Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 06:32 AM   #1
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Albert Uderzo dies aged 92

Co creator of the Asterix comics is no more.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...rzo-dies-at-92
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:55 AM   #2
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Oh, so sad. But 92 is a good age. I have a fairly complete set of the English language editions tucked away, at least up to no 28.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Asterix and Tintin are my favourite graphic novels. I wish I could read in French!
You can keep your Marvel & DC!
Though the graphic 'The Last Hero' by Terry Pratchett is good.

The Gauls are of course Celts and the Romans did write a lot of lies about Celts. A Celtic tribe sacked Rome in retribution over Roman perfidy in mediation between some Celts and Etruscans.
"The only thing they feared was the sky falling on them." Very authentic. Part of an old Celtic oath and in a document when Celtic Mercenaries agreed to help guard Macedonia when Eskandar (Alexander) the Great went off to conquer.
"If I break this vow, may the sky fall upon me, may the earth open to swallow me up, and may the sea rise to sweep me away." Though it would have been in a proto Gaeiic.
One tribe of Celts got in trouble with EVERYONE for sacking Delphi.
The Helvetii (see name of Switzerland) helped guide Hannibal across the Alps.
Cleopatra (not really Egyptian, descended from one of Alexander's Generals) employed Celtic Mercenaries.
Celts in Southern Ireland (copper) and Cornwall (tin) traded bronze across the Med for gold and wine, so the Greeks knew them and called them the Keltoi.

There is a curious amount of real history in Asterix. Some more accurate than Julius Caesar's biased accounts. The Romans really, really hated the Celts (Gauls).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Asterix and Tintin are my favourite graphic novels. I wish I could read in French!
You can keep your Marvel & DC!
Though the graphic 'The Last Hero' by Terry Pratchett is good.

The Gauls are of course Celts and the Romans did write a lot of lies about Celts. A Celtic tribe sacked Rome in retribution over Roman perfidy in mediation between some Celts and Etruscans.
"The only thing they feared was the sky falling on them." Very authentic. Part of an old Celtic oath and in a document when Celtic Mercenaries agreed to help guard Macedonia when Eskandar (Alexander) the Great went off to conquer.
"If I break this vow, may the sky fall upon me, may the earth open to swallow me up, and may the sea rise to sweep me away." Though it would have been in a proto Gaeiic.
One tribe of Celts got in trouble with EVERYONE for sacking Delphi.
The Helvetii (see name of Switzerland) helped guide Hannibal across the Alps.
Cleopatra (not really Egyptian, descended from one of Alexander's Generals) employed Celtic Mercenaries.
Celts in Southern Ireland (copper) and Cornwall (tin) traded bronze across the Med for gold and wine, so the Greeks knew them and called them the Keltoi.

There is a curious amount of real history in Asterix. Some more accurate than Julius Caesar's biased accounts. The Romans really, really hated the Celts (Gauls).
There are a lot of what some would call easter eggs in all of the albums. If you want more of the cleverness and humor of Asterix you could do worse than try Lucky Luke and Iznogoud. But you must know when to stop reading these series. Read until it no longer says 'text by Goscinny' in these works. Because Rene Goscinny was the brains behind these best selling albums.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Oh, so sad. But 92 is a good age. I have a fairly complete set of the English language editions tucked away, at least up to no 28.
See post above. The last collaboration on Asterix is when they go to Belgium.
Advert
Old 03-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Read until it no longer says 'text by Goscinny' in these works. Because Rene Goscinny was the brains behind these best selling albums.
Yes.
However they were a good team.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #7
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes.
However they were a good team.
Agreed, Quoth.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
And from what I saw, and I guess this needs to be said, it wasn't COVID-19.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:57 AM   #9
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
And from what I saw, and I guess this needs to be said, it wasn't COVID-19.
Indeed. Uderzo died of heart failure in his sleep.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:09 AM   #10
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I mean, he was apparently in the age group most suceptible to dying from it.

But this age group's also pretty suceptible to dying from just about everything, so...
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I mean, he was apparently in the age group most suceptible to dying from it.

But this age group's also pretty suceptible to dying from just about everything, so...
Yep, once you reach a certain age, it can be a case of what's going to get you first - heart failure, kidney failure or lungs issues, everything just starts failing about the same time.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Unless you are a lobster. Then eventually you are overwhelmed by parasites and barnacles.
Ageing is something to do with DNA degrading and lack of cell replication. Tinkering with it might result in cancers.

We don't actually understand why a few people live to over 110, or why most creatures age. Also you'd want to re-grow teeth like a shark does if you lived long.