Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
Byjuak
Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Question Possible to speed up indexing - PW2

I find my Kindle Paperwhite 2 somewhat slow at indexing, perhaps not any slower than others with the same model but still, it's slow. I guess minimizing index corruption or issues one could only add 1 book at a time until it's indexed then add another.

Other than that, any possible way? Is it faster if you leave the display on, if it's charging, regularly rebooting?
Byjuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
How many did you add at once?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
Byjuak
Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
How many did you add at once?
I added 5 yesterday and 2 today. It still says 7 is indexing.

I find myself needing to defragment the Kindle. Is that normal? I mean, perhaps most people don't care but I find it annoying when it's fragmented 10-30% and I can feel it's extra slow. Usually disappears either by a defrag, a reboot or no books left to index.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You do not Defrag a kindle.
Must ask, where did you get these books and what format?
It sounds like one of the book files is corrupted.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
Byjuak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You do not Defrag a kindle.
Must ask, where did you get these books and what format?
It sounds like one of the book files is corrupted.

MOBI and I got them from Gutenberg. I think I'm going to delete the large ones and let the small ones finish the index then add the larger ones one at a time.

Why shouldn't one defrag a kindle?
Advert
Old 07-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Indexing is faster if you leave the Kindle plugged in. Otherwise it's pretty slow. I've noticed it often takes several days to index all the newly added books, if I leave it unplugged.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
Byjuak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Indexing is faster if you leave the Kindle plugged in. Otherwise it's pretty slow. I've noticed it often takes several days to index all the newly added books, if I leave it unplugged.
Really? To a computer or through a charger or doesn't it matter?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
To a charger.

Connecting to a computer will try to form a data connection, which interferes with properly charging.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
Byjuak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
To a charger.

Connecting to a computer will try to form a data connection, which interferes with properly charging.
Thanks, good to know. I rebooted it then plugged it but then I noticed it jumped down to 6 almost immediately then 20 minutes later it's down 2, it might have gotten stuck somehow.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #10
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Also try a restart. I just did that recently and the indexing process was orders of magnitude faster after the restart.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #11
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
To a charger.

Well, you can eject the Kindle while still leaving it connected to the computer. I sideload all my books from Calibre, then eject the Kindle from Calibre while still leaving it connected via USB so it can finish indexing and charge at the same time. Granted, I usually never load more than 4 or 5 books at a time, but it doesn't take very long to finish the indexing. Then I generally leave it plugged in till its fully charged.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've sometimes loaded several hundred books in one session (mostly after I've gotten a new Kindle). If I leave the Kindle plugged in for the night (usually to a charger, sometimes to the laptop), it indexes a lot faster. Unplugged, indexing so many books can take a week. I don't remember anything being stuck indexing indefinitely, ever. All my Kindles have always managed to finish indexing at some point, sooner or later. You just have to be patient.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:07 AM   #13
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I've sometimes loaded several hundred books in one session (mostly after I've gotten a new Kindle). If I leave the Kindle plugged in for the night (usually to a charger, sometimes to the laptop), it indexes a lot faster. Unplugged, indexing so many books can take a week. I don't remember anything being stuck indexing indefinitely, ever. All my Kindles have always managed to finish indexing at some point, sooner or later. You just have to be patient.
Yeah, on firmware 5.6.x and lower (at least) the indexer is viciously down-prioritized while running on battery and can take hours to do a few books. (This may still be true for 5.7.x+, but it's so damn fast there that I can't tell: I've dumped 20MiB mobis onto my 5.8.x Oasis before now and had them indexed in five minutes on battery.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #14
Byjuak

Quote:
Several hundred?! I once tried to load a large PDF, perhaps 20MB+ and after a few minutes, the Kindle forced a reboot..ever since then I avoid PDFs. Granted, I neither charged it nor did I leave it over night, next time I load a larger book I'll try that, very good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Yeah, on firmware 5.6.x and lower (at least) the indexer is viciously down-prioritized while running on battery and can take hours to do a few books. (This may still be true for 5.7.x+, but it's so damn fast there that I can't tell: I've dumped 20MiB mobis onto my 5.8.x Oasis before now and had them indexed in five minutes on battery.)
Oasis is a newer model, doesn't it have a faster CPU or drive than the older Paperwhite versions? Anyway, it makes sense that I always thought indexing was slow as I've almost never put into a charger for the sake of indexing.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #15
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byjuak View Post
Oasis is a newer model, doesn't it have a faster CPU or drive than the older Paperwhite versions? Anyway, it makes sense that I always thought indexing was slow as I've almost never put into a charger for the sake of indexing.
It's probably a combination of the faster CPU, the doubling of RAM, and most of all the rewritten indexer in these later firmware versions. My PW1 is still notably slow at indexing, but far faster than it used to be when it was running 5.4.4 rather than 5.6.1.1.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote