Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #31
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Bug report: Once mylcd is run, even if I kill mylcd, screensaver will not get activated (even by power button!). I see lipc is being used. So after using mylcd, I alway have to manually do:

lipc-set-prop -i com.lab126.powerd preventScreenSaver 0

so that my Kindle can go to sleep.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #32
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahte View Post
https://github.com/nahtethan/dxg-display

- Still Building.
- Contributor and suggestion are welcome.
- Displaylink's Linux udlfb module is used in PC side, so I think some senior here already knew it is required to write a usb gadget driver for dxg, right?
Here to help to get this going...

Last edited by thatworkshop; 09-03-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I am not sure if collaborate translates.
Hmm...
合作
Includes "conspire" so not very exact.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:58 AM   #34
nahte
Enthusiast
nahte began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

- Still Building.
- Contributor and suggestion are welcome.
- Displaylink's Linux udlfb module is used in PC side, so I think some senior here already knew it is required to write a usb gadget driver for dxg, right?
My gadget code is based on linux-2.6.22-lab126, which is kindle dxg's kernel. The directory path here is kept same as to linux-2.6.22-lab126, which can be downloaded from https://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kind...5370010.tar.gz

The android gadget driver is pretty cool for usb, so the first step is porting android gadget driver.
nahte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #35
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
My gadget code is based on linux-2.6.22-lab126, which is kindle dxg's kernel. The directory path here is kept same as to linux-2.6.22-lab126, which can be downloaded from https://kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kind...5370010.tar.gz

The android gadget driver is pretty cool for usb, so the first step is porting android gadget driver.
Happy 10th post!
I told you GitHub is awesome and GitHub Desktop is super easy.

Let's compile and include a binary too.

Speaking of compiling, "Not clear how to compile a Linux module like udlfb?" you are not sure how to compile the so-called mylcd or a linux module?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 09-09-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Advert
Old 09-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #36
nahte
Enthusiast

Install binaries and steps is ok.

I guess everybody just want to take a try of the binaries, go github to download and try!

Old 09-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #37
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I happened to notice this snippet:
Code:
/*
 * DisplayLink HW has separate 16bpp and 8bpp framebuffers.
 * In 24bpp modes, the low 323 RGB bits go in the 8bpp framebuffer
 */
Since the e-ink devices are grayscale, you would probably get a much nicer display if you dithered 888 to 323 encoding rather than a simple truncate.

For inspiration:
Geekmaster posted some very fast dither code here (un-maintained).
And KOReader uses dither code.

Q?:
Does the DXG even have 8bpp frame buffer?
Or is it one of the Kindle 4bpp frame buffers, with tricky packing to 1 byte per pixel?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #38
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
IIRC, FW 2.x means 4bpp, yeah.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #39
thatworkshop
hub

@nahte: Have you changed the way this mylcd works as compared to previous mylcd (trial)?

Yes, only 4bpp on DX(G).

Indeed, using geekmaster's video player stuff in mylcd would be fun.

Thanks @nahte. I preferred the way previous (trial) version worked a bit more, as now usbnetworking is disabled while running mylcd and g_android.ko is loaded.

In Kindle, module arcotg_udc depends on g_ether, we shouldn't be worried about it?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 09-15-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #40
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
IIRC, FW 2.x means 4bpp, yeah.
IIRC Geekmaster had his dither routines conditionalized to handle all of the strange bit packings used by the various Kindle models.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #41
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
I guess everybody just want to take a try of the binaries, go github to download and try!

I think the way previous mylcd worked was kind of better, because the usbnet connection didn't need to disconnect for g_android to be loaded. It's a neater solution for some people like me who always use their devices in USBnet mode.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:09 PM   #42
nahte
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Geekmaster posted some very fast dither code here (un-maintained).

Q?:
Does the DXG even have 8bpp frame buffer?
Or is it one of the Kindle 4bpp frame buffers, with tricky packing to 1 byte per pixel?
Where is link of Geekmaster's dither code? Actually I use some algorithm to transfer displaylink's 16bpp data to dxg's 4bpp fb, And I only use 2 grayscale levels of the dxg 16 levels: pure white and pure black. That will give dxg fantastic reading experience when display text material. It will be cool to modify displaylink's code to transfer only 4bpp or less data, which will speed up the transfer.

BTW, did you guys try my binaries? It work well or not?
Old 09-15-2015, 11:21 PM   #43
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Where is link of Geekmaster's dither code? Actually I use some algorithm to transfer displaylink's 16bpp data to dxg's 4bpp fb, And I only use 2 grayscale levels of the dxg 16 levels: pure white and pure black. That will give dxg fantastic reading experience when display text material. It will be cool to modify displaylink's code to transfer only 4bpp or less data, which will speed up the transfer.

BTW, did you guys try my binaries? It work well or not?
Here for a starters:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175632
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177455

I tried it, as I mentioned earlier, there is a change in mechanism between this and the previous trial version?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 09-15-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:38 PM   #44
nahte
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
I tried it, as I mentioned earlier, there is a change in mechanism between this and the previous trial version?
So the binary works, right? This mylcd 2.0 is much better:
- the mechanism provides copy and extend display mode
- speed will be faster cos displaylink is driver level
- this support linux, everybody like linux, right?

I have a question too, how to trigger dxg in kernel/driver to fresh the screen when framebuffer's data has change?
Old 09-16-2015, 01:27 AM   #45
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
So the binary works, right? This mylcd 2.0 is much better:
- the mechanism provides copy and extend display mode
- speed will be faster cos displaylink is driver level
- this support linux, everybody like linux, right?

I have a question too, how to trigger dxg in kernel/driver to fresh the screen when framebuffer's data has change?
It doesn't work on my DXG. In fact, it makes it instantly reboot!

I'd say let's go back to how v1 was working (without rmmod g_ether and ...) and use dithermation to speed up instead. ?