Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2018, 03:04 AM   #181
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Ifyoudon'twanttocountthespacesthenIwon'ttypethespa cesDoesthatworkforyou?
Butofcourse.Ilivetoserve.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:21 PM   #182
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I assume, since I have read nothing, that the new device is not waterproof?
Waterproofing is the one feature that could convince me to abandon my Aura in favor of a new 6" device.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #183
bagpiper1
Banned
bagpiper1 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura edition 2 and Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickTC View Post
What a disappointment. I might order an Aura ONE Limited Edition now, and give my Glo HD to my wife - she's still reading on the original Glo.

I was really hoping for something other than a too-large same-old same-old device, but there sure won't be any reason to buy this unless the Glo HD breaks...

BOR-ing!
I have a Kobo Aura ONE and I am very pleased with it. The Kobo Clara HD is another 6-inch ereader, but unlike Kobo’s current 6 inch model it has a Comfortlight Pro to adjust the frontlight color. I also assume that it has a 300 ppi E Ink which is better than the current 6 inch model, I think.

Also, 'BOR-ing' ? I did not realize eReaders were supposed to be exciting. In fact if the actual eReader device, itself, not the book, is boring then it is doing it's job. When was the last time you looked at the physical design of a paperback or hardback book and said : "Wow, that is one exciting looking dead tree paper design !" ?

Also, it has more storage than the current 6 inch model -- it is up to 8GB. Other specs I dunno. Anyway, it seems to me they might try to sell this thing in Walmart so it probably won't be too expensive. I don't understand the Walmart strategy, myself, reading books is more of a middle class activity and while there are different classes that shop at walmart - walmart strikes me as trashy altogether. This is not what I think of when I think of the clientele of eReader (yeah, this is a real example but using it to represent everyone who shops at walmart is tongue-in-cheek hyperbole) :

bagpiper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #184
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Sense when is being fit trashy?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:07 PM   #185
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Walmart's strategic partnership with Kobo isn't about their brick-and-mortar business; it's about shoring up their ecommerce business so that they can compete against Amazon. They want a digital content ecosystem to rival Amazon's in the book arena, and so asked Kobo to get into the audiobook business (Amazon owns Audible); Kobo stepped up to the plate and now can offer the same thing Amazon does: downloadable books in both text and audio form. Yes, Walmart will sell ereaders in stores, I'm sure, but they're more interested with this partnership in selling them online -- and following up by selling content to go with the devices (and selling content to Kobo iOS and Android apps).

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 05-24-2018 at 09:17 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2018, 12:03 AM   #186
JeanOlivier
JeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper1 View Post
Anyway, it seems to me they might try to sell this thing in Walmart so it probably won't be too expensive. I don't understand the Walmart strategy, myself, reading books is more of a middle class activity and while there are different classes that shop at walmart - walmart strikes me as trashy altogether. This is not what I think of when I think of the clientele of eReader.
That part is pure prejudice.

Poor ≠ Uneducated
Shopping at Walmart ≠ Being poor

They already sell Kobos in Walmarts in Canada and it was quite popular too last Christmas.

Last edited by JeanOlivier; 05-25-2018 at 12:06 AM.
JeanOlivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #187
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanOlivier View Post

Poor ≠ Uneducated

They already sell Kobos in Walmarts in Canada and it was quite popular too last Christmas.
I didn't know that. A quick look at the Walmart Canada site shows they sell the Aura 2 (for $129) and the Aura H2O 2 (for $199). I wonder if that will be the basic lineup in the United States (maybe the Clara HD instead of the Aura 2)?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #188
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper1 View Post
I don't understand the Walmart strategy, myself, reading books is more of a middle class activity and while there are different classes that shop at walmart - walmart strikes me as trashy altogether. This is not what I think of when I think of the clientele of eReader...
Quote:

Poor ≠ Uneducated
The hippie in me wants to agree with Jean Olivier. But personal experience has taught me that bagpiper is right, broadly speaking.

I live in a fancy, high-end neighborhood. The only place I ever feel the need to lock my car doors is when I go to Walmart.

I do understand the Walmart deal from Kobo's end. You have to go where the people are. Walmart is a very large chain that all manner of people go to. And since Walmart wants so badly to compete with Amazon, they are likely to be more supportive of Kobo.

I do hope it is a success. I try to avoid Walmart like the plague, but I will be checking out the Kobos when they arrive and will likely buy my next one from them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #189
JeanOlivier
JeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of lightJeanOlivier is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The hippie in me wants to agree with Jean Olivier. But personal experience has taught me that bagpiper is right, broadly speaking.

I live in a fancy, high-end neighborhood. The only place I ever feel the need to lock my car doors is when I go to Walmart.

I do understand the Walmart deal from Kobo's end. You have to go where the people are. Walmart is a very large chain that all manner of people go to. And since Walmart wants so badly to compete with Amazon, they are likely to be more supportive of Kobo.

I do hope it is a success. I try to avoid Walmart like the plague, but I will be checking out the Kobos when they arrive and will likely buy my next one from them.
Maybe it's a US thing? I've never heard of Wallmart being associated that much with sketchyness in Canada. Cheap stuff that break quick, yes; but not sketchyness.

Last edited by JeanOlivier; 05-25-2018 at 09:59 PM.
JeanOlivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #190
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hmmm... the only time I had someone attempt to break into my car was at the Oakridge Centre which is the pretentious mall in this area. Admittedly, I lock my car doors no matter where I park, never leave anything visible in the car, etc.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:28 AM   #191
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
I just hope it translates into people buying more books, and less guns!
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #192
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Poor ≠ Uneducated
Poor people can attend public school. Or does imply that public schooling leaves its students uneducated?
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:40 PM   #193
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
37 hours, 20 minutes
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #194
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
If the new model is waterproof, I'll buy it. I recently bought a used kobo mini and I really like the firmware that I installed. I had a glo several years back and had problem after problem with freezing and constantly having to pinhole reset. The mini is great.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #195
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If the rumored price of $129 US is correct, I doubt very much that it would be waterproof at that price.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-27-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote