Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 06:06 AM   #1
dante11
dante11 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
looking for ereader

hi everyone! i am looking for a e reader-i am not fussy about brand or size so much-i have a learning disability, and as such a i have a couple of very specific needs from it....and i am new enough to being on line that i know i need some help with this.....
ok-first-i need it to show the book covers-even in the archived books, instead of listing titles. and second i need a button to turn pages-i could even make due with a ''enter'' type on the bottom of the screen-i just can't ''swipe''.
most of my books are in my files-i use a chromebook now-any type of aa e reader app doesn't connect to google drive-so if i need to powerwash it-i lose all the books i loaded to it.
i use a chromebook because they are easier for me to use. i have only been brave enough to try being online for a few years-i was too scared to try before...wasn't sure i could actually do it!
ok-so any help you can give me-i would really appreciate!
thanks everyone!
dante11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
You can try to install Calibre on your Chromebook.

https://chromeunboxed.com/how-to-ins...-a-chromebook/

The problem comes that to get the most out of a Kobo Libra H2O (which is what I recommend), you will want to run Calibre to manage your eBooks. But one thing, you'll have to forget using cloud storage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can try to install Calibre on your Chromebook.

https://chromeunboxed.com/how-to-ins...-a-chromebook/

The problem comes that to get the most out of a Kobo Libra H2O (which is what I recommend), you will want to run Calibre to manage your eBooks. But one thing, you'll have to forget using cloud storage.
Of course, the Kobo H2O doesn't have buttons, either, which is also listed as a must-have.

The Kobo Libra and Forma both have buttons, as does the Kindle Oasis. None of these will easily access your google drive, though. The Pocketbook models have buttons, but unfortunately also do not have a built-in way to access google drive. The Onyx models are Android based, so should have an easy way to access Google drive, and I believe that at least some (or maybe all) of them have buttons.

You don't say where you are located, but if you are in the US, anything but the Kobos or Kindle will be harder to get (not impossible, but more difficult). If you are in the US, there is also the Nook, which has buttons, but no access to google drive.

All of these will show book covers.

Hope this helps!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Of course, the Kobo H2O doesn't have buttons, either, which is also listed as a must-have.

The Kobo Libra and Forma both have buttons, as does the Kindle Oasis. None of these will easily access your google drive, though. The Pocketbook models have buttons, but unfortunately also do not have a built-in way to access google drive. The Onyx models are Android based, so should have an easy way to access Google drive, and I believe that at least some (or maybe all) of them have buttons.

You don't say where you are located, but if you are in the US, anything but the Kobos or Kindle will be harder to get (not impossible, but more difficult). If you are in the US, there is also the Nook, which has buttons, but no access to google drive.

All of these will show book covers.

Hope this helps!

Shari
I'm not suggesting the Aura H2O. I'm suggesting the Kobo Libra H2O. That's the one with the buttons. The OP says buttons are a must have.

Kobo and Kindle also don't go Google Drive. Neither does Calibre. That's why eBooks stored on Google drive would have to be copied off and stored locally. The Calibre library could be stored on an external hard drive or USB memory stick.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not suggesting the Aura H2O. I'm suggesting the Kobo Libra H2O. That's the one with the buttons. The OP says buttons are a must have.

Kobo and Kindle also don't go Google Drive. Neither does Calibre. That's why eBooks stored on Google drive would have to be copied off and stored locally. The Calibre library could be stored on an external hard drive or USB memory stick.
Sorry Jon, you're right--I did miss the word "libra" from your reply. I did, however, point out in my post the fact that neither the Kobo nor the Kindle could access google drive.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:47 AM   #6
fathead
fathead began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2
The Pocketbook Touch HD3 (6inch screen) and Pocketbook Inkpad 3 (8inch screen) have Dropbox integration; it should be fairly easy to transfer books from Google Drive to Dropbox and thus to your device. It might seem a bit of a faff but would probably get easier and faster the more often you do it.

Both of these devices also have physical, multi-function buttons.

Kobo Forma also has Dropbox integration, 8 Inch screen and page turn buttons.

I've had a Pocketbook Touch HD 3 for a few months and like it a lot; its very light and comfortable to hold, the screen is gorgeous and the software competent. I also have Kobos and find the devices are sturdy and the software very smooth and intuitive.
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
The Pocketbook Touch HD3 (6inch screen) and Pocketbook Inkpad 3 (8inch screen) have Dropbox integration; it should be fairly easy to transfer books from Google Drive to Dropbox and thus to your device. It might seem a bit of a faff but would probably get easier and faster the more often you do it.

I've had a Pocketbook Touch HD 3 for a few months and like it a lot; its very light and comfortable to hold, the screen is gorgeous and the software competent. I also have Kobos and find the devices are sturdy and the software very smooth and intuitive.
Not a good idea. Kobo is most recommended and that works best with Calibre. Sure you can do Dropbox with a Kobo Forma, but you lose collections and series.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
I have to make some guesses here. I'm assuming your books are ePub, because you are able to read them on your Chromebook. Also, I assume you are in the US.

If those are true, the Nook Glowlight 3, Nook Glowlight Plus, the Kobo Libra H2O and the Kobo Forma all have page turn buttons, handle ePub and are easily available in the US. They will all show you book covers as long as your books are formatted correctly.

For each reader I included links to a store selling them so you can research and see pictures.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
dante11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have to make some guesses here. I'm assuming your books are ePub, because you are able to read them on your Chromebook. Also, I assume you are in the US.

If those are true, the Nook Glowlight 3, Nook Glowlight Plus, the Kobo Libra H2O and the Kobo Forma all have page turn buttons, handle ePub and are easily available in the US. They will all show you book covers as long as your books are formatted correctly.

For each reader I included links to a store selling them so you can research and see pictures.
now-when i say show the book covers-i want to see all of them-not one at a time-even the archived ones ...these e readers do this?
Old 07-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #10
dante11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post

do these ones show all the book covers in the library?
Old 07-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante11 View Post
now-when i say show the book covers-i want to see all of them-not one at a time-even the archived ones ...these e readers do this?
Honestly, I don't understand what you are saying or what is meant by 'even the archived ones.' The whole point of archiving something is to hide it or remove it from your reader.

Anyway, here is an image of my Kobo and my Nook displaying books in the library. Notice both have a '1 of XXX' at the bottom as they can only display so many covers at a time and have them large enough to be seen.

The Nook and Kobo I own are different than the ones I recommended to you. Mine don't have buttons. But the software is the same, so if you owned one it would look about the same.

On each of these readers, there is a home page that shows different things. If you want to see all your covers, you go to My Books or My Library. Each also has an option NOT to display the cover, as some people only want a list of titles and authors. Clearly you wouldn't use that.

On each, if you hold down on a cover, a window will pop up to give a synopsis of the book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo and Nook.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	180721  

Last edited by ZodWallop; 07-17-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #12
fathead
fathead began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2
ZodWallop has answered your question much better and faster than I could - and with pictures too! Pocketbook is much the same.

If you're considering a Kobo, I suggest you check out KoboCloud, a nifty, free program to connect your ereader to Google Drive, or other cloud storage. You can find more info over in the Kobo Developer's Corner.
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:33 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Honestly, I don't understand what you are saying or what is meant by 'even the archived ones.' The whole point of archiving something is to hide it or remove it from your reader.
Kobo does allow you to archive purchased books so that they are not on the device. There are three states:
  • Purchased and synced to the device. This has the cover, the metadata and the book can be opened.
  • Purchased but not synced to the device. This has the cover, the metadata but the book has to be downloaded before you can read it.
  • Archived. There are no details about the book on the device. You have to visit the library in the store via a browser to restore them.

I don't know if @dante11 was thinking of the second or third state when referring the "archived ones". But, I consider the above a good way to handle things.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo does allow you to archive purchased books so that they are not on the device. There are three states:
  • Purchased and synced to the device. This has the cover, the metadata and the book can be opened.
  • Purchased but not synced to the device. This has the cover, the metadata but the book has to be downloaded before you can read it.
  • Archived. There are no details about the book on the device. You have to visit the library in the store via a browser to restore them.

I don't know if @dante11 was thinking of the second or third state when referring the "archived ones". But, I consider the above a good way to handle things.
Thanks, but I do understand archiving as you described it. I don't understand what was meant by:
Quote:
when i say show the book covers-i want to see all of them-not one at a time-even the archived ones
If you want to see the covers, don't archive them.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #15
dante11

Quote:

Anyway, here is an image of my Kobo and my Nook displaying books in the library. Notice both have a '1 of XXX' at the bottom as they can only display so many covers at a time and have them large enough to be seen.

The Nook and Kobo I own are different than the ones I recommended to you. Mine don't have buttons. But the software is the same, so if you owned one it would look about the same.

On each of these readers, there is a home page that shows different things. If you want to see all your covers, you go to My Books or My Library. Each also has an option NOT to display the cover, as some people only want a list of titles and authors. Clearly you wouldn't use that.

On each, if you hold down on a cover, a window will pop up to give a synopsis of the book.
archive wasn't the correct word i guess! i want all the covers in my library to show as i sort thru them....this is how i remember books-not thru titles, and if i can't see them-forget it.....it can get very confusing for me and frustrating!
if the e reader had something like the 'submit reply' at the bottom of this page in order to turn pages-that would be ok, too. it just has to be something definitive and specific-not a general 'swipe' or movement
(i think i mentioned i got a tablet, and i swiped the app for amazon right off the screen...it just slid, all the way across the screen and disappeared! i couldn't figure out how to get it back-and no one i was with at the time knew how to do it! so that ended tablets for me!)
i know it is a pain in the butt with my need for such specific things-i had actually started to write this request 2 other times but chickened out--because i felt stupid for needing these things.