm... sorry I don't know the PB specifically.. I'm sure someone will just in here and help.

Is there more than one app to view ePubs with? Your not trying to use FBReader right? (oh, I see you answered this.)

BOb
Old 03-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
This is the problem with DRM. Here you are, a legitimate paying customer getting a ton of grief for being good enough to pay for your books. Someone downloading a pirated copy would have no problems.

That being said you should probably just strip the DRM so you can read them in FBreader which displays far superior to ADE anyway. Try a websearch on darkreverser and you can probably find some help.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
Patarch21

I am really looking for a solution that does not require stripping the drm. But thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 AM   #13
mishaikin
mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Now I remember that once I authorized the micro-SD card instead of the Pocketbook itself, transferred the book to the card and then adobeviewer couldn't open it (the same message you had). It is strange but ADE shows me both the card and the Pocketbook as devices. One is called Pocketbook101 and the other Pocket101.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:59 AM   #14
Patarch21

Hmm the problem is that i am not using and sd card, just the device. Was your problem with the device or with the sd card?
Old 03-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #15
mishaikin

I had the problem with the micro-SD ... but anyway, did you installed the 15.1 firmware and did you go via "open with"? Adobeviewer is not the default reader for epub files.
By the way firmware 14.2 from the Ukrainian site does not have "open with" option, so no drm epubs could be opened with it.
Another idea - maybe you could try de-authorizing the device and then re-authorizing it again. Between the two actions I would delete all ADE related files in the internal memory (including the hidden files). Then you copy your book back to the device.