Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #91
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I started Curon yesterday. An Italian mystery/paranormal series. Also bleak, it reminds me of the French series Zone Blanche/Black Spot. Both are on Netflix.

I've also watched another episode of Ozark.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:36 AM   #92
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I started Curon yesterday. An Italian mystery/paranormal series. Also bleak, it reminds me of the French series Zone Blanche/Black Spot. Both are on Netflix.

I've also watched another episode of Ozark.
Amazon had Black Spot a year or 2 ago - it looked good and I put it on my watchlist but when I got to it it was already gone.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #93
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Amazon had Black Spot a year or 2 ago - it looked good and I put it on my watchlist but when I got to it it was already gone.
It's still on the Dutch Netflix. Curon was good, but I liked Black Spot better.

Tonight I started with Miss Scarlet and the Duke. It's entertaining but nothing special. Not a lot of the Duke in the first couple of episodes.

According to my summer watching plan I should continue with NCIS, but I'm not in the mood for it and there are too many new things I want to watch.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:50 AM   #94
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Saw the first episode of a thing called 'The Blacklist'. Was okay, if not exactly immediately gripping. It is on my streaming service, so may give it a whirl. There are apparently a few series of this, so if it turns out okay, plenty to go at!
Strange to see James Spader with an almost shaved head, as the last thing I remember him in was the film of 'Stargate' where he had long hair!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:03 AM   #95
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebug View Post
Saw the first episode of a thing called 'The Blacklist'. Was okay, if not exactly immediately gripping. It is on my streaming service, so may give it a whirl. There are apparently a few series of this, so if it turns out okay, plenty to go at!
Strange to see James Spader with an almost shaved head, as the last thing I remember him in was the film of 'Stargate' where he had long hair!
Spader was terrific but unfortunately the rest of the cast was awful. They tried to milk the big "mystery" about Red's interest in Liz long LONG past its sell-by. I'd recommend watching the first season just for Spader, and a handful of the episodes were really good. After that I wouldn't waste any more time on it, though I stayed with it until the spinoff hoping they would offload the dead weight (mainly Liz) but when that didn't happen I gave up on it.
Advert
Old 07-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #96
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

I tried Sam Esmail's Mr. Robot and quickly ditched it - IMO it was embarrassingly pretentious and pandered to every PC meme to tick as many boxes as possible for Emmy consideration. So I had low expectations for his new show Briarpatch. Surprisingly, Briarpatch is a borderline great show which I'm almost tempted to put in the same class as Fargo. The story is good and the cast of relative unknowns is well-balanced. It's serious but quirky with a nice dollop of dark humor and never takes itself too seriously. There's a bit of PC nonsense but not nearly as in-your-face as Mr. Robot. The main character is a flawed but strong and fearless woman determined to solve her sister's murder in a town where no one can be trusted. Even the music is well done with a frivolous song fragment or thumpy bass line to accent many scenes.

Amazon now has S2 of Great Greek Myths, a season-long retelling of The Iliad which I'm greatly enjoying. Hopefully there will be a S3 for The Odyssey.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #97
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Not much. I turned my TV off a month ago and haven't turned it back on since. My viewing then switched to Curiosity Stream, news, and various YouTube videos from my laptop.

It was an experiment on my part to see how I could handle going without my TV for a month. I easily passed the test and never felt withdrawal pangs during that time.

Now that I'm free to turn my TV back on, I really don't feel a need to do so. Although, the videos I currently watch would definitely improve from a large screen platform.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:09 AM   #98
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I posted earlier that I am working through every series of NCIS; during the current run that I am watching, the team visited New Orleans and met the team
that operate there. So I checked out NCIS:New Orleans and am now watching both series in tandem!
And I am persevering with 'The Blacklist' for now, it has a certain fascination for me, although not exactly 'gripping me'. It passes to long Corona ridden evenings/nights!
Old 07-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #99
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Recently one of my PBS station's subchannels has been rerunning shows like "Penelope Keith's Coastal Villages" and "Vintage Roads Great and Small". I find these provide good relief from modern problems

I used to watch programs like "Washington Week" and a similar state-level program. These days I can't stand much news-related programming beyond keeping up with the headlines.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #100
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I finished Miss Scarlet and the Duke earlier this week. And if there are more seasons I won't be watching them. It's okay, but it feels like I've seen this type of story too often.

Tonight I finished the first (and last?) season of Belgravia, which I enjoyed. I think it's made by same people who made Downton Abbey.

I also watched the first episode of Briarpatch, which is different. I like it, I think.

Last Saturday my sister and I watched Hamilton and I must admit I'm somewhat obsessed. The casting was spot on, the songs are great and the set design is fitting.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:53 AM   #101
timebug
Ancient Sage

Found an old favourite on my streaming service 'Bewitched' with the lovely Elizabeth Montgomery! So I have added that to my current watchlist. Only mildly amusing at best, but brings back memories of a much younger me watching it!
Old 08-17-2020, 04:01 AM   #102
guanaco
Recovering reader
guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guanaco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
A Korean Odyssey

A nice fantasy k-drama on Netflix.
guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:34 AM   #103
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Forest of Secrets 2 (the literal translation so much more meaningful than Netflix's "Stranger") - Bae Doona and Jo Seung Woo picking up right where they left off at the end of the first season in one of the best Korean Dramas of the last few years.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:06 AM   #104
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Umbrella Academy (Series 2). I enjoyed the first series and this is similar.

Spoiler:
But, the time travel aspect, as always, makes it difficult to follow!

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 08-17-2020 at 06:31 AM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #105
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Spader was terrific but unfortunately the rest of the cast was awful. They tried to milk the big "mystery" about Red's interest in Liz long LONG past its sell-by. I'd recommend watching the first season just for Spader, and a handful of the episodes were really good. After that I wouldn't waste any more time on it, though I stayed with it until the spinoff hoping they would offload the dead weight (mainly Liz) but when that didn't happen I gave up on it.
I like The Blacklist, but I agree with you to a certain extent, I am far less interested in the "soap opera" aspects of it than in the stand alone stories. It was far better when each episode was a single black-lister's story with minimal input to the "big story".
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote