Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #391
Yayasuminu
Yayasuminu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
"If the contents of the book with edits included is desired, disable the KPF Extract file type plugin to import KPF files unchanged for conversion by this plugin."

So... I am dealing with a problem to convert KPF files to mobi, because calibre DOESN'T recognize it as a KPF file, but as a DOCX instead. So how can I disable this KPF extract mentioned? I really need to fix this problem.
Yayasuminu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #392
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayasuminu View Post
So how can I disable this KPF extract mentioned?
To disable the KPF Extract plugin:
  • Click on the "Preferences" icon
  • Click on the "Plugins" icon (in the Advanced section)
  • Expand the "File type plugins" section
  • Select "KPF Extract (1.0.0) by Kovid Goyal" so that it is highlighted
  • Click the "Enable/disable plugin" button below (The message "This plugin has been disabled" will appear below the plugin description.)
  • Click the "Apply" button
Repeat this procedure if you want to re-enable the plugin in the future.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-06-2020 at 04:06 PM. Reason: left out the last step
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #393
mexofeed1
mexofeed1 began at the beginning.

Device: Supernote A5X
Quote:
Import cannot currently be performed on KFX books downloaded using Kindle for PC/Mac version 1.25 or greater due to new DRM.
Is this still true for the latest versions of KFX Input and Apprentice Alf's tools? The deDRM blog says that you can use Kindle For PC 1.26 without a problem.
mexofeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #394
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexofeed1 View Post
Is this still true for the latest versions of KFX Input and Apprentice Alf's tools? The deDRM blog says that you can use Kindle For PC 1.26 without a problem.
The information in the first post of this thread is out of date. I will fix it.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #395
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.34.0 - 12 Sep 2020

By default books that use a fixed layout, such as comics and print replica books, will no longer convert within calibre. The option to ignore errors can be used to force conversion, but will yield poor results. Use the KFX Input CLI for those books instead.

Add option to plugin CLI to extract PDF resources from KFX print replica books and to create a PDF file from KFX comic books.

Fix scaling of pixels and handle rotated pages when print replica to fixed-layout EPUB. (Fixes "Unexpected Ion symbols used: $549" and "Unexpected style definition: -webkit-transform")

Support additional KFX features. (Fixes "Unexpected Ion symbols used: $765, $766")

Internal code restructuring.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #396
amidcrescentsuns
amidcrescentsuns began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Version 1.34.0 - 12 Sep 2020

By default books that use a fixed layout, such as comics and print replica books, will no longer convert within calibre. The option to ignore errors can be used to force conversion, but will yield poor results. Use the KFX Input CLI for those books instead.

Add option to plugin CLI to extract PDF resources from KFX print replica books and to create a PDF file from KFX comic books.

Fix scaling of pixels and handle rotated pages when print replica to fixed-layout EPUB. (Fixes "Unexpected Ion symbols used: $549" and "Unexpected style definition: -webkit-transform")

Support additional KFX features. (Fixes "Unexpected Ion symbols used: $765, $766")

Internal code restructuring.
Dear jhowell,

Could you be so kind to explain to a non-technical user how precisely to operate the command line interface [CLI]? I have located the "calibre-debug" unix executable file but have not succeeded at executing the code you provide on the first page. To be honest, I am not even sure if I am supposed to be inputting anything into that specific file. I have attempted to input the code with a dozen variations in an attempt to solve this myself, but would really appreciate a more specific explanation. Thank you for your time.
amidcrescentsuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:03 AM   #397
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidcrescentsuns View Post
Dear jhowell,

Could you be so kind to explain to a non-technical user how precisely to operate the command line interface [CLI]? I have located the "calibre-debug" unix executable file but have not succeeded at executing the code you provide on the first page. To be honest, I am not even sure if I am supposed to be inputting anything into that specific file. I have attempted to input the code with a dozen variations in an attempt to solve this myself, but would really appreciate a more specific explanation. Thank you for your time.
Documentation for calibre-debug can be found here.

I do not use Linux so I cannot provide exact instructions for your system. In general the steps needed are as follows:
  • Import the book using the calibre GUI. It should import as KFX format. If it shows KFX-ZIP instead then something went wrong with the import process and you will need to correct that before proceeding.
  • Export the book format from calibre using the "Save to disk" function. Choose a destination that you will be able to find later. (Using the option to "Save to disk in a single directory" may make the exported file easier to find.)
  • Launch a terminal window for entry of commands and change to the directory that contains your exported file.
  • Enter the command to invoke the plugin. For example, if your exported file is named Frankenstein - Mary W. Shelley.kfx you can convert to EPUB with the command:
    calibre-debug -r "KFX Input" -- -e "Frankenstein - Mary W. Shelley.kfx"
    Or you can to extract any embedded PDF resources with the command:
    calibre-debug -r "KFX Input" -- -p "Frankenstein - Mary W. Shelley.kfx"
    (Note the a combination of single and double dashes are needed.)
Old 09-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #398
amidcrescentsuns

Quote:
Documentation for calibre-debug can be found here.

I do not use Linux so I cannot provide exact instructions for your system. In general the steps needed are as follows:
  • Import the book using the calibre GUI. It should import as KFX format. If it shows KFX-ZIP instead then something went wrong with the import process and you will need to correct that before proceeding.
  • Export the book format from calibre using the "Save to disk" function. Choose a destination that you will be able to find later. (Using the option to "Save to disk in a single directory" may make the exported file easier to find.)
  • Launch a terminal window for entry of commands and change to the directory that contains your exported file.
  • Enter the command to invoke the plugin. For example, if your exported file is named Frankenstein - Mary W. Shelley.kfx you can convert to EPUB with the command:
    calibre-debug -r "KFX Input" -- -e "Frankenstein - Mary W. Shelley.kfx"
    Or you can to extract any embedded PDF resources with the command:
    calibre-debug -r "KFX Input" -- -p "Frankenstein - Mary W. Shelley.kfx"
    (Note the a combination of single and double dashes are needed.)

Dear Jhowell,
Thanks so much for this speedy reply. I am afraid that my knowledge is still too amateur to be able to keep up here (I really have no experience using terminal at all). I have succeeded at importing my book into calibre, and exporting it as a .kfx. I also managed to open terminal and change my directory to the folder containing my exported .kfx. However, when I enter the code, terminal says it does not recognize the command "calibre-debug." I even attempted to move the .kfx file into "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS", which contains the "calibre-debug" executable, and set this folder as my directory, but terminal still did not recognize the command.

Apologies as i know this is extremely basic stuff for you. But any further assistance would be immensly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #399
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
However, when I enter the code, terminal says it does not recognize the command "calibre-debug." I even attempted to move the .kfx file into "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS", which contains the "calibre-debug" executable, and set this folder as my directory, but terminal still did not recognize the command.
I am not an expert on MacOS, but I believe that it should work if you use the full path for the command:

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug
Old 09-25-2020, 06:50 PM   #400
amidcrescentsuns

Quote:
I am not an expert on MacOS, but I believe that it should work if you use the full path for the command:

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug
This worked! Thank you so much for your generosity here.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #401
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This worked! Thank you so much for your generosity here.
I'm happy to hear that it is working for you.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:17 AM   #402
AccidentallyLazy
AccidentallyLazy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
"calibre, version 4.22.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert Becoming Eichmann: Rethinking the Life, Crimes, and Trial of a "Desk Murderer"</b><br><br><b>KFX creation error:</b> Unknown com.amazon.yjconversion feature: reflow-style-13</p>"

Getting this error, anyone know how to fix?
AccidentallyLazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #403
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentallyLazy View Post
"calibre, version 4.22.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert Becoming Eichmann: Rethinking the Life, Crimes, and Trial of a "Desk Murderer"</b><br><br><b>KFX creation error:</b> Unknown com.amazon.yjconversion feature: reflow-style-13</p>"

Getting this error, anyone know how to fix?
I will release an update to this plugin that addresses this problem shortly.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #404
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.35.0 - 23 Oct 2020

Support additional KFX features. (Fixes "Unexpected Ion symbols used: $432", "Unknown com.amazon.yjconversion feature: reflow-style-13", and "Unknown com.amazon.yjconversion feature: yj_mixed_writing_mode-1")
Old 10-29-2020, 12:14 AM   #405
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I have been using an old version of Kindle for PC2 under Windows 10 for ages and have been able to archive Kindle files by dropping into Calibre.

I inadvertently allowed Kindle for PC2 to be updated -- 1.30.0 (59056). The Calibre version I am using is Release: 5.3 [16 Oct, 2020].

Am I stuck forever or is the Calibre plugin updated periodically to catch up with Kindle for PC2 updates? Alternately, can I deinstall this Kindle for PC2 and find an older version somewhere?

Many thanks.

I see there are a couple of threads elsewhere on K4PC updates to 1.30.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 10-29-2020 at 01:02 AM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote