Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-04-2022, 06:52 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Google now as greedy as Apple?

In the last couple of weeks I've gotten two emails, one from PocketBook and one from Barnes & Noble, both saying the same thing (paraphrased); "Due to changes in Google Play Store terms we will no longer be able to offer in-app purchases starting on such and such a date." Apparently, like Apple, Google now expects a 30% commission on every in-app sale on the Android platform. And, like Apple, isn't this a conflict of interest? — since both Apple and Google sell eBooks? So if Barnes & Noble sells a book via their Android (or Apple) app that costs $9, they would have to sell it for $12 to stay even with Apple or Google. Seems like an anti-trust case just waiting to happen to me.

I thought Google, at one time anyhow, ridiculed Apple for charging so much in-app commission. Looks like the greed bug bit Google as well.

EDIT: It looks like even Audible is subject to the Google Greed Tax. But not the Kindle app? (Unless Amazon is already paying 30%?)

https://screenrant.com/audible-barne...le-play-store/

Last edited by rcentros; 04-04-2022 at 06:59 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:18 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The linked article doesn't say that Google will be taking a cut of in-app purchases, only that any in-app purchases must use Google Pay, rather than other payment schemes (e.g. Paypal, Debit cards, etc).

Do you have another source for the idea that Google is demanding a cut?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The linked article doesn't say that Google will be taking a cut of in-app purchases, only that any in-app purchases must use Google Pay, rather than other payment schemes (e.g. Paypal, Debit cards, etc).

Google Play drops all subscription commissions to 15% from day one (Oct 2021)

Quote:
Following a program that Google started in March 2021, the company is now lowering commissions on all Google Play app subscriptions to 15% from the first day of service instead of after a year.

Google's previous commission on subscriptions was the same as Apple's — 30% for the first year, and 15% thereafter. Google says that 99% of all subscription app developers qualify for the lower 15% commission.

Additionally, it is cutting costs for participants in the Play Media Experience Program. App developers in that program, largely e-book vendors and streaming music services like Spotify, will have fees cut to as low as 10%.
Couldn't find anything about individual purchases yet.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-04-2022 at 10:17 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:17 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

There are quite a few sources stating that Google has a 30% cut for most purchases and a 15% cut for recurring subscriptions and/or the first million (currency of your choice) of purchases by a developer. This is done by Google Play store billing system.

In past Google did not enforce their existing rule that payments made through an app from the Play Store were required to use Google Play Store billing system but they had been moving to enforce that rule. I remember reading articles about this in the fall of 2020.

Items such as:

Last edited by DNSB; 04-04-2022 at 10:20 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:48 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Google Play drops all subscription commissions to 15% from day one (Oct 2021)

Couldn't find anything about individual purchases yet.
From your link...

Quote:
After the developer passes the $1 million in revenue milestone for the year, the fee will return to its usual 30% level. Once the year is up, the fee will again reduce down to 15%, until the developer again passes $1 million in app sales and in-app purchases.
I'm guessing Audible and Barnes & Noble sell more than a million dollars worth of online content in a year.
Advert
Old 04-04-2022, 03:56 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, I think that this enforcement is why several apps no longer do in-app purchases. One ereader app I use now opens the web browser when you click on recommended book. Much like using the Kindle app on iOS.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:16 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

BTW, this is the announcement email I received from Barnes & Noble on April 1st...

Quote:
Functionality Change on the
B&N NOOK Android App

As a result of Google app store policy changes, you will no longer be able to make purchases of digital content in the B&N NOOK Android app, including in the app on NOOK 10" HD Tablet Designed with Lenovo. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

As an alternative, digital content can be purchased on BN.com via your web browser or on a NOOK eReader. Items purchased on BN.com and NOOK eReaders will synchronize across your other devices, including any with the B&N NOOK Android app and NOOK 10" HD Tablet Designed with Lenovo, allowing easy access to your library of eBooks and Audiobooks anytime, anywhere.

To help you keep track of your picks, items added to your Wishlist on B&N NOOK apps and NOOK devices seamlessly carry over to BN.com for later purchasing.

We appreciate your loyalty and apologize for this change to the B&N NOOK Android app functionality that follows Google app store policy changes. For additional details, please visit here.

Thank you for understanding.
The Barnes & Noble NOOK Team
If you follow the link for more information in this email you'll get this...

Quote:
Purchasing NOOK Content on Android Devices

As of April 4, 2022, with the release of NOOK Software Version 6.1, the ability to purchase has been removed from the Barnes & Noble NOOK App for Android and the NOOK HD 10” Designed with Lenovo.

Digital content purchases can be made on BN.com using the account registered to your NOOK account, which will then sync to your Library. Additionally, you can add books to your Wishlist from the app, which will sync with your Wishlist on BN.com so you can remember and purchase your favorites easily.

If your app has not updated, you will be able to continue purchasing through the app. However, once you install the update, you will not be able to roll back to the previous version.

This update does not affect any NOOK devices other than the NOOK HD 10” Designed with Lenovo.
So, apparently, one of the "work-arounds" is to NOT update your Nook App.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:54 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
BTW, I think that this enforcement is why several apps no longer do in-app purchases. One ereader app I use now opens the web browser when you click on recommended book. Much like using the Kindle app on iOS.
The first time I ran into this was with a Vudu app. They had "scan your DVD to buy a discounted streaming version" feature built in. My wife and I upgraded our library (using my Android phone) but there were a few more she wanted to add, so she loaded the Vudu app on to her iPhone and found the scan feature wasn't implemented there (they directed her to go to the browser instead). I researched a little and found Apple wanted 30% to allow this. I thought, "no wonder they use a work-around." At the time Google either didn't charge the 30% or they were lenient about letting companies bypass it. I wonder if Vudu still allows this within their Android app.

I can understand some commission. But 30%? That would be crippling, especially for competitors to Google and Apple.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:15 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks, all. So Google are charging commission on in-app purchases.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:52 AM   #10
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The first time I ran into this was with a Vudu app. They had "scan your DVD to buy a discounted streaming version" feature built in. My wife and I upgraded our library (using my Android phone) but there were a few more she wanted to add, so she loaded the Vudu app on to her iPhone and found the scan feature wasn't implemented there (they directed her to go to the browser instead). I researched a little and found Apple wanted 30% to allow this. I thought, "no wonder they use a work-around." At the time Google either didn't charge the 30% or they were lenient about letting companies bypass it. I wonder if Vudu still allows this within their Android app.

I can understand some commission. But 30%? That would be crippling, especially for competitors to Google and Apple.
Apple recently removed the ability to buy/rent movies/shows from Apple TV on Android TV and you couldn't do it previously on FireTV (I'm guessing Amazon has a similar rule). Which I think is kinda funny and kinda sad at the same time. They want everyone to pay a 30% cut but aren't willing to do it themselves...wonder why.

Instead we all have to get worse products and features because they need to rent seek as much as possible.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:01 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What I'm getting out of all of this, is that Google is going to finally get around to enforcing their previously existing (but unenforced) rule that payments made through an app from the Play Store must now use the Google Play Store billing system. A change that has been announced as "coming soon" for over a year now.

The 30% (15% on recurring subscriptions) commission was already in place for those who already bill through the Play Store.

Is that about it?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-05-2022 at 10:47 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:41 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What I'm getting out of all of this, is that Google is going to finally get around to enforcing their previously existing (but unenforced) rule that payments made through an app from the Play Store must now use the Google Play Store billing system. A change that has been announced as "coming soon" for over a year now.

The 30% (15% on recurring subscriptions) commission was already in place for those who already bill through the Play Store.

Is that about it?
Pretty accurate summation.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Apple recently removed the ability to buy/rent movies/shows from Apple TV on Android TV and you couldn't do it previously on FireTV (I'm guessing Amazon has a similar rule). Which I think is kinda funny and kinda sad at the same time. They want everyone to pay a 30% cut but aren't willing to do it themselves...wonder why.

Instead we all have to get worse products and features because they need to rent seek as much as possible.
Amazon cut some deal with Apple a while back: you can purchase from Prime Video on Apple TV and iOS.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:04 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Is that about it?
That's about it, as far as it goes. Still amounts to pure greed, in my opinion. It seems to me that Google was "making hay" a few years back on how they weren't greedy, like Apple (who was charging an "outrageous" 30%). I guess this is what you get when two platforms control some 90%+ of mobile devices. A "duoopoly." There does seem to be some anti-trust mutterings out there, so who knows how long Apple and Google can keep doing this.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:56 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's always antitrust mutterings. So I don't know that there's really anything to "keep doing". It's not like Google requires users to only install/buy apps from the Play Store. And vendors can charge for (and provide downloads for) their apps any way they see fit. That vendors want their apps to be available via the Google Play Store is hardly evidence that they've got no choice but to do so. *shrug*
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote