Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
K8HW
Connoisseur
K8HW began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A03s, Galaxy Tab A, Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen), Nexus 7
Exclamation Calibre takes a long time to open

For some reason Calibre is taking two minutes to start up. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I started Calibre in debug mode and have attached the file.

Thanks ~ Dave
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre log.txt (2.2 KB, 238 views)
K8HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8HW View Post
For some reason Calibre is taking two minutes to start up.

It is advisable to compact your Calibre metadata.db database periodically. The menu path is Calibre > Library > Library Maintenance > Check Library. It will perform a SQLite Vacuum operation to condense/compact/defrag the database. Example before and after a Vacuum:

Before compacting<<<----------->>>After compacting:
Page Count = 118,342<<<---------->>>Page Count = 3,606
Database Size = 121,182,208 bytes<<>>Database Size = 3,692,544 bytes
So, the metadata.db file went from over 121mb to less than 4mb in size.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Wowzer. I've never done that, and I've been using Calibre since the Sony 500 days (wasn't it called something like Libre500 back then?)

I hope I remember to do this when I get home from work.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Wowzer. I've never done that, and I've been using Calibre since the Sony 500 days (wasn't it called something like Libre500 back then?)

I hope I remember to do this when I get home from work.
If you have lots of Author, title or book churn, the DB grows fast. Any rename (Author or Title) creates a new record. Any deleted (all usage) Tags, publisher... deletes the record.

Thes ar 'soft deletes' until you run the maintenance tool.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'm wondering more about the startup time for the calibre server. If you turn off the automatic startup for the calibre server, does that have any effect on your startup time? On my laptop, it takes the startup time to 6.09 seconds which is not even close to your 2 minutes+ but I am not seeing the DEBUG httphelper and SMART_DEV lines.

Code:
Started up in 5.66 seconds with 7423 books
Started up in 6.09 seconds with 7423 books
The debug message around EpubMerge and the fanficfare_macmenuhack seems to show up rather often but I doubt that it is causing the long startup time.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Things to try:

1) Start calibre from the command prompt with --ignore-plugins
2) You have the wireless device connection running on startup, disable that and see if it makes a difference
3) Create a new empty library and see if starting up with that library makes a difference
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
K8HW
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Things to try:

1) Start calibre from the command prompt with --ignore-plugins
2) You have the wireless device connection running on startup, disable that and see if it makes a difference
3) Create a new empty library and see if starting up with that library makes a difference
That did the trick. I created a new blank library and Calibre starts right up.

I am puzzled. This behavior started after the last update to 3.17. I also went under Library Maintenance and did a check library. No error messages.

Any more suggestions, please.

~ Dave
Old 02-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@K8HW - do you have any custom columns built from other columns via templates ? They've been known to slow things down.

What version of calibre were you running before you updated to 3.17 ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can try attaching the metadata.db file from your calibre library and I'll see if I can reproduce the issue. (but dont do that if you dont want people to know what books you have in your library).
Old 02-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
K8HW
Connoisseur

Quote:
You can try attaching the metadata.db file from your calibre library and I'll see if I can reproduce the issue. (but dont do that if you dont want people to know what books you have in your library).
I do have custom columns, but none using templates. Here is my metadata.db file. Thanks in advance for your help.

~Dave
Attached Files
File Type: zip metadata.zip (3.59 MB, 115 views)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Starts up in 1.3 seconds with that metadata.db on my machine. Other common causes of slowdowns are antivirus programs interfering, try excluding the calibre library folder from your antivirus.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #12
K8HW
Connoisseur

Quote:
Starts up in 1.3 seconds with that metadata.db on my machine. Other common causes of slowdowns are antivirus programs interfering, try excluding the calibre library folder from your antivirus.
I turned off the antivirus and it made no difference. I kind of wonder if it is the current version as I didn't have any problems until the last upgrade to 3.17. I'll try to go down one version. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again for your assistance.

~Dave
Old 02-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #13
K8HW
Connoisseur

I just removed Calibre 3.17 and installed version 3.16. Calibre now starts up in 2.6 seconds. It appears to be an issue with the latest version!

~Dave
Old 02-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm odd, the only new thing that could possibly affect startup times in 3.17 is the new split view for the book list, but you dont have that enabled, so it should not matter.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:45 AM   #15
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Reinstall 3.17 and see if the slow performance comes back?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote