Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
New Kindle not under devices

Sorry folks, I was wrong. I made a mistake, nothing has changed. Admins, please feel free to change thread title or something.So, I bought the lovely sage PW for my other half's birthday. One of the things that always makes buying a new Kindle a smooth process is being able to view the device under "My Content and Devices" (an area of the site that is becoming increasingly more difficult to find with every passing day, but that's another story).

This Kindle has been delivered to my house but there is nothing under MCaD. I can see the S/N on the order, and did not select gift, so I imagine this is a new thing, where they do not register the Kindle unless it is triggered from the Kindle in question. Has anyone else noticed this?

The website has been really dumbed down recently, with a lot less info etc. in MCaD, so maybe it is a mistake by amazon? I tried on both my iPad and computer.

I can contact CS and ask them to add it to my devices, it's not a very big deal, but it's a little disappointing. All I wanted to do was load some books on it for my other half and unsubscribe from special offers before I hand it over.

The website has been so dumbed down that I can't even add a new kindle if I have the serial number! Hmmmf.

Last edited by Pjama; 07-16-2020 at 08:41 AM. Reason: I was wrong
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You can't put books from your account on the Kindle, that is going to be registered to another account.

The only way it will show at Content & Devices on your Amazon account if it the devices is registered to your account.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is meant to be on my account. We share an account. Sorry, I thought that was obvious when I said we are at the same address. It is basically the same as me ordering another one for myself.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Every kindle that I've bought new from amazon came preregistered, which I guess is your experience. Maybe they have stopped that, or there was some glitch. However, when I have done a jailbreak, I have to re-register.

If you are willing to let it connect to wifi, you can configure wifi on it, then register it by going to "My Account" in Settings and enter the email address tied to your amazon account and your amazon account password. If your account is tied to a phone number, you might be able to enter that instead of email address.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
It is meant to be on my account. We share an account. Sorry, I thought that was obvious when I said we are at the same address. It is basically the same as me ordering another one for myself.
Your first post was clear.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #6
Pjama
Guru

Looks like it is an (awful) new policy, as I just received this in an email.

Such a small pleasure, to be able to remove the ads and put a couple of new books on in time for his birthday (without opening the package), gone.

I suppose it’s a piracy thing? Could it be in direct response to a post on here about trying to change a serial number? No, that is paranoia. Still, it’s the end of a little era.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F20CBAA-7C31-447F-BDA3-C840DBD1A294.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	180650  
Old 07-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
So, I bought the lovely sage PW for my other half's birthday. One of the things that always makes buying a new Kindle a smooth process is being able to view the device under "My Content and Devices" (an area of the site that is becoming increasingly more difficult to find with every passing day, but that's another story).

This Kindle has been delivered to my house but there is nothing under MCaD. I can see the S/N on the order, and did not select gift, so I imagine this is a new thing, where they do not register the Kindle unless it is triggered from the Kindle in question. Has anyone else noticed this?

The website has been really dumbed down recently, with a lot less info etc. in MCaD, so maybe it is a mistake by amazon? I tried on both my iPad and computer.

I can contact CS and ask them to add it to my devices, it's not a very big deal, but it's a little disappointing. All I wanted to do was load some books on it for my other half and unsubscribe from special offers before I hand it over.

The website has been so dumbed down that I can't even add a new kindle if I have the serial number! Hmmmf.
It is not registered to your account unless you choose that option at time of purchase otherwise you have to do it manually.

I have the blue one. I think the colors make the device look more classy. I would love to have the sage. it will be pretty if they add the orange glow to the paperwhite
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #8
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Looks like it is an (awful) new policy, as I just received this in an email.

Such a small pleasure, to be able to remove the ads and put a couple of new books on in time for his birthday (without opening the package), gone.

I suppose it’s a piracy thing? Could it be in direct response to a post on here about trying to change a serial number? No, that is paranoia. Still, it’s the end of a little era.
does he have his own account? add an amazon gift card with it so he can purchase something. that may bring some of the fun back
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:15 PM   #9
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
does he have his own account? add an amazon gift card with it so he can purchase something. that may bring some of the fun back
No, we share an account, but I might just buy him a gift card anyway!

Replying to your earlier post now (don’t know how to add two quotes though): I might contact customer service and get them to add the kindle to their account from their end. I wasn’t aware of missing a registration step during ordering - I mean, I’ve ordered tons of these things over the years with no hitch.

I think the new colors look gorgeous, I wish it had the color changing light, yes. He really doesn’t like the shape of my Oasis though, and I am always complaining about its battery life, so that was never an option. This one I think is so nice with the colored back that it might be good to use without a cover. I’m jealous of his present.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Sorry, totally missed that. I've always to go through and complete registration on a new Kindle, but they always showed on my account by the time they shipped.

I see Amazon has a new policy. Good to know.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:16 AM   #11
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Can you please give the first six characters of the serial number.
New sage PW4 is not listed in our wiki
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:57 AM   #12
Pjama
Guru

Unhappy

I am very very sorry everyone.

I just reviewed my order, and I see there is an option to 'share gift receipt' so I must have absent-mindedly selected this when placing the order, I feel very stupid.

Sorry for scaremongering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Can you please give the first six characters of the serial number.
New sage PW4 is not listed in our wiki
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
Of course! It is G0016V

Green number 1?
Old 07-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #13
Pjama
Guru

Quick follow-up update after my stupidity last week.

When I saw that the PW was on sale this week (of course! just after I bought it!) I contacted amazon CS. I asked them to help by putting the new unopened kindle on my/our account, and also asked them to remove the ads for free as a courtesy, and really to save me returning this one, then reordering another one at the cheaper price. Which would be further complicated as I had used a trade-in of 20% which would not reappear in my cart until amazon received the return back.

So, they did this for me, and super quickly and efficiently. Really wonderful customer service.

And now I can load some books on it for him, and he won't have to look at stupid ads. And I don't feel cheated for buying when it was full price.